PDA

View Full Version : Hosting website 101

The Chee
03-22-2004, 02:52 AM
Hi, if I want to have say detailinggod.com <-- how about do I buy/register this domain? Do I pay one off or annually for the name, how does it work.

What about hosting the site, any recommendations for a good one? What software do I use if I want to create an shopping online webby?

Cheers

ps: Do excuse my silly questions :bigscream :bigscream

Beemerboy
03-22-2004, 10:43 AM
can`t answer your question, but what part of Asia are you from?

groebuck
03-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Okay so what your talking about is domain name registration. Anyone one can register an domain for a fee (if it is available - back in the internet craze days before big business got online, smart lil geeks were buying up domain names left and right like kraft.com, kraftfoods.com and so on and then offering to sell them back to the companies for a lot of money - cyber blackmail)...but back to the question.

http://www.internic.net/regist.html

The above link will list a bunch of companies you can register your domain with.

If you want to go the hosting route, a good web hosting company should be able to help you with everything domain name, web site, email templates..what have you.

this one is pretty good and they charge a monthly fee (starts at 5.95 US a month I think)

http://www.ez-web-hosting.com/

The Chee
03-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Cheers groebuck, what I`m concern is if i let the web hosting handle my domain name, when I want to change web hoster, I would have problems with the transfer of my domain name.

Bmerboy, I`m all d way from Brunei , S.E. Asia :), and I love Beemer ;)

dalmore
03-23-2004, 03:33 AM
Circus 1 - We`ve had no trouble moving domains from one hosting company to another. When you sign up with the new hosting company, you simply ask them to transfer the domain name and that`s it.

Back in the mid-90s that was not the case though - took weeks to move a domain name then! Progress is nice.

The Chee
03-23-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by dalmore
Circus 1 - We`ve had no trouble moving domains from one hosting company to another. When you sign up with the new hosting company, you simply ask them to transfer the domain name and that`s it.

Back in the mid-90s that was not the case though - took weeks to move a domain name then! Progress is nice.

Good to hear mate, one more thing do all hosting company allow me to create email addresses?:badabum

dalmore
03-23-2004, 06:01 AM
I have not encountered one that did not include email but honestly - we do our own email so I have no experience with email from a web hosting site.