PDA

View Full Version : Check out my van!

Addicted2Bling
01-30-2011, 08:33 AM
http://mediamail.boostmobile.com/mmps/RECIPIENT/003_144c7ce2c5e6d9f2_1/3.jpg?partExt=.jpg&limitsize=320,320&outquality=56&rand=8816899296488930728&ext=.jpg&border=2,0,0,0&inviteToken=TEar4wh6YUkvf5uUoLGU&clampsize=320

What do you guys think? You think I can successfully turn it into a detailing rig??? I was thinking some nice chrome letters over the black window tint:D

GearHead_1
01-30-2011, 10:59 AM
I, contrary to my perception of today`s car enthusiasts still like chrome. Many like the blacked out and basic appearance. I think I`m from the generation where a subdued pinstripe, chrome wheels and bumpers were appreciated. Yeah, I know, there is no accounting for taste. In this case however I think I would look at white. You still get the same amount of contrast and do it without being gaudy.

dirtbustersmd
01-30-2011, 11:23 AM
and chrome vinyl lettering doesnt seem to hold up well. at least not the stuff i have worked with.

Addicted2Bling
01-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I know, there is no accounting for taste. In this case however I think I would look at white. You still get the same amount of contrast and do it without being gaudy.

But how can you say chrome is gaudy? When I look at chrome I think nice, fancy, rich, luxury! I`m trying to present my business as a premium mobile business, and I don`t want people to even think of the word "cheap"...

GearHead_1
01-30-2011, 02:26 PM
But how can you say chrome is gaudy? When I look at chrome I think nice, fancy, rich, luxury! I`m trying to present my business as a premium mobile business, and I don`t want people to even think of the word "cheap"...

I agree with the part of chrome adding a sense of luxury, but I`m talking about real chrome. I think you will find most people will be of the opinion that chrome stickers are just what you are trying to avoid, cheap. As far as gaudy goes I made the statement with respect to it won`t tie into the van as it isn`t outfitted with chrome.

C. Charles Hahn
01-30-2011, 03:18 PM
If it were me, I`d look into trading that for an Astro Cargo van instead; depending on where you`re going to be parking your rig at night/etc. the lack of windows would make for better security.

JohnHenry
01-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Slightly off topic, but I`m curious to know how many detailers can say that their vehicle signage has generated any business at all. I`ve had a marked pickup for years... concrete, then detailing, and can honestly say that I have never received a call that was attributable to my professionally cut and installed truck signs. ????

scrubs147
01-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Very nice van w/plenty of room to setup a mobile detailing unit. I sort of agree with johnhenry as far as vehicle signage goes. It is always smart to have advertising on anything and everything, every little bit helps. I have my trailer all decked out with advertising, easy to read and simple to understand, yet I am surprised at how many people look at my trailer, see me laboring over a vehicle with a hose in one hand and a vacuum in the other and walk up to me and ask, "do you detail vehicles?" Is this where Bill Engvall says, "here`s your sign".

As far as chrome lettering, as long as the lettering has an outlined separate color to make the chrome stand out better. Remember, less is more and you want people to comprehend your message without struggling through some fancy message. Simplicity, clarity, and quick to the point.

Garry Dean
01-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Slightly off topic, but I`m curious to know how many detailers can say that their vehicle signage has generated any business at all. I`ve had a marked pickup for years... concrete, then detailing, and can honestly say that I have never received a call that was attributable to my professionally cut and installed truck signs. ????

I agree! I had decals all over my trucks for years and maybe got 3 calls from them. To me a truck with decals all over it says "cheap." Every so called "detailer" and his brother brands their truck with stickers. You just need to do great quality work and provide superior customer service and the advertising is done by itself. Put that money into good products and equipment. Good luck!

By the way, that van looks nice and very functional for a detailing business, but it may be overkill unless you plan on carrying a water tank and generator.

Addicted2Bling
01-30-2011, 11:55 PM
If it were me, I`d look into trading that for an Astro Cargo van instead; depending on where you`re going to be parking your rig at night/etc. the lack of windows would make for better security.

Yeah I might have to get a security system installed. Going out and trading vans isn`t exactly as easy as your making it sound lol

I agree! I had decals all over my trucks for years and maybe got 3 calls from them. To me a truck with decals all over it says "cheap." Every so called "detailer" and his brother brands their truck with stickers. You just need to do great quality work and provide superior customer service and the advertising is done by itself. Put that money into good products and equipment. Good luck!

By the way, that van looks nice and very functional for a detailing business, but it may be overkill unless you plan on carrying a water tank and generator.

Thats a good point, I`d rather give out the impression that I`m trying to do good work instead of trying to make my business look good. Walk before you crawl or however that goes

EDIT: Yes, water tank and generator, pressure washer, the whole nine yards are going on that thing

DJsDetails
01-31-2011, 08:00 PM

Do you find this gaudy?:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_3acIBrcmxa4/TUdW8ifaC8I/AAAAAAAAAJ4/_J4hG16Ilyg/s640/Logo.jpg

The above is my truck with chrome lettering, it looks just as new as the day I put it on, and I think it definitely stands out from just plain lettering. See below:

http://www.nocostsigns.com/images/WeaversHomeRepair2.jpg

Which to you honestly looks better? If you keep chrome simple with very nice looking text, it can be pulled off. Now if I didn`t have a chrome rear bumper, I couldn`t say I`d have went with that vinyl. But it did match the bumper and I think it goes very well with my truck. You have to already have nice chrome on your vehicle (not chrome add-ons like door trim/handles/20" rims/etc.). And on another note, if your vehicle isn`t clean, no one is going to hire your regardless of how nice your vinyl is.

I agree! I had decals all over my trucks for years and maybe got 3 calls from them. To me a truck with decals all over it says "cheap." Every so called "detailer" and his brother brands their truck with stickers. You just need to do great quality work and provide superior customer service and the advertising is done by itself. Put that money into good products and equipment.

Yes I agree that magnets everywhere look bad, but from a professional stand point, you have to have your company name somewhere. I have the vinyl on the back and that is it. No magnets on the side, just the rear window. Don`t wrap your car in it. I can be working on a car and someone will drive by, and without even having to stop and ask me if I`m a detailer, they`ll know. When it comes to getting business by driving around with my vinyl, I`ve gotten very little this way. BUT having that vinyl on my truck while I`m working is a different story. Clients have admitted to remembering my company name from the vinyl as they saw me working and then looked me up later.

Another thing, it makes a point to the client that just hired you too. You`re not some guy working out of his daily driver, this is your business and you`ll put your name on it to back your work. It lends to another level of credibility.

DJsDetails
01-31-2011, 08:03 PM
That vinyl ^ cost me $80 and I easily installed it myself. It paid for itself, believe it or not, within 2 weeks by someone driving behind me that read it. This is not going to be a great source of new work, but it`s not like I lost money over it. It is good for many more reasons, as I listed above, than just trying to get business from driving around with vinyl on your vehicle.

I say go for it as long as it fits your vehicle

Addicted2Bling
01-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Do you find this gaudy?

No that looks good and that`s why I am stealing your idea :D

Except with different name logo and fonts:bigups

occupant
02-12-2011, 12:13 PM
It looks good if you want to spend the money. Me, I`m cheap. I`ll take a simple pair of door magnets from VistaPrint. My wife bought magnetic door signs for her truck. She got a Buy 1 Get 1 Free deal, plus 6% back from eBates and free shipping. Total cost $14.99 and she got 90 cents back on eBates.

It looks good, right? Yes? No? This is only a crappy cell phone pic through a window with the sun shining against it.

http://i52.tinypic.com/1z6scv7.jpg

Tried to enhance it, I suck at this...

http://i56.tinypic.com/9thffn.jpg