PDA

View Full Version : My wetsanding project with PICTURES!

Pages : [1] 2

The Gloss Boss
07-09-2011, 09:54 PM
So I`ve decided to learn wetsanding. After being bored with just reading about it I decided to go to my local auto parts store and buy some sanding paper. I purchased 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000 grit 3M wet/dry papers and a 3M sanding block. Yesterday I recieved a package that included some OPT wool pads, 3M Rubbing Compound, and PBW SSR2.5 among other things. Today I planned on just doing a section of my car to get a feel for the whole thing and find out what grit would flatten my orange peel the best. This ended up being my process:

-Paint was levelled with 1500 grit 3M wet/dry sand paper.

-Sanding scratches were cut out with 3M rubbing compound/rotary buffer/optimum wool pad.

-Compounding swirls were removed with Poorboy`s SSR2.5/rotary buffer/orange lake country light cutting pad.

-Haze from first buffing step was cleared up with Poorboy`s SSR1/rotary buffer/black lake country finishing pad.

-The result: clear, crisp reflections!

Enough talking, here are the before and after pics.

Thanks for looking

C. Charles Hahn
07-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Excellent results! Was that factory paint? If so I hope you`ve got a PTG to check how much paint you`re removing.

mrclean81
07-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Wow that turned out great

The Gloss Boss
07-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Excellent results! Was that factory paint? If so I hope you`ve got a PTG to check how much paint you`re removing.

Yes it`s factory paint. It`s my own car so I`m not too concerned about removing too much CC. However, until I do purchase a PTG I will limit my retail job sanding to fixing scratches.

The Gloss Boss
07-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Wow that turned out great

Thanks buddy. I hope Mark will have some work for me this week. I`ve been lazy and haven`t done too much hustlin` this past week, lol.

mrclean81
07-09-2011, 11:26 PM
The bosses were in Michigan all week on vacation. They will be trying to push a lot of trucks through this week now that they are back so I`ll put the word in for you.

The Gloss Boss
07-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Well he told me before the holiday to come by or call this Monday so there should be something. Sounds like I could be busy then. I need some $$$, haha.

GearHead_1
07-10-2011, 11:10 AM
There is no doubt that the reflection in the finished picture is much crisper and clearer. Good job. Did you have fun?

wallyStang
07-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Great job!!!! I would recommend some Poorboys Pro Polish with a porter cable and a finishing pad to finesse that finish :drool:

The Gloss Boss
07-10-2011, 12:13 PM
There is no doubt that the reflection in the finished picture is much crisper and clearer. Good job. Did you have fun?

Thank you sir! Yes, I did have fun. I enjoy expanding my knowledge and experience with things I`m passionate about.

The Gloss Boss
07-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Great job!!!! I would recommend some Poorboys Pro Polish with a porter cable and a finishing pad to finesse that finish :drool:

Thanks man! Poorboy`s does make some dang good polishes. I`ll have to add that to my list of products to try. It appears to be pretty versatile.

Addicted2Bling
07-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Looks like you really took your time a did a good job, check out this thread I found, I don`t know if you`ve seen it yet...

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailing-how-article-library/27846-removing-orange-peel-sanding-marks-griots-rop-wolfgang-twins.html

The Gloss Boss
07-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the link. That was insanely thorough, but I wouldn`t expect anything less from Mike Phillips.

The Gloss Boss
07-10-2011, 09:32 PM
I`m wanting to try machine sanding and was wondering what speed to set a PC at to do so. My guess would be 3 or 4. I feel like any faster would be overkill...I could be wrong.

Rocket
07-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Great job. I want to do a little on my car but I`m too scared