PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

Bee97
05-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Hi this is my first post and I`m not in the detailing bussines I just like to keep my car clean and shinny. I have been reading this website for a few days and finally decided to ask a question maybe more than 1 question. I own a 97 pathfinder ( black) and now it is showing the years on the hood and on top I have been using a pc for a few years with meguiar`s yellow pads and p21s polish maybe I need different type of pads or polish. Can you guys give me some advice in what to use, thank you in advance.

Setec Astronomy
05-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Could you be a little more specific as to what "showing the years" means? Do you have any pictures? Do you know if it`s single-stage paint or clearcoat (when you polish with your PC does your pad pick up the black color from the paint--not dirt, actual paint pigment?)

RANDAL
05-25-2011, 07:40 AM
Not sure about either product you use. Id get some 6" flat pads in white and black. Then go with some Pro Polish from Poorbboys. If that doesnt get the job done get some SSR2.5 and SSR1 and use with white pads. After that try some Black Hole on the black to really bring out the bling. Top that with some Nattys BLUE, at least one layer, two is better. I forgot to say to sart with a real clean surface wash well with lots of suds, and follow that up with a clay bar and lube. Then go to the paint correction with your PC. If you have run a PC for a few years Id get a rotary and have at it. You will get a hang of it a nd the 6" pads are very nice on a rotary too. Randal in now VERY MUDDY IOWA!

Beemerboy
05-25-2011, 09:22 AM
I would like to see some pics of the paint issues you are talking about. Based on color and year, you could have some oxidation or you might have early stages of clear coat failure

Bee97
05-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Ok guys it doesn`t pick up anything on the pad and it does have a clearcoat.

Bee97
05-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Update I went to my local body shop supplies and I showed my car to one of the guys and he told me that my car needed some compounding because the paint looked a little dull.
If that`s the case what do I need? What kind of pads, I would like to try the poorboys stuff because I don`t have the luxury of a garage, thank you in advance.

Mr. Gloss
05-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Have you considered the Mequiar`s Brilliant Solutions Restoration Kit?

Setec Astronomy
05-26-2011, 08:28 AM
What kind of pads, I would like to try the poorboys stuff because I don`t have the luxury of a garage, thank you in advance.

If you want to use Poorboy`s, I`ve always liked SSR2.5. If the paint is as rough as you say it is, then I think SSR2.5 on a tangerine Hydro-Tech pad is all you need. If you`re not tired, you can follow with SSR1 on a crimson Hydro-Tech.

You could also go more aggresive with something like Meg`s 105/205 or Ultimate Compound and...what is the companion, Ultimate Polish? Or the new Optimum stuff (spray or cream).

Beemerboy
05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Update I went to my local body shop supplies and I showed my car to one of the guys and he told me that my car needed some compounding because the paint looked a little dull.
If that`s the case what do I need? What kind of pads, I would like to try the poorboys stuff because I don`t have the luxury of a garage, thank you in advance.

If you can post some pics of the hood it would be much easier to make suggestions. At this point we are shooting in the dark.

Bee97
05-26-2011, 06:24 PM
file:///C:/Users/Andrew&Daniel/Desktop/New%20Folder/DSC02847.JPGI hope this helps guys.