PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire Wet Diamond Cure Time?

Pages : [1] 2

05RLS2
08-08-2011, 02:50 PM
I got throught earlier today applying a layer of Blackfire Wet Diamond via PC 7424 on a LC red pad. I let it dry on for an 1 1/2 or so in the garage, since its a pretty hot day in the 90s with average summertime southeast humidity levels. I was really impressed on how easily it wiped completely and left the finish slick. I am considering adding a second layer, but wasn`t sure how long I should wait. I have heard anywhere from a couple hours to at least 8 hours. Since I am working in warmer and relative humid weather, how long should I wait before going with the second? Also, will the second layer signifigantly incure the durability of the product to achive the average 4 motnths or so that many people claim to get?

Is there any kind of cure time for Wet Diamond? Meaning a cetain amount of time the the vehicle should not be exposed to water, moisture, or washing to ensure proper bonding of the product?

Old Pirate
08-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Proper curing time is 12-24 hours before a second coat is apply, but one can layer another coat in 1 to 2 hours if needed. I always recommend that the longer you can wait the better it cures on the surface between coats. Also apply it in thin coats.

CT3
08-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Proper curing time is 12-24 hours before a second coat is apply, but one can layer another coat in 1 to 2 hours if needed. I always recommend that the longer you can wait the better it cures on the surface between coats. Also apply it in thin coats.

This is what I remember.

05RLS2
08-08-2011, 03:41 PM
So if I waited 8 hours or so after the first, should the product be full cured 24 hours after I wipe the second coat? Or will the total cure time increase since there is alreay a first layer applied?

Addicted2Bling
08-08-2011, 04:44 PM
^^The longer you wait to buff the first coat off the better off you will be

Rsurfer
08-08-2011, 06:32 PM
^^The longer you wait to buff the first coat off the better off you will be
I apply it to the whole car and come back to remove (20 min.) with no problems. 12-24 hrs. is for the polymers to cross link with no moisture.

bmw5541
08-08-2011, 06:34 PM

I couldn`t have said it any better myself!

Eric_Witt
08-08-2011, 07:39 PM
i thought it was 8-12 hours? i may be wrong, but it should be on the back of the bottle?

JSFM35X
08-08-2011, 07:59 PM
I couldn`t have said it any better myself!

Hey. Nice to see you over here.

bmw5541
08-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Hey. Nice to see you over here.
Thanks Jeff. It`s nice to be here.

01GreyStangGT
08-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Doesn`t the Polycharger in it reduce the cure time? I thought that was the idea behind it.

Luster
08-08-2011, 10:25 PM
I`ve actually applied BFWD, buffed off immediately, then applied a 2nd coat immediately.

I don`t know if I was removing any of layer #1 by applying the 2nd coat so quickly, but I do know my paint was super-slick when I was finished! I`m not much of a believer in "cure time".

(I`ve never been very good at playing by the rules either!!!):rofl

05RLS2
08-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Doesn`t the Polycharger in it reduce the cure time? I thought that was the idea behind it.
That`s what I thought the purpose of Polycharger was, to speed of the bonding and cross linking process.:hmmm: Yet the general thing you hear is still almost a half day or cure time.

I guess I`ll just play it easy for now and do the second layer at the next wash. Hopefully just one layer of Wet Diamond will give me enough proctetion for a week or so in the 90 degree heat

Nth Degree
08-09-2011, 05:36 AM
I guess I`ll just play it easy for now and do the second layer at the next wash. Hopefully just one layer of Wet Diamond will give me enough proctetion for a week or so in the 90 degree heat

This is what I always recommend for people doing their own cars. You will get plenty of protection for that amount of time. The only reason to rush it is if you need to deliver the vehicle to a customer. Kind of like paint... we all know we just couldn`t wait, then had to fix the fingerprint and wait even longer.:wall:rofl

Todd@RUPES
08-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Blackfire Wet Diamond cures extremely fast in most climates and conditions. It has a proprietary polymer drying powder (which is why you might get a fine dust in some situations on some paints) as wells the Polycharger catalyst. The goal with the sealant was to create a product that is super easy to use and super forgiving of application "errors".

As soon as the product is spread on the panel with just minor agitation it begins to cure, which is why it can be wiped off wet. Now if you where to apply BFWD, or any sealant (which relies on chemical reactions) in extreme climate (super humidity or cold temperatures) you can dramatically slow down the curing. The same if there is a lot of oil or other contaminants on the surface.

In most conditions on a well prepped and perfectly clean surface BFWD is going to be mostly cured by the time it hazes, 10-15 minutes. For numbers sake (only) let`s say it is 80% cured, as in 80 percent of the active product has cross-linked at least 80% of the way. At this point you could apply a second coat with out disturbing the initial coat too much. However if you goal is to get the maximum benefit from each coat, then you want to wait as long as you reasonably can.

In most conditions, BFWD should achieve 100% curing in under an hour. However in extreme climates combined with over application it could conceivably take 12-24 hours.