PDA

View Full Version : Sunburn

Pages : [1] 2

Northstar01
06-09-2011, 04:58 PM
I need some assistance folks. I have a 88 monte carlo ss which is black. I originally thought i had oxidation issues. I have tried a number of products including compound and clay bar. No improvement. My bodyshop guy came over to take a look and talk about respraying. He said i have a "sunburn" condition. Never heard of that. He said it may be able to be brought back but odds are against and it will probably need a respray. Now, being a car detailing dummy what products would i even consider when attempting to bring the paint back?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

GearHead_1
06-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Pictures will better help identify what this "Sunburn" actually is. I`ve heard of clear coat failure referred to as Sunburn. I have no idea if this is what your painter is referring too.

Beemerboy
06-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Iike GH said pics would be best. Is the finish cloudy looking?

Addicted2Bling
06-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Sunburn??? I think your bodyshop guy is giving you a con job.

DealerDetailer
06-10-2011, 01:23 AM
I myself detail at a Dealership with a body shop (where I`m located) and have never heard the term "sunburn" when talking about failing clear. It’s a great descriptive word to use for something pealing and maybe is your body guys’ way of describing clear peeling away.

Pics are a must in this case. Please provided if you can.

Fast Eddie
06-10-2011, 02:25 AM

That`s my thoughts exactly, never heard of a car having a "sunburn condition" :cool:

Beemerboy
06-10-2011, 09:25 AM

That`s my thoughts exactly, never heard of a car having a "sunburn condition" :cool:

I don`t think its a con job, its just the term that he is using for what COULD be another condition of the paint, like clear coat failure. That`s why GH and I have asked for pics to be posted.;)

holland_patrick
06-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I bet it is clear coat failure

Factory Paint Failure
In 1995, General Motors offered a repaint under warranty for any vehicle 5 years or newer experiencing severe paint delamination, regardless of mileage. The problem was so wide spread that there was a Dateline special covering the problem in 1997. Today, delamination of factory applied finishes is rare. Those with vehicles from the late-1980`s to mid-1990`s that are now experiencing paint delamination due to the processes used at the factory are usually without recourse. In some instances, owners have resorted to small claims court in an attempt to get their vehicle repainted on a pro-rated basis. Given that some of these vehicles are now approaching 20 years of age, the pro-rated value of the paint reimbursement is negligible, at best

Beemerboy
06-10-2011, 11:57 AM
I bet it is clear coat failure

Factory Paint Failure
In 1995, General Motors offered a repaint under warranty for any vehicle 5 years or newer experiencing severe paint delamination, regardless of mileage. The problem was so wide spread that there was a Dateline special covering the problem in 1997. Today, delamination of factory applied finishes is rare. Those with vehicles from the late-1980`s to mid-1990`s that are now experiencing paint delamination due to the processes used at the factory are usually without recourse. In some instances, owners have resorted to small claims court in an attempt to get their vehicle repainted on a pro-rated basis. Given that some of these vehicles are now approaching 20 years of age, the pro-rated value of the paint reimbursement is negligible, at best

I totally agree or it could be heavy oxidation. ;)

BillRids
06-10-2011, 01:11 PM
So that`s why GM has no money...

JaredPointer
06-11-2011, 04:46 PM
So that`s why GM has no money...

Oh, they`ve got money. They took it from us taxpayers! ;)

JohnHenry
06-12-2011, 05:01 AM
1988 Chevy... single stage paint? Probably not clear coat failure.

(I could be totally wrong... it`s happened once before. LOL!)

Northstar01
06-25-2011, 12:12 AM
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I will post up pics....I would say heavy oxidation myself. It has like a white looking dusty look. When water hits the paint it comes back to normal... As soon as it dries it gets a white dusty film look.

Northstar01
06-25-2011, 12:13 AM
And no peeling....My son`s Z/28 has the clearcoat peeling so i know what that looks like.

C. Charles Hahn
06-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Oh, they`ve got money. They took it from us taxpayers! ;)

And paid it all back now, too. Move on and get over it.

At least GM didn`t blatantly violate laws to get away with killing people like another company we all know....