PDA

View Full Version : ??? About the claying

Pages : [1] 2

Altimazzz
04-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I recently tried the clay bar thing on my `05 Altima, gray in color. I only did one part of the hood to see what it looked like. When I was done the hood had all kinds of marks all over it. I applied some liquid polish which covered some of the marks, but they can still be seen. Any suggestions?? Or help?? I used Turtle Wax Ice clay and lubricant...

artofdetail
04-05-2009, 07:33 PM
What do the marks look like? Are they scratches?

If they`re scratches then there was something that got caught in the clay that you rubbed up against the paint.

did you use enough lubricant?

The reason i ask, if you spray some form of a QD or lubricant and start sliding the clay back and forth and it sticks, then you need to use more lubricant. You will end up using more QD than you normally would just quick detailing your vehicle. Remember, if the clay sticks a bit while you are sliding it back and forth, just use more lubricant.

Harleyguy
04-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Sounds like the clay was sticking not enough lube.what else have you tried to remove the marks.Post some pics

Tuck91
04-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Try using a very light paint cleaner on these marks with a foam applicator pad.

mrtonyn
04-06-2009, 02:30 AM
I recently tried the clay bar thing on my `05 Altima, gray in color. I only did one part of the hood to see what it looked like. When I was done the hood had all kinds of marks all over it. I applied some liquid polish which covered some of the marks, but they can still be seen. Any suggestions?? Or help?? I used Turtle Wax Ice clay and lubricant...

I just bought the same kit from Kragen and plan on using it soon. I hope it is not because of the quality of the clay. Perhaps you did not use enough lubricant that came with the kit???

TOGWT
04-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Using automotive clay - to remove surface pollutants and abrade the debris from the paint film surface leaving behind an ultra-smooth surface that will make your paint protection adhere better and improve its durability. You can use detailing clay on any smooth, hard surface, including glass (exterior) to remove heavy road film, bug deposits and water spots, and chrome. Do not use on clear plastic, such as headlight lenses as it may cause ?fogging?. The best way to describe the proper method for using detailer clay is to use plenty of the lubricant and aquaplane the clay bar over the surface in straight-line motions, in the direction of airflow and using light hand pressure, you should hear a slight noise and feel some resistance; this is the contaminants being abraded.

mrtonyn
04-06-2009, 11:36 AM
if you ran out of the supplied lubricant that usually comes in a kit?
I have read that mixing with a little shampoo and water should work as well as a lubricant for claying...is this true?

Altimazzz
04-06-2009, 02:42 PM
by the replys I think I have gatherd that I did not use enough lubricant. I think the scraches are very shallow and could be removed, I just havent had time to revisit the situation. I will give it a shot in the near future and post my results,....Thanks to all

imported_firebird
06-07-2010, 10:06 PM
I noticed some scratches as well. Never dropped the clay BUT I did keep it in the wash bucket (with car wash used as lubricant). Bucket has grit guard so didn`t think clay would pick up any particles that way. Maybe I`m wrong?
Is it really best to ONLY use a real lubricant and not car wash suds? Was slippery but maybe the lubricant also prevents scratching and soap doesn`t??

I tried to polish with an orange pad to remove the scratches but I don`t think the polish had enough cut. Never tried M205 or M105, would it be a good time to try them for this purpose?

RED JEWELL SS
06-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Here is one of the Many reasons to keep ONR on your shelf....diluted with a little water makes a great lubricant to use with your clay. :D

imported_firebird
06-07-2010, 11:11 PM
I have some ONR already! I think it says for clay lube, 2 oz per gallon.

RED JEWELL SS
06-07-2010, 11:21 PM
I have some ONR already! I think it says for clay lube, 2 oz per gallon.

Actually ,it works real good about 60/40 water.....then its real slick.
I have heard of folks using Dawn too.

imported_CH.Detailing
06-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Keeping the clay in your wash bucket (even with a grit guard) probably isn`t the best idea. Even though the grit guard will separate the larger contaminates into the bottom of the bucket, you will still have finer contaminate particulates floating in the water. Your wash bucket is basically a solution of soap, water, and dirt; there will always be dirt, even with the best two bucket method and using grit guards.

imported_CH.Detailing
06-07-2010, 11:28 PM
For those of you inducing scratches through claying, it may not be a problem with your method of claying, but with washing. Trying using a QD strength wipe down of ONR after doing your usual washing procedure, you will most likely find a residue of fine dirt particles on your cloth. Obviously, you shouldn`t apply clean clay to a dirty surface.

imported_firebird
06-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks CH...I should have realized that dirt would still be in the water. Makes good sense. :banghead: