PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a pad out quick

KleanFreak
03-25-2004, 11:43 PM
any tricks anyone has when they are down to say their only polishing pad and need to use it with another product and dont have time wash it?

I have had this happen too many times...

Chris Y.
03-26-2004, 03:26 AM
I`d really get another pad or wash it out. Especially if the two products are not the same level of abrasiveness. At least run in under some warm water for 30 secs and run it on your D/A or Rotary for a few seconds :)

JimS
03-26-2004, 08:28 AM
Get more pads. They`re not THAT expensive. ;)

andriver
03-26-2004, 09:11 AM
I always keep at least two of each pad. When a pad is starting to fail, I go ahead and order another one.

Rosso Scuderia
03-26-2004, 01:44 PM
If you are using two polishes at around the same abrasiveness (say 3 points on the Meguairs scale) then wash the pad thoroughly with the hose and maybe a little dish soap and dry it a little and then you should be fine. This process should take one minute. As long as you aren`t mixing wax and compound and you wash the old product off, you should be ok.

kimwallace
03-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Be careful using a damp or wet pad with some products.
It sounds strange but water will sometimes make a product more aggressive which could cause more
marring of the surface.

dirt doctor
03-27-2004, 10:09 PM
you can also wash the pad as above, re-apply to buffer(i use high speed) and spin pad at highest speed, to sling moisture out. lay the buffer on the ground and then use your air compressor to blow it all out, if you have one. takes about 10 to 15 seconds. before i had a compressor it would take a few minutes. i dont know if this will work with a da or pc though, you will probably have to resort to investing in some more pads.
rob

kimwallace
03-27-2004, 10:18 PM
I think the pad would almost self destruct if spinning out the water on the PC because it is not spinning true to the center of the pad.

Don
03-28-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by kimwallace
I think the pad would almost self destruct if spinning out the water on the PC because it is not spinning true to the center of the pad.

No, it takes < 30 seconds to spin out 95% of the water on `6.` That and a couple of minutes in the sun (or long enough to go get a cool drink) is usually enough to dry the pad out enough for the next use.