PDA

View Full Version : Transform shop vac into Carpet Extractor??

thewashdoc
06-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Hey guys, I saw some pictures on a website of how this guy turned his shop vac into a carpet extractor and I want to know do you all think this would work good, if at all? He had one of those little water pumps (not the kind that you put down in water, the type that sits on top of water tank) He had this pump sucking up solution water out of a empty greased lightning jug (the big ones) with a 3/4 solution hose which was connected to the pump. Then there was a longer solution hose (clear tubing you get from lowes) coming out the other side of the pump and at the end of it, it looked like he got some metal couplings and attached to them to the end of hose. Now, with the shop vac, he took the hose and instead of putting on a vacuum attachment, he had purchased a carpet extractor wand for like $100.00 and somehow fit it into the end of the shop vacs hose and then had the sprayer hose of the wand connected to the metal couplings on the solution tube coming from the pump. I don`t know if I explained this good or not, so hopefully you all know what I`m talking about. So, how would this work and would it be worth a damn? If so, what kinda pump would I need and how much power? Where would i get just the extractor wand attachment?

MrCLRider
06-21-2011, 03:00 PM
The wand is the rug dr upholstery tool. I found mine on craigslist for 40 dollars. I have yet to do the pump part, but so far it works great with my Ridgid shop vac.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

thewashdoc
06-21-2011, 03:31 PM
so you just use it for the suction and don`t have the spray hooked up? And what kind of rigid vac do you have?

paintjobpro22
07-13-2011, 09:59 PM
yea ive seen what you`re talkin about. i think the guy actually posted that on here. The pump you need is a freshwater marine pump. I have purchased 2 of them from harbor freight ($40). They come so you can hook it up to a car battery, but you can wire them to a switch. As for the upholstery wand, you can find them all over the internet. I would recommend a clear/plastic one so that you can see what you`re extracting. I was going to build one myself, but I`ve been using a heated extractor that one of my buddies let me borrow.