PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Extractors

AttntoDetail
02-27-2011, 10:11 AM
In the market to buy a new carpet extractor. Anyone have any suggestions?
I have been looking at the Mytee 8070 and the Mytee HP-60.

mrclean81
02-27-2011, 10:44 AM
I have an HP-60 at work and its an outstanding machine. However, if your mobile its entirely too big to lug around. I`ve never used the 8070 but I`m sure its a great machine too. If your mobile and need something small and portable, I suggest a Bissel Pro Heat (version of their Little Green Machine). For a small over the counter machine its very good.

AttntoDetail
02-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I am mobile and was looking at the size issue also. Thanks again

mrclean81
02-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Your welcome. My therory on extractors is this - a machine is only as good as the solution that your using. You can run a $2000 machine with crappy solution and its not gonna work nearly as well as a $100 machine with powerful solution. I personally use Superior Products "Zap It" and have had nothing but outstanding results.

Mr. Clean
02-27-2011, 10:12 PM
I agree with the idea of using a quality solution. But that is only half of the chemical side of the equation and IMO not the most important half. Complete removal of the solution is key. Using a "fiber rinse" will help to restore the "feel" of the carpet (ie. not stiff) which happens when soap residues remain. The also re-soil much more quickly.

I can`t speak to the little Bissel machines, there are a lot who seem to like them, but I honestly don`t think they have as much lift as a good wet/dry vac. I`ve looked at some spotters and they seem to be fairly week on the water lift numbers. It should be noted that I don`t have to work regularly on really dirty carpets or upholstery because of the clients I have. I also "preach" the importance of matting and it is so simple to pull those out. Good hot water is relatively easy with a bucket heater. If you are going to be doing a lot of dirty interior work, a good heated extractor would seem to be a good investment.

Tex Star Detail
02-28-2011, 07:08 PM
I decided on the HP60 for mobile. Works out great.

Paul Sparks
02-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Looked on Ebay and found a seller with used rug doctor rental units for sale . Had a couple of wands (both large and small with hose). Would this be enough for a hobby type set-up or waste of $300.00 ?

mrclean81
03-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I stand corrected. My extractor at work is a HP-100.
Paul the Rug Doctors are good for a home but I`m not impressed with their attachments at all. They don`t get very hot nor do they have a very powerful lift for the size of the machine. Not worth $300 unless you owe a janitorial business.

shuddleston
03-01-2011, 01:53 PM
I bought a used rental from Home Depot probably the same type of deal and I love it. I can use it in my house and for detailing and it has done an outstanding job in both departments. In addition, it is constructed to be rental so it`s durable. I am mobile and fits in the trunk of my car once the handle is folded down.

Looked on Ebay and found a seller with used rug doctor rental units for sale . Had a couple of wands (both large and small with hose). Would this be enough for a hobby type set-up or waste of $300.00 ?

scrubs147
03-01-2011, 04:43 PM
I got rid of my Mytee II extractor and went with a Vapor Steamer instead. I was not impressed with the Mytee at all. For the money I could easily get better results with a steamer and a shop-vac.

If I were to look into another extractor (which I have no intentions of), I would look into the Durrmaid Super 1600 Extractor & Wet/Dry Vacuum. From what I have read, this little machine has much more power that any of the Mytee products.

John@Autopia-Carcare.com
03-03-2011, 10:35 AM
I`ve only have had experience with the Durrmaid and it really does a fantastic job. My Mazda doesn`t require a deep cleaning yet since it only has 17,xxxx miles but I know that the Durrmaid will be my tool of choice for when i get to that point.

From feedback I`ve received in the past, it`s very popular among many pro detailers out there.

Addicted2Bling
03-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I just ordered a durrmaid, i`ll let you guys know how it works;)

cmb371
03-13-2011, 08:55 PM
The durmaid are good units. I have two that i use for light jobs. It dose`nt hold much water. They was my first units. I use to carry my fish fryer and propane tank to heat water while I use the unit. By the time it was empty the water was hot. I use a Powr-Flite now and use the durmaid as backup. And yes I still carrie the fish fryer with me.

scrubs147
03-14-2011, 08:12 AM
The durmaid are good units. I have two that i use for light jobs. It dose`nt hold much water. They was my first units. I use to carry my fish fryer and propane tank to heat water while I use the unit. By the time it was empty the water was hot. I use a Powr-Flite now and use the durmaid as backup. And yes I still carrie the fish fryer with me.

This is why I love forums like this, you learn something new every day. This is what I`m talking about. If you`re looking to get a serious extractor, the "Powr-Flit" looks to be a heavy weight contender. After reading the above post, I looked online to check out the "powr-Flite" for a comparison of some of the extractors mentioned here. I will now have to change my last comment and say that, the next (if I choose to purchase again) will be the Powr-Flite.

A minimum water lift of 135" on the lesser expensive models and up to 220" on the take out a mortgage models.

Luvs Detailin
03-22-2011, 12:00 AM
From my own personal experience and I am a mobile detailer i work out of a 2001 subaru forester. All you really is a small mobile extractor last year I brought an Aztec Hot Rodder,nice machine built tough and no problems and if you ever have one you can call them up they will give 5 star customer service. I sold mine and to upgrade to a Deserido Plus from MyVaporClean.com its an all in one Vac,Vapor Steam Cleaner, and Extractor its doesn`t lay down a coat of hot water that you have to wait for it to dry its all steam. Let me tell you nowadays steam is the way to go..