PDA

View Full Version : Pad Advice...

Pages : [1] 2 3

SuperBee364
03-28-2009, 05:28 PM
I`ve been using both LC and Edge pads for quite a while now. Recently, I received a Meg`s Soft Buff 2.0 pad which came as part of an order I placed at ADS. I was very impressed with that pad. So impressed, that I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a large pad order, but when I heard about LC`s new Kompressor line, I thought I better wait to hear more about them.

I`m hoping that some of you guys that have used both the Kompressor and Soft Buff 2.0 pads could chime in with your likes/dislikes about both. My purchasing decision is gonna be made from what you guys say...

weekendwarrior
03-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Well...just to throw another option into the mix, my FAVORITE Meguiar`s pads, when used with a rotary, are the Solo foam pads (with the diamonds carved into the foam). That grey finishing pad is a VERY nice finishing pad.

Todd@RUPES
03-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey Supe!!! Meguiar`s Soft Buff 2.0`s pads are awesome, the cutting pad is great!!! I like the `feel` of the Kompressor pad`s a lot. They seem to steer less then more traditional pads, and have a floating feel. They also `seem` to be slightly more aggressive and finish nicer then their more common counterparts with the same foam.

You cannot go wrong either way in my experience.

Justin Murphy
03-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey Supe!!! Meguiar`s Soft Buff 2.0`s pads are awesome, the cutting pad is great!!!
Kevin Brown told me the exact same thing. The original yellow polishing foam (unchanged in the 2.0 version I believe) is on of my favorite pads.

Now if Meg`s would just come out with a 5.5 low pro version.......

SuperBee364
03-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Well, darn it... I guess I`ll just have to get them both. ;)

imported_blk45
03-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Well, darn it... I guess I`ll just have to get them both. ;)

I hate when that happens! :D

Old Pirate
03-28-2009, 08:02 PM
I like the new Kompressor pads alittle more then the meg`s. The white one feels like it just floats over the surface and has a better cut then the older LC CCS pads. But the both of them are great pads to use.

imported_Asphalt Rocket
03-28-2009, 10:22 PM
I like the new Kompressor pads alittle more then the meg`s. The white one feels like it just floats over the surface and has a better cut then the older LC CCS pads. But the both of them are great pads to use.

That would pretty much sum it up for me also.

MadOzodi
03-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Great thread Supe! Glad to see I`m not the only one with this dilemma - thanks for bringing it up. Looks like I`m going to be purchasing some Kompressor pads - thanks Todd & Angelo. I recently picked up a rotary and the "float" you guys talk about is definitely something I think I`ll need to help me get comfortable using the machine.

One question: Does the KBRM work with Kompressor pads? I`m very comfy with Menz polishes having used them with my 3401 and recently with my rotary, but I`ve picked up samples of M105(new) and M205 to play with as well this year.

MadOzodi
03-28-2009, 11:32 PM
That would pretty much sum it up for me also.

Does this at all change your recommendation to learn how to use a rotary correctly by starting with wool pads?

imported_Asphalt Rocket
03-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Does this at all change your recommendation to learn how to use a rotary correctly by starting with wool pads?

No, not all. The kompressor pads are alot easier to use, but still would suggest to use a wool pad. The wool pad still goes over the paint easier than a foam pad will.

PorscheGuy997
03-29-2009, 01:21 AM
One question: Does the KBRM work with Kompressor pads?

Kevin and I have discussed this a bit. From a personal standpoint, no, I have not tried the Kompressor pads. The only problem I can see would be that the pad has an increase in surface area. This may make it more difficult to prime all the pores of the pad. If you did manage to prime every pore, then it could work very well.

weekendwarrior
03-29-2009, 09:19 AM
See, that`s why I prefer those Solo foam pads for the KBRM. They are easy to prime, and the diamond grooves keeps them from "chattering".

Justin Murphy
03-29-2009, 11:04 AM
See, that`s why I prefer those Solo foam pads for the KBRM. They are easy to prime, and the diamond grooves keeps them from "chattering".
Man, I need to try these pads as well. Heard great things about them AND #86 So1o Cream.

Did you use them with the PC or just rotary? Can they be use with the KBRM?

MadOzodi
03-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Kevin and I have discussed this a bit. From a personal standpoint, no, I have not tried the Kompressor pads. The only problem I can see would be that the pad has an increase in surface area. This may make it more difficult to prime all the pores of the pad. If you did manage to prime every pore, then it could work very well.

Hmmmm, I can see what you`re saying. I guess if you`re trying to prime a Kompressor pad, you`d want to do it while it`s still in its natural convex state if that`s even possible. But that might equate to more product being used; how much more, I don`t know. And being 7" pads...

Maybe I`ll just use experiment with the KBM using my UDM and existing 5.5" pads. I have a good amount of those 6.5" Cross-Groove/FleX Foam pads that look like inside out waffles because I found those to be smoothest with my Flex3401. I think I`ll give those a dance with the KBRM before I buy another set of pads.

Thanks for all the input AR, PG997 & ww...I`m gonna stay tuned to this thread for sure.