PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a lift...HELP

godon2wheels
03-10-2011, 10:52 AM
I`m in the market to buy a lift for my garage using my tax return. My buddy has a Benpack, but I don`t have that type of budget. looking around a $2000 budget. Anyone have any suggestions on companies or brands that I should look at?

mrclean81
03-10-2011, 11:00 AM
It seems like I looked at some in a Northern Tools book that were priced decent.

C. Charles Hahn
03-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Before you even get to the point of what lift to buy, are you sure you have a concrete slab thick and strong enough to handle it?

Also, what style of lift do you want? A 2-post, or a 4-post with ramps?

RANDAL
03-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Was that you that asked this same question over in Ford-Trucks.com? I posted over there a reply on same question.

godon2wheels
03-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Yes, my garage is not attached to the house and the slab is thick enough. I`m looking at both a 2 & 4 post, deciding how much I`ll be using the lift for other people`s vehicles. Another friend said he got his lift at a company just south of Indy... I`m looking at a couple on their website. May go down tomorrow to see them in person.

2 post
2 Post Lifts | SL 10,000 BP 10,000 LB. Two Post Vehicle / Automotive / Truck / Car Garage Lift (Base Plate / Open Top) (http://www.completehydraulic.com/lifts-2-post-sl10000bp.html)

4 post
4 Post Lifts | SL 10,000 CSP XLT 10,000 LB. Four Post Vehicle / Automotive / Truck / Car Garage Lift (Portable) (http://www.completehydraulic.com/lifts-4-post-sl10000xl.html)

Thanks for your advice!!

godon2wheels
03-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Was that you that asked this same question over in Ford-Trucks.com? I posted over there a reply on same question.

Nope, but I`ll check out your advice. Is that a good forum. I`m not really a Ford Man...lol

Paul Sparks
03-11-2011, 07:34 PM
I`m in the market to buy a lift for my garage using my tax return. My buddy has a Benpack, but I don`t have that type of budget. looking around a $2000 budget. Anyone have any suggestions on companies or brands that I should look at?

I have the 10,000lbs HD 2 post lift from Complete Hyd Systems in Franklin In.
You are welcome to come by and put your car or see mine in operation on this lift. I live on the west side of Indy off of Rockville Rd. and Raceway Rd. near Avon. Bought this in 06 but didn,t put it into operation til just lately. Like yourself I couldn`t afford a bendpak so I went this route and am satisified so far with the results. :)

RANDAL
03-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Good Ford forum. Just buy a well built American made lift. Always buy bigger than you think you need. You just might need to lift a dually crewcab diesel thats loaded with tools some day.

Paul Sparks
03-12-2011, 01:52 PM
I have jap lift and use it on three f-250 diesel 4x4`s. Haven`t had a problem yet.

GearHead_1
03-12-2011, 03:46 PM
I`m a big fan of 2 post Rotary lifts though I don`t believe they would meet your cost criteria.

Chris M.
03-12-2011, 06:55 PM
With a two post lift, you have to bolt them to the floor. Some also require 4-6 inches of concrete under posts. Also, some vehicles require special plates to lift them. You have to be careful lifting vehicles too, if not balanced properly, they will fall off. With four post lifts, some require bolting to floor, some do not; it depends on size of "foot" on posts. The vehicle will also be higher off the floor, which makes waxing the tops of trucks a pain. I got my 4 post from Greg Smith Equipment Sales Inc. - The lift professionals with quality automotive equipment at discount prices. (http://www.Gregsmithequipment.com). Do a google search and really look at the different lifts out there. Cheap 4 post lifts will fail also if too much weight is put on them. Hope this helps.

Paul Sparks
03-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Rotary and Benpak lifts are excellent American made lifts. If I were to need one for a commercial application on a daily heavy use schedule , they would be at the top of my want list. As for my needs as a hobbyist and a car nut the import lift fits my needs. When I made my purchase I researched various brands and types of lifts and also the horror stories of cheap lift failures. A lot of failures were from operator failures to follow safety guidelines and common sense operation. I searched both Greg Smith and Complete HYD Systems located here in Indiana and found they carried a lot of similar items. When talking to reps from three different American manufactures I was told they also were and or planned to in the future , carry a bottom line or a base model that was cast overseas and assembled in America. My lift from Complete was made from foreign castings and assembled with American made hydraulics and electrical hardware in Texas.I installed my lift with a friend (too cheap to pay $500.00 to install)and it took about 6hrs and used basic hand tools with the exception on a hammer drill I already had to drill the mounting bolts. Now that I have used the lift on various cars and trucks , I`m happy with my choice of the two post over the fourpost lift.Cleaning of the top of the F-250`s is aided with the use of a Wagner folding platform. Everyone may have different needs and this one fits mine just fine. If storage of a extra vehicle was on my list then a four post would be my choice.As I have mention in a previous post ,anyone in my area is fee to stop by and see if this type of lift that would do what they need.

Dtrick.22
03-13-2011, 07:09 PM
If I was you I`d look into buying a used one...When the local Pep Boys went out of business they had like 6 lifts that they were selling for something like $650. If I had the space at the time I would have picked up 2...Also another dealership went out of business around me and were selling nice ones for $1000..Not a bad idea to check into that, these days you won`t have a problem finding a place going out of business

RANDAL
03-14-2011, 11:07 AM
If you didnt read my post a Ford-trucks. At Wally world we had 2 9000lb lifts. They were blue but dont remember who made them. They were 2 post lifts. These had the cylinders hanging from the top of the column. There were no chains or cables in the posts. Only hydralic line going frm the top of one post to the other. Each post had its own safety lock lever you had to release when you went down the the vehichle. There were locks on the swinging arms also, these locks were free untill lift was raised over 3 inches.
The reason for the cylinders to pull the load up ios the cylinder shaft can not bend when pulling, vs pushing. Also if a problem arouse, it would be easier for the cylinder to be repaired if the load was still there. Hope that makes since.