PDA

View Full Version : IFO vs. EFO - A new way of thinking about contamination

Pages : [1] 2

C. Charles Hahn
06-11-2011, 05:32 PM
IFO vs. EFO - A new way of thinking about contamination

I got to thinking the other day while using IronX on a car that perhaps we`ve been missing the mark in terms of categorizing finish contaminants as they relate to detailing.

As we all know, IFO stands for Industrial Fall-Out, which is a term used to describe many different surface contaminants such as acid rain, rail dust, road tar, brake dust, etc. Many also improperly use this term to describe general water spotting, among other types of contaminants.

I would contend that another category should also be recognized, which is Environmental Fall-Out, or EFO. EFO would include things such as mineral deposits from hard water (such as well water), tree sap, bird droppings, bug splatter, and even pollen and dust.

The reason I would make such a distinction is that IFO describes types of contamination that exist purely because of the man-made industrialized world in which we live. Not all vehicles come into contact with significant amounts of IFO if they are nowhere near the sources of such contamination most of the time. These vehicles instead see a large amount of EFO -- contamination that occurs naturally in the environment without any intervention from humans. Not only are IFO and EFO fundamentally different in terms of their composition and source, but despite some overlap they are also fundamentally different with regards to how they are dealt with.

Man-made Contaminants = Man-made Solutions

In many cases, IFO is dealt with using man-made solvents and strong harsh cleaners. While the detailing industry as a whole is getting better about making these cleaners environmentally friendly, there are still a number of unique challenges presented by the clean-up and disposal of industrial contamination. This in my opinion justifies their classification being held separate from the solutions available for environmentally-sourced contaminants.

Examples of Products for IFO:

Prep-Sol
3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (and many other adhesive removers)
Many/Most All Purpose Cleaners
Lacquer Thinner/Mineral Spirits/Acetone/IPA/etc.
Detailing Clay
IronX
ValuGard ABC

Natural Contaminants = Natural Solutions

There are a wide variety of solutions for EFO, including the same types of solvents that are used for IFO removal. However in many cases, these are simply unnecessary and/or overkill. Safe, environmentally friendly solutions such as citrus based cleaners, or even just plain water are often all that are necessary to take care of the natural contaminants that make their way onto a vehicle`s finish.

Examples of Products for EFO:

Detailing Clay
Stoner`s XENIT
Water (cold water rinse can lift fresh tree sap)
California Duster (for pollen and dust)
Poorboy`s Bug Squash
Griot`s Garage Bug OFF!

Anyone else have any thoughts about the concept of IFO vs. EFO?

Concours.John
06-11-2011, 07:27 PM
I think your spot on in theory and in handling them. This should be a sticky IMO.
It would be nice to compile a list of products to handle IFO and EFO Who`s had the best luck with what and with each different category.

C. Charles Hahn
06-11-2011, 08:07 PM
I think your spot on in theory and in handling them. This should be a sticky IMO.
It would be nice to compile a list of products to handle IFO and EFO Who`s had the best luck with what and with each different category.

Thanks John, that`s a pretty good idea about the list... I might take a few minutes and get something started. :rockon

C. Charles Hahn
06-11-2011, 08:48 PM
OK... updated the first post with a very short/incomplete list -- if anyone else replies with more suggestions I`ll add them to the list as they come along.

Setec Astronomy
06-12-2011, 07:49 AM
I`m not really feeling this...I don`t agree that hard water is an "EFO", it may be "natural" but it gets on your car from sprinklers or from your household water supply, both of which are "man-made", not "natural". The products you list for EFO aren`t going to touch hard water spots. Maybe I don`t spend enough time on the forums, but I don`t see confusion over these "categories" and IMO it`s more confusing to create even more categories/acronyms for newbs to navigate.

Nothing personal man, I applaud your organization and writeup of this, I just think it`s a solution looking for a problem.

C. Charles Hahn
06-12-2011, 11:01 AM
I`m not really feeling this...I don`t agree that hard water is an "EFO", it may be "natural" but it gets on your car from sprinklers or from your household water supply, both of which are "man-made", not "natural".

I suppose from a semantics standpoint that is true, but the mineral content in sprinkler or household water supplies didn`t get there because it flows through pipes -- it`s already in the groundwater. You`d have the same sort of problems if you filled your wash buckets directly from a river or stream.

The products you list for EFO aren`t going to touch hard water spots.

Suggest some that will and I`ll add them to the list :inspector:

Like I said, the list is incomplete as I only took a couple minutes to throw out some ideas.

Maybe I don`t spend enough time on the forums, but I don`t see confusion over these "categories" and IMO it`s more confusing to create even more categories/acronyms for newbs to navigate.

On the AGO forum, I posted another reply that might help clear up where I`m coming from with this... unfortunately this board isn`t accepting the reply when I attempt to copy/paste it. I`ll see if I can find a way to make it work, but until then here`s a link to this thread on AGO:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/37007-ifo-vs-efo-new-way-thinking-about-contamination.html

Nothing personal man, I applaud your organization and writeup of this, I just think it`s a solution looking for a problem.

No worries, I was actually hoping to see some debate on the subject.

Setec Astronomy
06-12-2011, 11:06 AM
You`ve got some of the water spot removal products in the IFO category--the ABC (and there is also the FK product). Duragloss has some sort of water spot remover, but I think it`s more of a light-duty product for non-etched spots.

C. Charles Hahn
06-12-2011, 11:49 AM
You`ve got some of the water spot removal products in the IFO category--the ABC (and there is also the FK product). Duragloss has some sort of water spot remover, but I think it`s more of a light-duty product for non-etched spots.

Not sure if you do read much on AGO or if Mike Phillips has posted the thread over here, but he has an article describing three types of water spots into specific categories... some of which I think qualify as IFO, others of which qualify as EFO.

So again I think what it`s coming down to is understanding the cause of the water spots since all are not created equal, and from there realizing that some overlap exists between solutions for IFO and EFO (just like some overlap exists in terms of dealing with Type I, II, or III water spots) though they are still fundamentally different.

Bill D
06-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Don`t forget UFO-- Unidentified Fall Out- as per this thread on Autopia.org.

Setec Astronomy
06-13-2011, 07:29 PM

I don`t know if that`s a joke or not--do you need Fox Mulder to help you get that off??

jammerz101
06-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Great too see this type of thread. Taking a scientific approach to surface care will lead to better product choices and better techniques.

Bill D
06-13-2011, 07:41 PM
I don`t know if that`s a joke or not--do you need Fox Mulder to help you get that off??

Half serious, I made a reference to the X Files in the Autopia thread; but it`s true, some FO can be unidentified, at least, unless an expert would know what it is.

C. Charles Hahn
06-13-2011, 07:41 PM

:bigups

BillRids
06-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Great read. I agree 100% you`re spot on Charlie

vitalcarcare
07-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I love this idea.

Being in an area with a LOT of various contaminants. From paper mill, Hard water, Salt water, Pollen, Constant road construction. Some times you have to use a different approach to get the ick off the paint.

Now on the flip side. Most products will work on both, clay and APC for example, so the NEED isnt necessarily there to segregate them. Its always good to know what your going for. I always employ a least aggressive mentality, but sometimes you gotta bust out the hard stuff. Normally I find this is the IFO caused contaminants. EFO contaminants are typically on the "easy" side to remove and most good soaps can get this off.