PDA

View Full Version : Cure time for Blackfire & FMJ

imported_Termigator
03-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Does anybody know the official cure time of Blackfire (New & old. I have both) & FMJ?

Buddy
03-29-2009, 07:47 PM
FMJ only needs one hour to out gas. Great product...:D

I don`t know about black fire. I haven`t had the opportunity to try it yet...:D

Old Pirate
03-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Wet-Ice over Fire shine requires you to start with one coat of Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection as a foundation. But I like to put 2 coat`s on and wait 8hrs after each coat , Allow these coat`s to cure eight hours (overnight). Now wipe on and buff off one coat of Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax. Again, allow this layer to cure for eight hours or overnight. Finish by wiping on and buffing off a second coat of Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax. With 2 coat`s of BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection and two coats of Midnight Sun Paste Wax #24 your vehicle will look better and wetter than you have ever seen it before............Hope this helps you out................................Angelo

imported_Termigator
03-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Wet-Ice over Fire shine requires you to start with one coat of Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection as a foundation. But I like to put 2 coat`s on and wait 8hrs after each coat , Allow these coat`s to cure eight hours (overnight). Now wipe on and buff off one coat of Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax. Again, allow this layer to cure for eight hours or overnight. Finish by wiping on and buffing off a second coat of Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax. With 2 coat`s of BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection and two coats of Midnight Sun Paste Wax #24 your vehicle will look better and wetter than you have ever seen it before............Hope this helps you out................................Angelo

Thanks. I guess I`ll do the same with the older Blackfire.:)

imported_Termigator
03-29-2009, 08:53 PM
FMJ only needs one hour to out gas. Great product...:D

I don`t know about black fire. I haven`t had the opportunity to try it yet...:D

That`s a quick cure time for a sealant. Gotta love FMJ!:)

Todd@RUPES
03-30-2009, 02:06 AM
Just to clear up a couple definitions, or at least how I use the definitions...

Dry time/Haze time: This is the time from which a liquid sealant is applied to the paint to when the sealant has fully dried to a haze and is stable. At this point you can swipe a clean finger across the surface of the hazed surface, and it should swipe away a clean with no streaking. At this point the sealant can be removed from the surface.

Cure time: This is the time, after removal of the hazed residue, in which the chemical reaction of the sealant is fully completed. At this point the sealant will be at its brightest and offer the most amount of protection, in addition to be chemically stable enough to accept other coats of sealant or wax with full benefit.

Both the dry time and cure time are going to be dependent on a variety of factors. Cooler temperatures and higher humidity will tend to lengthen both the dry and cure time, where as excessively thick applications will lengthen the dry time. In drier and warmer climates the times will be shorter. CMA always recommends applying which ever wax or sealant of your choice as thin as possible, just enough to ensure even coverage over the surface.

Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant now features the Polycharger polymer which will decrease the amount of time required for dry time and cure time. The addition of Polycharger should give Blackfire an advantage over FMJ in this respect. At the very minimum, I recommend at least 4 hours between coats, although 12 hours is best. I have applied two coats of Wet Diamond Sealant back to back, with no streaking or ill effects, but I probably didn`t get the full benefit of two separate coats. The best rule of thumb is to wait as long as possible between coats, as it is possible that applying coats with in a four hour period could lead to some streaking.

Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba, batch 24, also features a slight polymer additive, designed to bite into even the slickest sealants and promote better bonding. This is why Midnight Sun seems to work well over every sealant. However it is a high percentage carnauba paste wax which requires some time to fully harden. The application of Blackfire is unique, as it is designed to be wiped away wet. Apply the wax to a section, like half of the hood, then immediately buff off to a deep shine. The high percentage of carnauba still needs some air time to fully harden. I personally recommend about two hours before adding another coat of wax, on top of a previous coat of wax, at the minimum. Due to time restrictions, I have applied two coats back to back of the Midnight Sun and once again, never had bad effect.

So, ideally we would allow as much time as absolutely necessary to allow the wax or sealant to harden or cure, to receive the maximum benefit.

The reason that two coats of each product are recommended is to achieve a uniform coverage over the surface. Since two coats, for this reason, are always recommended over one coat, if you don`t have time to wait, you can apply two coats back to back (try to give some time) to get a more even coverage. You likely won`t get the full benefit of having two coats, but you will still have more even coverage then one coat.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even one coat of either product provides great looks and protection. On my personal car where I don`t have the logistical situation to keep my car out of commission for 15 hours while I apply multiple coats of products, I apply one coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant after detailing. After my next wash, I will add an additional coats of Wet Diamond. After my next wash, I will will apply a coat of Midnight Sun, and that after the third wash, I will add an additional coat of wax.

Hope this helps!

Todd

John Henry
03-30-2009, 02:17 AM
Very helpful post, Todd. Thanks.

apurazzo
03-30-2009, 05:27 AM
thanks todd for the info i am a big blackfire fan :)

imported_Termigator
03-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the info. Todd.:)