PDA

View Full Version : wool pad options?

jjpcali4life
08-07-2011, 04:20 PM
I still like having some wool pads around, but i dont have many in my personal inventory because i havent tried ones from many different companies. The wool pads im use to are the 3m hook and loop style, and ive used the wool and synthetic wool pads, but they can be a little pricey for me to buy right now.

The question is, does anyone have some good recomendations for cost friendly wool pads, or should i pony up the money and stick with what i know?

mrclean81
08-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Your not gonna go wrong with 3M wool. The difference that Ive noticed between the better pads such as 3M and the cheap ones you can find on the shelf at every auto parts store is the way they shed. There isnt going to be much difference in the way they cut. A cheap wool pad will make your life hell unless you like having wool thrown all over you, the car, and everything else within a 20 foot diameter of your work area. You can also go the foamed wool route (purple wool pads) but to be honest I dont care for them. They dry out quickly and dust like crazy. Honestly if your not doing any hard compounding or wetsanding, wool pads are almost obsolete. A good orange Lake Country foam pad teamed up with a light compound or aggressive polish will cut just fine to correct most paint these days, and is a hell of a lot safer and finishes out nicer than wool ever could. I hope this helps.

jjpcali4life
08-08-2011, 12:09 AM
thanks for your reply. I do some wetsanding outside of work, and a lot of heavy correction on cars, most peoples nightmare jobs are what seems to always come knocking at my door. The 3m wool pad sheds a bit unless you get their synthetic wool pad, then its not so bad, but im thinking of just picking 1 or 2 up.

mrclean81
08-08-2011, 01:22 AM
thanks for your reply. I do some wetsanding outside of work, and a lot of heavy correction on cars, most peoples nightmare jobs are what seems to always come knocking at my door. The 3m wool pad sheds a bit unless you get their synthetic wool pad, then its not so bad, but im thinking of just picking 1 or 2 up.

Your welcome. I know all too well what you mean about landing the nightmare jobs lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Todd@RUPES
08-08-2011, 09:44 AM
I`m partial to both the Meguiar`s So1o Wool pads (both are blended) as well as Lake Country`s wool pads.

When I use a wool pad for the first time I will wet my hand in water and spin the pad against my hand. This will usually knock loose 70-90 percent of the loose fibers. However, (at least in my experience) most wool pads are going to shed the first time you use them.

With the Meguiars So1o pads, once they are broken in, I have noticed no additional shedding what so ever.

RaskyR1
08-08-2011, 10:39 AM
I`m partial to both the Meguiar`s So1o Wool pads (both are blended) as well as Lake Country`s wool pads.

When I use a wool pad for the first time I will wet my hand in water and spin the pad against my hand. This will usually knock loose 70-90 percent of the loose fibers. However, (at least in my experience) most wool pads are going to shed the first time you use them.

With the Meguiars So1o pads, once they are broken in, I have noticed no additional shedding what so ever.

Same here! :bigups Centering them can be a pain at times though, even with a centering pin.

I have been wanting to try those Tuff-Buff wool pads for some time now too. I also like the PFW when the Solo pads are just a little too aggressive for the job.

C. Charles Hahn
08-08-2011, 04:29 PM
I have been wanting to try those Tuff-Buff wool pads for some time now too.

Do it! You won`t regret it. They don`t shed any whatsoever right out of the bag, and they have good cut with minimal marring -- easy to clean up after with a polishing step.

However, they don`t even have a centering hole, so it can be a pain to get them on the backing plate properly sometimes.

Thomas Dekany
08-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Tuf Buf black wool hands down the best in my opinion. Finishes well and cuts awesome.

jjpcali4life
08-09-2011, 01:03 AM
thanks for all the replies, giving me some more options to look into.