PDA

View Full Version : tint messed up..

polisher
07-05-2011, 03:20 PM
is this a bad thing..for some reason the tint wont stay on the dot matrix. it happened twice..i got it from a private guy..but he is a nice @ tint job and has done dozens of cars..but says for some reason the dot matrix is not allowing it to glue..last option is to just remove the tint just on the dot matrix completely..

Dr Oldz
07-05-2011, 07:11 PM
I have seen this. A good steam cleaning of that part will allow the adhesive to stick properly.

Rocket
07-06-2011, 09:48 AM
My car is like that too it`s never been a problem other than the look. It`s still sticking in that area after 8 years but is peeling at the seam go figure. Ive seen some sand that area and use black vinyl or paint it. I didn`t like either idea

cheesecake
07-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Sand the dot matrix down using some fine grit sand paper then clean the window very well and tje tint should stick no problem

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

polisher
09-27-2011, 09:58 PM
i think i will just remove the tint n will leave it as it is..

Beemerboy
09-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Sand the dot matrix down using some fine grit sand paper then clean the window very well and tje tint should stick no problem

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

what?:wall:wall:wall

Have you done this????

polisher
09-29-2011, 05:30 AM
haha ya i am not touching the dot matrix @ all..

polisher
11-19-2011, 05:05 PM
so ya that tint area has been removed and it aint looking the best ..but it better than what was before..oh well. but is there something i can do to clean up that area?

Concours.John
11-19-2011, 05:12 PM
ISO wipe down to remove glue residue. Dont over soak to keep from running down in between the tint that you left on. Stay off plastic. Then your favorite glass cleaner to finish that is tint safe no amonia or alcohol.

kakeuter
11-19-2011, 10:05 PM
I tinted windows for about 5 years and we tried pretty much everything under the sun to get dot matrices to look good (sanding, a special gel, painting, cutting out the tint and installing a black vinyl strip on the inside of the window), none of which worked that well, besides the vinyl strip.

So, if you have already removed the tint and you want to get rid of the residue:
- Get some #0000 steel wool and some foaming glass cleaner
- Spray the glass cleaner on the residue and start rubbing with the steel wool

If you have a safe way to heat the window (tough this time of year):
- Spray foaming glass cleaner over all the residue
- Cut down a garbage bag to fit the strip of window where the residue resides
- stick the bag against the window and let the window get heated up to where its fairly hot to the touch (time varies on source of heat)
- Remove the bag and use the steel wool to remove the residue (the steel wool will get gummed up, so you will need to use different sections of your piece or swap out if it gets too gummed up). The point of the heat is to soften the residue.

Good luck.

-Kody-

polisher
11-20-2011, 08:51 AM
hmm ok i eill try the first one u said because i tried foaming glass cleaner and a razor blade (at an angle)..it kinda worked but was soo time consuming too..but see how wool and foaming glass cleaner will work. thanks..will keep updated..

polisher
01-13-2012, 07:32 AM
I tinted windows for about 5 years and we tried pretty much everything under the sun to get dot matrices to look good (sanding, a special gel, painting, cutting out the tint and installing a black vinyl strip on the inside of the window), none of which worked that well, besides the vinyl strip.

So, if you have already removed the tint and you want to get rid of the residue:
- Get some #0000 steel wool and some foaming glass cleaner
- Spray the glass cleaner on the residue and start rubbing with the steel wool

If you have a safe way to heat the window (tough this time of year):
- Spray foaming glass cleaner over all the residue
- Cut down a garbage bag to fit the strip of window where the residue resides
- stick the bag against the window and let the window get heated up to where its fairly hot to the touch (time varies on source of heat)
- Remove the bag and use the steel wool to remove the residue (the steel wool will get gummed up, so you will need to use different sections of your piece or swap out if it gets too gummed up). The point of the heat is to soften the residue.

Good luck.

-Kody-

Thanks Kody!!..it worked!! i used foam window cleaner and a steel wool and boom all gone!!:autopia:

rzatch
01-14-2012, 02:26 AM
Sounds like a big mess to begin with but ended with a happy ending.

kakeuter
01-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks Kody!!..it worked!! i used foam window cleaner and a steel wool and boom all gone!!:autopia:

Glad to hear it worked out ok!:rockon

-Kody-

giannata
04-30-2012, 05:03 PM
is this a bad thing..for some reason the tint wont stay on the dot matrix. it happened twice..i got it from a private guy..but he is a nice @ tint job and has done dozens of cars..but says for some reason the dot matrix is not allowing it to glue..last option is to just remove the tint just on the dot matrix completely..

I`ve been applying car window tint (http://detailwiz.com) for a while. One thing is for certain: the dot-matrix is a tricky animal. It takes a lot of experience to be able to apply it correctly. A lot of private people will flat out refuse to do it (or will tell you that it`s impossible) simply because they don`t want to deal with it. It CAN be done, but it`s important that the person doing it has done their homework :)