PDA

View Full Version : Astro Van Mobile Set up

Pages : [1] 2

ExoticAutoDetai
12-30-2010, 02:00 AM
:help:I am thinking about setting up an Astro I have for mobile detail. I was wondering whats the biggest water tank i should go for? I had in mind a water tank between 100 and 150 gallons of water. Lets keep in mind the more weight the more gas the car spends.

Other than the water tank I will be carrying my 3,000 PSI Ridgid PW, a 30 Gallon air compressor, generator, mid size vaccum, my detail supplies and chemicals.

I plan on doing about 5-8 cars a day wash and wax.

About how many cars sedan size, suv size can i do with 125 gallon water tank?

Addicted2Bling
12-30-2010, 08:16 AM
55 Gallon drums on craigslist. Check them out, they are dirt cheap, and if you buy more than 1 you can link them together. And they don`t look that bad either!

ExoticAutoDetai
12-30-2010, 10:29 AM
55 Gallon drums on craigslist. Check them out, they are dirt cheap, and if you buy more than 1 you can link them together. And they don`t look that bad either!

Yea last night I found good water tanks for less than $100. I found a 125 gallon tank as well. I wonder how many cars I can do with 125 wash and wax only.

How would you link 2 55 gallon tank? What about the space? Is it linking these 2 is better than buying one tank of 100 gallon maybe?

Exotic Auto Detail via tapatalk

dirtbustersmd
12-30-2010, 11:59 AM
i can wash 4 vehicles or more out of my 90 gallon tank. Its all in how efficient you are.

Tex Star Detail
12-30-2010, 04:13 PM
I run a 65 gallon tank in my astro. I wouldn recommend more than a 95
Gallon tank. What year astro are u planning on running? Check your leaf springs.
1995 was the last year they used a composite/ fiberglass mono leaf spring.
If you have the mono spring, I recommend swapping to the 96 and newer steel springs.
You will need the front hangers as well. Very easy swap. Make sure you have decent tires to
hold up to the weight. Check your bump stops and get air shocks or helper air bags.
If you have the fiberglass springs and don`t plan on swapping them, I wouldn`t run more than a 65 gallon tank. The composite springs are prone to cracking if overloaded. Try to keep the tank centered over the axle. Not behind it. I`m on my 2nd astro, so I know my way around them fairly well. Check out Chevy Astro Vans - GMC Safari Vans (http://www.astrosafari.com). I have the same screen name over there. Good forum for the vans. Very informative.

Sorry if the post looks odd, as I am posting from a phone. :)

Poorboy
12-30-2010, 04:37 PM
My cousin tried a 150 gallon tank in an Astro and it did not fare well .. suspension is not made for that kind of weight, let alone liquid which will be moving. The engine and tranny will be stressed.
Look into a full size van 2500 or 3500 series, even a used utility van.
it will pay off in the long term

C. Charles Hahn
12-30-2010, 05:21 PM
If you use a rinseless wash and/or waterless wash as often as you can you`ll need less water and save money/time.

Addicted2Bling
12-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Yea last night I found good water tanks for less than $100.

Where at?

ExoticAutoDetai
12-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Gallon tank. What year astro are u planning on running? Check your leaf springs.
If you have the mono spring, I recommend swapping to the 96 and newer steel springs.
You will need the front hangers as well. Very easy swap. Make sure you have decent tires to
hold up to the weight. Check your bump stops and get air shocks or helper air bags.
If you have the fiberglass springs and don`t plan on swapping them, I wouldn`t run more than a 65 gallon tank. The composite springs are prone to cracking if overloaded. Try to keep the tank centered over the axle. Not behind it. I`m on my 2nd astro, so I know my way around them fairly well. Check out Chevy Astro Vans - GMC Safari Vans (http://www.astrosafari.com). I have the same screen name over there. Good forum for the vans. Very informative.

My astro is if i am not mistaken a 2002, I am not quite sure if my leaf springs are metal or fiberglass but I am planing in upgrading the leaf springs for better support. What is better air shocks or air bags? I was planning in getting a 100 gallons water tank or 125 as long as i can do at least 8 cars a day.

Thanks for the forum :yay I was looking for one!! Dont be sorry it shows you are a really cool dude to post all this from your phone:lol2:

ExoticAutoDetai
12-30-2010, 09:30 PM
My cousin tried a 150 gallon tank in an Astro and it did not fare well .. suspension is not made for that kind of weight, let alone liquid which will be moving. The engine and tranny will be stressed.
Look into a full size van 2500 or 3500 series, even a used utility van.
it will pay off in the long term

Well you have to upgrade your suspension so I am guessing thats where your cousin failed at. For example if you lift a pick up truck you need to upgrade your brakes. I been around Astros for a long time and they got power thats why I love those cars. If i had the money i would buy a Chevy Express van so since this would be my first mobile set up I rather take advantage of what I have.

ExoticAutoDetai
12-30-2010, 09:31 PM
i can wash 4 vehicles or more out of my 90 gallon tank. Its all in how efficient you are.

What size would those 4 vehicles would end up being? I dont seem to like this number now, I am trying to at least do 8 cars for wash and wax and maybe 2 details.

ExoticAutoDetai
12-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Where at?
Craiglist my friend!!! :crazy2:

Go getta
12-30-2010, 11:10 PM

Hey how`s it going my man? I just got my hands on a 98 astro and having some issues with my set-up. If possible can you either post or message me some pic of how your operating? Thanks, Go Getta...:help:

Tex Star Detail
12-30-2010, 11:55 PM
If you have a 2002, then you have steel leaf springs. I have a 99, and it had 3 leafs. They make another steel leafspring pack with 3 leafs and a helper leaf. I confusing you yet? Lol. Go to the astro site and type in my screen name and look for some posts of mine. As far as helper airbags and air shocks, its user preference I guess. I figured it was easier to install the shocks, so that`s what I`m running. You can get them from any parts store. I ran them on my truck, safari van, and now my astro van. I`ll post up more later when I get home this weekend.

Go Getta, I`m driving back to Texas from Vegas and won`t be home til tomorrow sometime. I will post up some info this weekend, or better yet, will just PM you. :)

Go getta
12-31-2010, 12:08 AM
Cool... Thanks my man, definitely looking forward to seeing what I need to see.
How was Vegas. or are you not telling?>?>?