PDA

View Full Version : Leatherique Tips

Pages : [1] 2

JaredPointer
05-04-2011, 08:01 PM
I`ve read the "official" instructions, but I`m looking to see if anyone has any unique tips and tricks they`ve used with the Leatherique system.

Mr. Clean
05-04-2011, 08:39 PM
No unique tips or tricks from me. I use it as specified. Apply Rejuvenator Oil (I use my hands as applicators), allow it to stand and then use Pristine Clean to remove. I use cotton towels.

But now I`m subscribed so I can see if anyone chimes in with something really good. :D

TroyScherer
05-04-2011, 09:02 PM
I have only used it twice but so far this is what I have learned.

When using the Rejuvenator Oil more is better. The more you can massage into the seams and the seat the better it will work. Some say even up to 4oz per seat. The other thing with Rejuvenator Oil is to keep the leather as warm as possible. I have set the vehicle out in the sun with the windows up and left it there all day. The longer you leave it on the better. IMO this step is the most important part of the kit. Prestine Clean to me was simply a cleaner used to clean all the krud off that Rejuvenator Oil pulls out of the leather. It does leave a nice clean matte finish.

C. Charles Hahn
05-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Only thing I`ve ever done differently is when it`s cold out or I`m in a hurry I run a hair dryer on the seats to warm the RO and open up the pores in the leather so it will soak in faster.

Past that I just stick to the directions.

Concours.John
05-05-2011, 07:55 AM
I have only used it twice but so far this is what I have learned.

When using the Rejuvenator Oil more is better. The more you can massage into the seams and the seat the better it will work. Some say even up to 4oz per seat. The other thing with Rejuvenator Oil is to keep the leather as warm as possible. I have set the vehicle out in the sun with the windows up and left it there all day. The longer you leave it on the better. IMO this step is the most important part of the kit. Prestine Clean to me was simply a cleaner used to clean all the krud off that Rejuvenator Oil pulls out of the leather. It does leave a nice clean matte finish.

I agree. The key is the amount of RO and windows up. It works best as Troy said putting the car outside and more RO.
The heat is what makes the RO work best. When there is time to do the process I apply in the morning let it sit outside. Then I finish the process the next morning. Depending on how dirty the seats, it can make a mess of towels.

JaredPointer
05-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Tried a test area per the directions, and I`ve gotta say, I think this stuff might be the real deal. Pulled a lot of dirt (lot of dirty looking stuff on the "cleaning" towel anyway) and the section I "rejuvenated" and "pristined" is very soft. Noticeably softer than the surrounding areas. Looks like I`ll be taking a day this weekend to try the full treatment.

JaredPointer
05-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Just wrapped up the Leatherique process - What a job. :) BUT the results are OUTSTANDING. Anyone looking to improve the look and feel of their leather should go out right now, buy the kit and use it as soon as possible. I can`t say enough positive things about the end result.

Couple of things I learned from my experience:

1 - patience. This ain`t a quick task. I let the rejuvenator oil dwell on the leather as per the directions for about 8 hours.

2 - it`s sorta messy. I`ll definitely put the rejuvenator oil in a spray bottle or a bottle with a squeeze top/yorker cap the next go-round. I did put the prestine clean in a small sprayer during the second step, and it really improved the process.

3 - the final wipe with a warm, damp terry cloth makes a lot of difference in how matte you can get the seats. I wanted no sheen at all, so I spent a couple extra minutes making sure I did a very thorough wipe down.

4 - have plenty of towels/old shirts/applicators available.

5 - I applied the rejuvenator oil by hand - meaning I massaged it in pretty heavy with my hands. Directions said try a paintbrush, which I might do the next time to try and avoid sticky hands and a mess.

Again, I can`t express how pleased I am with the results. My leather was in pretty decent shape (with the exception of the driver seat, which was dirty) and this stuff improved the look and feel 100%.

Bunky
05-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Again, I can`t express how pleased I am with the results. My leather was in pretty decent shape (with the exception of the driver seat, which was dirty) and this stuff improved the look and feel 100%.

Any pics?

MrCLRider
05-08-2011, 09:17 AM
I know that a member of another forum uses a heat gun to warm up the leather before applying the RO and it looks amazing when he is done. It is so true that you need patience. You also need to have an understanding of what type of leather that you are working with. Some leathers just wont react to the RO because of how they are made, I believe they are considered coated leather.

Mr. Clean
05-08-2011, 11:07 AM
...Couple of things I learned from my experience:

2 - it`s sorta messy. I`ll definitely put the rejuvenator oil in a spray bottle or a bottle with a squeeze top/yorker cap the next go-round. I did put the prestine clean in a small sprayer during the second step, and it really improved the process.
5 - I applied the rejuvenator oil by hand - meaning I massaged it in pretty heavy with my hands. Directions said try a paintbrush, which I might do the next time to try and avoid sticky hands and a mess.

Sorry, it`s been so long since I read the actual directions, I thought that the suggestion to place the RO an PC in spray bottles was part of the instructions. Spray bottles for both are the "only" way to go IMO.

It really doesn`t bother me too much getting the stuff on my hands. I just keep a towel (or 3) beside me and wipe them occasionally. I really get the feel and body temp warms the product, not unlike those who apply their wax bare handed.

Glad it worked out as you had anticipated.

JaredPointer
05-08-2011, 08:16 PM
No pics, sorry. Maybe I can take one or two of the "after" just for show.

And coated or not - I have read that it works wonders on both, which is one of the prompting factors for me deciding to get the kit. I just assume that the majority of all factory leather is coated these days. In any case, the Leatherique directions state that the Prestine Clean is effective for window rubber and vinyl. Also believe I read that you can use the rejuvenator oil on vinyl to add softness, although I`m not sure about that....

About the coated leather - one place I read said that the RO would migrate laterally through the stitching seams just as well.

Whatever the case, the total system was able to clean some stuff out of my driver seat that I couldn`t touch with anything else. That alone *to me* was worth all the effort. :)

jammerz101
05-08-2011, 08:52 PM
What was the year, make and model of the vehicle that you used the Leatherique on?

Beemerboy
05-09-2011, 11:44 AM
JP..I`ve been using Leatherique for several years. IMO its the best leather cleaner and conditioner on the market. With the cleaner I use a soft boars hair brush to clean into the cracks and such. For the rejeventor I apply by hand, its kind of a hassle but that`s the only way I have found effective. You could apply with a damp grout natural sea sponge, which I use on larger jobs. If you can get the car into warm or hot weather it helps, but I have applied it in my garage and let sit on the seats while I do the paint work. The wipe that off with a cotton towel. I have to admit that I really like the way it makes the leather small and feel.

jtford95
05-09-2011, 12:24 PM
I`m looking into getting this leatherique kit you are talking about. How much would you charge for this type of service?

JaredPointer
05-09-2011, 05:40 PM
What was the year, make and model of the vehicle that you used the Leatherique on?

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited

I`m looking into getting this leatherique kit you are talking about. How much would you charge for this type of service?

How much *I* would charge to do it? I dunno..... It`s a day`s worth of work all in itself, but a lot of that time is just letting it sit there. I guess it depends on what your hourly rate would be.