PDA

View Full Version : Black & Decker rotary sander/polisher @ PepBoys

imported_Termigator
04-21-2009, 01:23 PM
I was checking out the paint/bondo section at the local PepBoys and found a Black & Decker rotary polisher/sander for $69. Does anyone know anything about that? It looked decent and the box says it has an 11-amp motor. I tried searching for it on Google but didn`t find any info on it. The casing was still in the old Black & Decker colors (black and pewter, not the newer orange and black colors.

Old Pirate
04-21-2009, 03:05 PM
We have the Vector Professional Circular Polisher for 79.95.

imported_Termigator
04-21-2009, 05:14 PM
We have the Vector Professional Circular Polisher for 79.95.

So, going by the price of the Vector and the B & D I found at Pep Boys, what makes the the Makita and Dewalt over $130 better? Longer warranty? Smoother/quieter operation?:)
I

Tuck91
04-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Can you find Rotary buffers at Home Depot or lowes.

imported_Termigator
04-21-2009, 07:00 PM
I`ve seen grinders and sanders, but not buffer/polishers. Lowe`s doesn`t even have the PC anymore. Not in the stores near me anyways.

Todd@RUPES
04-22-2009, 11:15 PM
So, going by the price of the Vector and the B & D I found at Pep Boys, what makes the the Makita and Dewalt over $130 better? Longer warranty? Smoother/quieter operation?:)
I

Great question... I have never used a Vector but Captian Jack assures me that it with over 500 sold the ONLY complaint ever (in 3 years!) as that a gentleman snagged his powercord in the buffer while it was running and it mangled it pretty bad.

I have heard that they are pretty loud and sound kind of like a chain saw, however they obviously work well.

I don`t know the exact differences between some of the lesser brands, but the Makita just feels right. I would guess, in the competitive power tool market, that you get what you pay for. The only issue I have ever hand with my Makita has been the power cord, but it is just such a great machine with such a great feel.

The only cheaper rotary I had experience with was from Coastal Tool, called a Chicago. It bogged with the slightest pressure, was load, and generally felt cheap, until it self-destructed after about 20 hours of use...

You used to be able to find a DeWalt DW849 or a Makita 9227c in certain stores, but not for a long time...

I`ve seen grinders and sanders, but not buffer/polishers. Lowe`s doesn`t even have the PC anymore. Not in the stores near me anyways.

That`s right, I hadn`t even noticed until you mentioned it, but looking back on it... The store on Red Bug used to carry the PC7424, I used to work there...

Claude
05-09-2009, 07:08 AM

I have noticed that neither retailer carries them inStock but they will order either one for you. If you need it fast or same day look for a Grainger, they usually have power tools in stock.
Thats where I bought mine.

Claude

imported_BretFraz
05-09-2009, 07:16 AM
I was checking out the paint/bondo section at the local PepBoys and found a Black & Decker rotary polisher/sander for $69. Does anyone know anything about that? It looked decent and the box says it has an 11-amp motor. I tried searching for it on Google but didn`t find any info on it. The casing was still in the old Black & Decker colors (black and pewter, not the newer orange and black colors.

Did you get a part number?
Is it new in a box?
Does it look like a new product or something that was lost in a warehouse for 20 years?

It might be worth buying if its what I think it is. The old B&D rotary was THE industry standard in the 1970`s and 80`s. Every detailer and body shop guy had one. When B&D merged with the DeWalt brand, the polisher became the DeWalt DW849, basically the same machine as the B&D unit.

EDIT

Is it this thing? I found it at CPO Outlet for $70. Not the same as I described above.

http://www.cpobd.com/images/product/blackdecker/large/wp107b.jpg

imported_Termigator
05-09-2009, 08:09 AM
I found out the model is WP 107B. It`s the same as the one one you have pictured. Looks like the Vector. I would make sense. I read somewhere that Vector merged or got bought by B & D.