PDA

View Full Version : Newish member! But lots of questions

Pages : [1] 2

chris.augusta
02-05-2011, 11:27 AM
What`s up everyone? My names Chris I`m located in Augusta,Ga. I used to be a member here but for whatever reason I`m not anymore. I joined because of my love of cars, detailing and wanting to pick up some tips and tricks. I`m not a professional auto detailer but I`m looking to get to that point, hopefully with some time and everyone on here I will get there. I few questions if you guys can help. (can`t seem to find the exact question in the search feature)

I`m interested in a professional buffer but I`m torn between rotary and dual action. I`ve done some search and im interested in the FLEX LK 603 VVB, Porter Cable 7424XP and the Makita 9227CX3.

- Which of the 3 is the better choice? (I`ve been washing/"detailing cars for over 10 years but never used a paint correcter)

- The PC isn`t a rotary correct?

- As a 1st time user of a rotary.. Using common sense and being careful how hard is it to burn paint?

- Lastly, dual actions do about 90% of rotaries? But won`t complete correct a paint defect if it`s deep and been neglected.. Is this correct?

Sorry for the long intro and the abundance of questions but I`m looking to buy some sort of professional polisher/buffer in the next coming weeks. Thanks for all your help in advance.
:dcrules

GearHead_1
02-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Chris welcome to The City! In this case perhaps welcome back. Can you tell me the user name used when you were previously a member? Is this a situation of a forgotten password? Members/user names should not be indiscriminately disappearing from our community. I`ll see if I can`t find out what`s up, at the very least merge the accounts.

mrclean81
02-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Welcome to DC. I run both a rotary and a DA on a daily basis and for someone new to paint correction I would tell you to start off with a PC or a Griots polisher. Rotary machines are powerful and sometimes dangerous in the hands of a newbie (no offense intended). Its hard to burn through paint in a flat surface. Its almost impossible if your using foam pads and polish. When you hear about people burning through paint, its usually because they wasn`t paying attention and hit a body line or high spot, in which a rotary will take it down to primer very quickly.
DA or Random Orbitals like a Flex, Griots, PC etc, are way safer and easier to run, and unless you`ve got some major defects, is the way to go. I`ve tryed to burn paint with my Griots and couldn`t do it. (Junk vehicle to test on). I hope this helps :)

chris.augusta
02-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for all the info mr.clean. What are some good models to start off with. I would like to correct the paint in my moms car. She has some kind is white bots in her paint... I tried clay and wax by hand. She has a cts with a pearl paint..

mrclean81
02-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the info mr.clean. What are some good models to start off with. I would like to correct the paint in my moms car. She has some kind is white bots in her paint... I tried clay and wax by hand. She has a cts with a pearl paint..

I prefer the Griots polisher and LC CCS pads along with Poorboys polish, but that`s just my opinion. The PC has a proven record for being a great machine, and the Flex is the choice of many pros. Megs makes a DA as well. The Griots is the most powerful of the random orbitals, is the cheapest, and has a lifetime warrantee so it gets my pick.
I think PB Pro Polish with orange or white CCS pad followed by PB White Diamond and grey or blue pad, top that with EX-P and Nattys Red and your mom will pass out :)

Poorboy
02-05-2011, 03:42 PM
I prefer the Griots polisher and LC CCS pads along with Poorboys polish, but that`s just my opinion. The PC has a proven record for being a great machine, and the Flex is the choice of many pros. Megs makes a DA as well. The Griots is the most powerful of the random orbitals, is the cheapest, and has a lifetime warrantee so it gets my pick.
I think PB Pro Polish with orange or white CCS pad followed by PB White Diamond and grey or blue pad, top that with EX-P and Nattys Red and your mom will pass out :)

I agree with this ... I have not used the Griots machine, but the Flex has definitely made me a believer. I`ve used many rotaries, the PC, and the UDM , a little experience with a cyclo and the Flex just gives you the best of all worlds. I have friends with big shops that used to use rotaries and now all they do is collect dust. Good luck and :welcome: :dcrules

mrclean81
02-05-2011, 04:40 PM
I want to clarify my post about the Griots being the most powerful. Its the most powerful of the ROPs. Dual Action machines like the Flex and Cyclo have way more power but I concider them to be in a differant class than PCs and Griots.

chris.augusta
02-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Ok, thanks for all the help guys. So what brand and model is best for me to do paint corrections that isn`t a rotary?

mrclean81
02-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Ok, thanks for all the help guys. So what brand and model is best for me to do paint corrections that isn`t a rotary?

If you can afford the Flex, definatly pull the trigger on it. If you can`t work the Flex into your budget, go for the Griots or PC.

DJsDetails
02-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I`ve heard a few bad reviews, from some very experienced detailers might I add, about the Griots polisher. "It is a sweet machine to apply a wax or sealant but it is almost worthless for removing defects," said about the Griots polisher. I`d like to get more feedback about this because by specs, it`s more powerful than the Meg`s DA I was looking at, plus the lifetime warranty to back it. What do you guys think? G110v2 or Griots Polisher?

mrclean81
02-05-2011, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE=DJsDetails;325843] "It is a sweet machine to apply a wax or sealant but it is almost worthless for removing defects," said about the Griots polisher. I`d like to get more feedback QUOTE]

Thats just ridiculous. The Griots machines cut very well if they have the right pad and product. Maybee not as well as a Flex would, and definatly not as well as a rotary, but they do cut. I prefer to use my rotary for all compounding because of the time I can save. However Ive done several correction jobs with just the Griots and always had great results. Its all personal preferance though. A great detailer once told me "if it spins it cuts".

Bunky
02-06-2011, 06:43 AM
I`ve heard a few bad reviews, from some very experienced detailers might I add, about the Griots polisher. "It is a sweet machine to apply a wax or sealant but it is almost worthless for removing defects," said about the Griots polisher.

I wonder if they actually used one. I have not used a Griots but would consider one especially if my UDM dies. I do not see many negative posts regarding its cutting ability.

There may be a bias against it since it is made by Griot`s and supposedly less solid feel (more plastic construction). With the satisfaction guarantee (not the same as the lifetime warranty), you can try and decide for yourself.

Poorboy
02-06-2011, 09:30 AM

If you can afford the Flex, definatly pull the trigger on it. If you can`t work the Flex into your budget, go for the Griots or PC.

I think this sums it up very well ... :rockon

there are always going to be people who like x machine better than y, but really like machine z even more ... they all basically will give you a cutting swirl removing machine, the question comes down to time and money ...
Flex is faster but it costs more, the others are slower and cost less.

good luck :cool:

DJsDetails
02-06-2011, 10:44 AM
I wonder if they actually used one.

Yeah this one in particular made a video comparing the three: G110, PC, and the GP. He ended up returning it to Griots, finding that the tighter orbit of the polisher renders it less aggressive than the slower PC. Now, has Griot`s introduced new versions of this since `06? If so, this newer one may have corrected that, making it an ideal polisher. Any ideas on this?

mrclean81
02-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah this one in particular made a video comparing the three: G110, PC, and the GP. He ended up returning it to Griots, finding that the tighter orbit of the polisher renders it less aggressive than the slower PC. Now, has Griot`s introduced new versions of this since `06? If so, this newer one may have corrected that, making it an ideal polisher. Any ideas on this?

I`m glad you mentioned this because they did redo both the 6inch and 3inch polishers a while back. I don`t know exacally when but it was definatly after 06. From what I`ve heard their old machines really were junk.