PDA

View Full Version : Best method for clear bras

Greg Nichols
04-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Okay,

I`m still having issues with polishing and cleaning clear bras. I honestly hate them...........there I said it.

What is the best method for polishing them? I`ve tired 106fa/ff, IP, 205, etc but all I get is hazy bras. The only thing that cleared them up, but still worried about longevity issues, was DWG.

Cheers,
GREG

MadOzodi
04-05-2009, 11:19 PM
I`ve read that 3M ClearBras can be polished, but Ventureshield bras shouldn`t/can`t be polished. Do you know which type film you`re going up against? I have a Ventureshield bra and they recommend using only Plexus, no abrasives. Being stubborn, I tried SIP and got nowhere on a spot bug stain.

imported_Asphalt Rocket
04-05-2009, 11:29 PM
I had one that was very hazy and used M105 on a wool pad, followed up with Ultrafina and it looked great.

Greg Nichols
04-05-2009, 11:32 PM
I don`t know which brand, and neither does the owner. I just got done with some more searching, and see that 3M says not to polish or wax. I guess its better to just stay away from trying to "fix" them.

Cheers,
GREG

D!Tailed
04-06-2009, 10:41 AM
I don`t know which brand, and neither does the owner. I just got done with some more searching, and see that 3M says not to polish or wax. I guess its better to just stay away from trying to "fix" them.

Cheers,
GREG

This is info from another board I am on:

"You need to use a polish, that`s not too aggressive, to take care of this. For me, Menzerna Super Finish always did the trick.

Also, avoid using Plexus on the film...it will turn it yellow over time. You need a mild polish like Zymol HD Cleanse and a spray wax that contains no yellow carnauba like Field Glaze."

Haven`t tried it myself, but just a heads up.

D!

TOGWT
04-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Clean and maintain the surface with ( Z-8? Grand Finale Spray Seal) or a plastic cleaner (Plexus? Plastic Cleaner, Protectant and Polish) start at the centre and work outwards, do not use a foam pad / rotary buffer / abrasive compound on the plastic surface or detailer?s clay as it will cause micro-fine surface scratches.

To remove minor scratches in the film (tape the edges of the auto mask when polishing the vehicles paint, use a high speed buffer (white foam pad only) and lightly glaze over the material. It is important not to apply a lot of pressure to the film as this may lead to burning of the surface. Work from the centre then towards the edges, not the other way as you may ?catch? an edge and cause it to tear. Use a Q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol to clean out the edge

Maintenance and Care- 1. To clean stains use a citrus based cleaner (P12S Total Auto Wash) polish the paint and the clear plastics separately, tape the edges with masking tape. It has a clear coat so it can be cared for like a clear coated paint; use Zaino or Klasse as they will dry ?clear?. Use Z-14 Plastic Magic Cleaner & Polish? to remove any finger marks / smudges (avoid the use of harsh abrasives)

2. What can be done about wax build up along the seams and how can I avoid it?
Are you sure it`s wax and not the glue from the Clear Bra? As it gets warm, some of them will shrink a little and leave residue around the edges. Gently remove with an adhesive remover on a micro fibre towel and be sure to go over any paint that you get the adhesive remover on with wax and to put vinyl protectant on any clear bra you get the adhesive remover on.

When waxing around a clear bra, mask off the line just a little over the edge with blue painter`s tape. Wax will leave a white line on the seam, use painter?s tape to mask the seams before polishing / waxing and wax the film and uncovered portions separately to keep from wax build-up. When you remove the tape just wipe off the wax on the paint. If you accidentally wax over the seam, use isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and a Q-Tip or a damp micro fibre towel and rub it off. Another caution is to avoid buffing over the seams, which creates a noticeable wax line as well.

Extract from ?Transparent Paint Protection (a.k.a. clear bra)? one of a series of in-depth detailing articles by TOGWT ?

SuperBee364
04-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Cheers,
GREG

I was with Greg on this car, and it surprised me; I have always had great results polishing clear bras with 106ff and a PC. This one was just odd...

imported_Luster
04-08-2009, 09:57 AM
I have used Novus Plastic Scratch Remover with a LC White pad using a PC speed 4.

It`s really designed for plexiglas, but worked well on clearbra.

imported_Auto Concierge
08-25-2009, 10:40 AM
I`ve read that 3M ClearBras can be polished, but Ventureshield bras shouldn`t/can`t be polished. Do you know which type film you`re going up against? I have a Ventureshield bra and they recommend using only Plexus, no abrasives. Being stubborn, I tried SIP and got nowhere on a spot bug stain.

As someone who works with Premier(one of the best and largest film applicator company`s out there)I have found venture can be polished,even rotary can be done if patience is used.106 FA with a Flex or Festool and a medium polish foam pad then switching to a finish pad will deliver results, as there are a few cars I do regularly that the entire car is wrapped(bugatti,cgt,430 scuderia,enzo etc....).

That bug stain needs the heat gun trick,then polishing.

Street Dreams
08-25-2009, 11:37 AM
As someone who works with Premier(one of the best and largest film applicator company`s out there)I have found venture can be polished,even rotary can be done if patience is used.106 FA with a Flex or Festool and a medium polish foam pad then switching to a finish pad will deliver results, as there are a few cars I do regularly that the entire car is wrapped(bugatti,cgt,430 scuderia,enzo etc....).

I agree 100%. Bob and I polished out the phantom with a full premier warp (venture film) using the festool DA (like the flex just a little more power) and Menzerna 106FA and it worked beautifully. I would have never though to DA film until I saw it work on all those cars

Greg Nichols
08-25-2009, 01:14 PM

Bob,
What is the heat gun trick? Will you share?

Cheers,
GREG

imported_Auto Concierge
08-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Bob,
What is the heat gun trick? Will you share?

Cheers,
GREG

Not for the faint of heart........... commercial heat gun set at 360 degrees, put above the affected area 2" to 3" and go over the area for no more than 4-5 seconds and let cool. Repeated applications may be needed(BE CAREFUL OR THE FILM WILL BE RUINED!!!!!!!).

Greg Nichols
08-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Not for the faint of heart........... commercial heat gun set at 360 degrees, put above the affected area 2" to 3" and go over the area for no more than 4-5 seconds and let cool. Repeated applications may be needed(BE CAREFUL OR THE FILM WILL BE RUINED!!!!!!!).

Thanks Bob! I assume that the heating removes the stain? Shrinks the plastic some? I will try it on areas below the grill and see how it goes.

Cheers,
GREG

DetailInPink
02-27-2010, 12:38 AM
I work for a dealership that is trying to sell this car and the swirl marks are unbelievable and the clear bra is cracked beyond recognition. How do you remove this clear bra and what are the chances this has actually HURT the paint underneath rather than protected it ?

These auction cars can be real pieces of work. Any suggestions to restore this 2001 Mercedes back to it`s original paint job.

Thanks

imported_Flash Gordon
02-27-2010, 08:10 AM
I work for a dealership that is trying to sell this car and the swirl marks are unbelievable and the clear bra is cracked beyond recognition. How do you remove this clear bra and what are the chances this has actually HURT the paint underneath rather than protected it ?

These auction cars can be real pieces of work. Any suggestions to restore this 2001 Mercedes back to it`s original paint job.

Thanks

Using a heat gun or hair dryer heat the surface up. Get a corner started and try to get a grip with both hands. Pull at a 90 degree angle. Also, park the car with the Sun heating the front end if possible :2 cents: