PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade on Van Suspension...

Pages : [1] 2

Addicted2Bling
01-07-2011, 06:18 PM
My 97 astro has got shocks in the back with no springs. This concerns me because I plan on hauling around a 55 gallon water tank, not to mention pressure washer and generator. I mean, we`re talking around 700 pounds of dead weight. Now, I plan on lowering this van about 2 inches, frankly, I feel that this van is way too high off the ground, and I think if it was lowered it would look alot better, and be better suitable for work. I want my van to stick out to people and get their attention. Is there any way I can lower the van but put better suspension on it? And what kind of suspension do you guys recommend? And lets say I did buy all the suspension parts, how hard would it be to do it myself?

GearHead_1
01-07-2011, 06:41 PM
No springs? What`s holding it up? Does it have an airlift suspension? Unless this van is already bagged, it`s got some type of spring back there. Should be a leaf set up. Way back in the day the Astro`s had glass springs and they went bad with some frequency.

Wanting to lower a vehicle and give it extra load capacity at the same time is kind of like standing at both ends of the spectrum and looking towards the middle. Short of making it ride like an old plank wagon air is likely the most suitable option.

From what you are describing, bagging it may be your answer. As a solution, it isn`t cheap. I wouldn`t think you would have to bag it on all 4 wheels though that would likely work out best. I`m sure you could bag the back and change the spindles and springs up front. Chances are if you have to ask whether or not you can bag the van yourself, you would be best to leave it to someone that knows they can.

One last thought came across my mind when finishing this post. This doesn`t happen to be the AWD model does it?

Tex Star Detail
01-07-2011, 08:07 PM
You have leaf springs. And the year your van is, yours should like this:
Notice the extra over-load leaf on the bottom, (short leaf) you may or may not have it:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/texstardetail/99%20Astro/SDC10639.jpg

I am currently running the leafs with the over-load spring.

I think you may be thinking about coil-over shocks.

I`ll tell you what.... With that type of load, I would run at least air shocks, as I am doing. Air bags are a little more pricey vs the air shocks, but are worth it too.

The AXLE attaches BELOW the leaf springs, and the only way to lower is to do what is called an "Axle flip", which is basically putting the axle in top rather that below the leaf springs. The problem you will have with that, carrying weight, is the clearance from the axle to the frame rail. And trust me, there won`t be much when you are weighted down. (and if you hit a bump, you will kill your bumpstop and slam the axle into the frame, not a pretty site)
Here is a pic of the bumpstop and distance under my van at REGULAR height:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/texstardetail/99%20Astro/SDC10635.jpg

As you can see, the bump stops are GONE.... (they were like that when I purchased the van. My van was weighted down and there wasn`t much room. (no air shocks yet either.)

So, in my opinion, I would save my money on the drop. Spend it on the rear suspension upgrades and be safe!:rockon

Tex Star Detail
01-07-2011, 08:09 PM
When I talk about air bags, I am talking about the helper air bags. Ones that you use to help level the load, not ones to lay it on it`s rockers. If you DO plan on lowering, the ONLY way I think of is to C-NOTCH the frame and van floor...

As for doing it yourself, you`ll need about 4 jack stands tall enough to get the van up. Air tools make short work of suspension work. If no air tools, I recommend "cheater bars", a GOOD set of 3/4 inch sockets, torque wrench, two jacks, good wrenches, lots of WD-40 if you live in the rust belt, and patience. (sure there is more) It`s pricey to get all of it, as I had to buy an extra jack and 4 big arsed stands.....It`s easy, but wouldn`t recommend someone that doesn`t know what they are doing to perform it alone. It`s a saftey factor. Not saying you can`t, just saying...

Pulling the whole axle is another story. you have brake lines to disconnect, and they have to be bled correctly

GearHead_1
01-07-2011, 08:18 PM
I`m thinking once he gets his water back there, he`s taken care of 2" drop of which he`s speaking. Now he needs a method to support it. I`ve never been a fan of air shocks but they may be a relatively inexpensive way to help haul the load.

A2B, you don`t need to have a vehicle shaving asphalt to utilize an air suspension. You can use them to lift, equalize and lower vehicle height. Typically there is more involved than just sticking bags under the vehicle. As Tex mentioned if you were to want to go much lower you weed need a C-Channel in the frame.

Tex Star Detail
01-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Yea, I`m not a fan of them either, but I admit that I run them.
My Astro van was squatting bad in the rear after my 65 gallon tank was filled. I swapped my leaf springs with different leaf springs, with the over load leaf, then added air shocks. It` levels it off nicely.

I did an unloaded measument at all four corners, weighted the van, and then remeasured. It seems to drop almost 3 inches in the rear. I cannot find my thread on the astro site.... He shouldn`t run it just like that, as the springs will arch the wrong way, and after a while, do more damage than good. (bottoming out)

GearHead_1
01-07-2011, 08:31 PM
I agree Tex, I`m not really a fan of air suspension either, never really dug the slammed look. That said, to each there own, with what is offered today, these suspensions can be very flexible. The only reason I started down this road was simply because depending on how you set up the solenoids, valves and regulators you can adjust independently the load for each wheel. I can see where with limited space and water tanks this might be useful.

Tex Star Detail
01-07-2011, 08:41 PM
My last Van, Safari (same as an Astro) was a 95 and came with the composite mono leaf spring, which sucked. I swapped them out for steels, but had to swap hangars as well....... in which I had to drop the gas tank to remove one of the bolts.....

After I sold that, I bought my Dad`s 99 Astro and just finished the suspension. I swapped the stell leafs with newer ones witht the added helper on in there. I`m satisfied. I could spend countless more $$$ on it, but it suits me fine as is.

I love these vans and wish they brought them back. I would definately buy a new one. But til then, I wrench a way on mine. I think it is safe to say that I now know more about these vans to comfortably do any type of repair work on my own.

Addicted2Bling
01-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Those air shocks you mentioned tex seems like a good idea, I mean you can adjust them to the height you want and they can sustain weight up to 1200 pounds, not to mention they are really cheap. So i`m assuming you need to fill the things up with air? or how does it work? And if I put these things on I would also be able to lower it a little to huh?

Correct me if I`m wrong, but I was thinking, get some of these and have your coil springs over them, that would be a cheap effective way to lower it and still have a cushioned ride.

When you think about it, 700 pounds really isn`t alot of weight, it`s no different than having 3 fat guys riding in the back. And that`s pretty much what an astro van was made for...

Scott P
01-09-2011, 02:01 PM
You seem to be willing to dispose of practicality or reliability in the name of looks. No use getting new customers because your van is dropped when you can`t get to the appointment because your suspension is broken.

If you want to stick out and draw attention to yourself or your business, get a nice paint job and do quality work.

Addicted2Bling
01-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Found these babies for 74 bucks at auto zone, http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//34/full/15560019_mon_ma758_pri_detl.jpg

What I don`t get is, don`t you need some kind of air compressor installed or something to fill them? Or do you just go to a gas station and fill them?

GearHead_1
01-09-2011, 02:24 PM
These are designed for a manual fill, just like a tire. They can however be hooked to a compressor but there is more that needs to be done in order to accommodate that set up.

tuscarora dave
01-09-2011, 02:29 PM
My last Van, Safari (same as an Astro) was a 95 and came with the composite mono leaf spring, which sucked. I swapped them out for steels, but had to swap hangars as well....... in which I had to drop the gas tank to remove one of the bolts.....
Hey Tex, about how much did this swap cost to do? I have this 95 Safari with the composite springs. It is OK with my current setup but if I want to add water to my setup it will definitely need done.

Scott P
01-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Those air shocks you mentioned tex seems like a good idea, I mean you can adjust them to the height you want and they can sustain weight up to 1200 pounds, not to mention they are really cheap. So i`m assuming you need to fill the things up with air? or how does it work? And if I put these things on I would also be able to lower it a little to huh?

Correct me if I`m wrong, but I was thinking, get some of these and have your coil springs over them, that would be a cheap effective way to lower it and still have a cushioned ride.

When you think about it, 700 pounds really isn`t alot of weight, it`s no different than having 3 fat guys riding in the back. And that`s pretty much what an astro van was made for...

After reading Tex`s original and subsequent posts, where do you get any mention of coil springs? Honestly, if you looked under your truck and didn`t think you had springs, maybe doing suspension work isn`t a good path to take.

Have you visited to registered for the Astro forum that was mentioned previously? That place would seem better suited to answer your questions since the knowledge level would be naturally higher there.

Addicted2Bling
01-09-2011, 03:47 PM
After reading Tex`s original and subsequent posts, where do you get any mention of coil springs? Honestly, if you looked under your truck and didn`t think you had springs, maybe doing suspension work isn`t a good path to take.

Have you visited to registered for the Astro forum that was mentioned previously? That place would seem better suited to answer your questions since the knowledge level would be naturally higher there.

That`s not a bad idea, but I was hoping to get some imput from other detailers, because I would think on those forums you would have all kinds of crazy people talking about different things they are doing to their vans. On here I thought I would get info on this matter from a detailers perspective instead of a chevy van enthusiast. But it looks like I might have to do that, I mean there`s not a damn person on here that knows alot about it except gear and tex lol