PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a bike, need some suggestions

mrclean81
06-16-2011, 12:47 AM
I just bought a 98 Katana 600, and while its in really good condition, its never been detailed. The paint and things like that Ive got covered. My question is what are you guys using on the wheels and swingarm on bikes that have this sort of rough textured finish? I really want to get this bike looking its best.

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae188/mrclean81/MyBike.jpg

The Gloss Boss
06-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Not sure how much help I can be to you, lol, but I detailed a buddies bike, a yamaha r6, and I just used meg`s APC+ cut 10:1 and a toothbrush-like detailing brush on the wheels The wheels had a rougher texture that you are talking about. I was sure to just work in small sections so it wouldnt dwell too long. I then shined them up with some Klasse AIO. They came out pretty good IMO. On the swing arms and the rest of the bike I cleaned it up with Opt Opti-Clean and shined it with the Klasse.

holland_patrick
06-16-2011, 06:26 AM
I have a rought texture on my road bike and I found any of the spray on sealents work very well for that. I have on hand Zaino clear seal but you can use anything that is spray on wipe off

John@Autopia-Carcare.com
06-16-2011, 08:59 AM
I think gloss boss has a relatively good idea here.

I`ve been thinking about a bike myself, that is really nice looking. Is that the stock shell or is that aftermarket?

mrclean81
06-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Its all stock with the exception of a Yoshi slip-on and Stage 2 jets. Im not crazy about the shade of red that it is now. Im probably gonna repaint it this winter. I`ve got some House of Kolor Brandy Wine metallic left over from a truck I painted. Ill probably just use that.

holland_patrick
06-16-2011, 03:24 PM
I would polish it out with a paint cleaner (PB Pro polish) and then hit it with some liquid sov...it might change your mind

Beemerboy
06-16-2011, 05:42 PM
I would clay it just to make sure its super clean. Then polish with a paint cleaner or PB PP...Glaze and seal or wax. Its what I do with the many HD that`s I`ve worked on.

The rims I clean with APC and water on law using the easy detail brush. Then depending on the finish I polish them with PB metal PP. If they are a ruff finish. Stoners Trim Shine makes them look like a million buck. Its what I use on the HD rims. The rest of the metal of they are not polished aluminum polish and seal.

mrclean81
06-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Thanks for all the input. Ive got a huge order to place sometime soon anyway (havent bought a single thing all season and Im low on everything) so I`ll make sure and add some PB APC to the list. Ive been wanting to try it anyway. Im thinking this is a good time to get some Opti-Coat as well.