PDA

View Full Version : generators???

Go getta
12-20-2010, 12:08 AM
This is for all of you mobile guys and gals, what type of generators are you all running? currently I have a 5500 watt troy built and the thing runs well, however, it is too loud. What are You using/sugguest?

Poorboy
12-20-2010, 02:08 PM
get one with a higher end Honda engine or Yamaha engine ;)

GearHead_1
12-20-2010, 02:24 PM
This is for all of you mobile guys and gals, what type of generators are you all running? currently I have a 5500 watt troy built and the thing runs well, however, it is too loud. What are You using/sugguest?

I`m assuming your TB generator has a Briggs & Stratton engine on it. I can tell you first hand that you should not waste your money on their "better" muffler. They have one that is supposed to quiet the TB machines down. I tried one of these for use at a camp site. We still had to put the machine 30 yards from the trailer. The mufflers are bigger but the machines are still loud. As Steve, mentioned Honda is a great running, long lasting, quiet engine.

dirtbustersmd
12-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Honda EU3000 is what I use....and to this date its never had a problem running my vac, extractor, polisher...all at the same time....and at Mardi Gras I have used it to run my entire sound rig at our party spot....

Go getta
12-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Lol... Man that dang generator is 2G, and Im not talking about a phone network. Does anyone run anything quieter than the Tb, but much less than the Honda???

GearHead_1
12-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Lol... Man that dang generator is 2G, and Im not talking about a phone network. Does anyone run anything quieter than the Tb, but much less than the Honda???

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention you pay for the Honda. :rofl Sorry bout` that.

Poorboy
12-21-2010, 07:48 PM
you can get a cheaper one.. try Costco,Home Depot or Lowes ;)

Go getta
12-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Hey Steve, are these generators your writing about quieter than this TB. I really am starting to think this thing is affecting my hearing, seriously.
Also any type/model suggestions?

Poorboy
12-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey Steve, are these generators your writing about quieter than this TB. I really am starting to think this thing is affecting my hearing, seriously.
Also any type/model suggestions?

there was a thread a while back where someone actually had model numbers of the better Honda engines .. I have seen them at the three retailers I listed, you can either go see them yourself or check them out on line ... as long as it is not a 2500 machine you should be fine and all three have great return policies :)

mcate
12-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Tecumseh engines were always the loudest. Briggs were quieter, & Honda`s even quieter. Probably because they`re OHC.

dirtbustersmd
12-22-2010, 08:11 AM
its so worth the money when you can stand next to your generator and have a conversation at in your normal voice....I guess I have just spoiled myself.

Addicted2Bling
12-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Is anyone around here using an inverter? I`ve been doing a bit of research and it seems like inverters are the way to go. But I don`t understand exactly how much different they run from a generator, I mean I know they use gas, but from what I understand they also need power to operate??? I`m not getting how they are so small yet how they can put out so much power. I just want to know before I dish out 1 grand over something I have no idea about. I saw this on some website, http://wisesales.com/images/EU2_Camo_Side.gif

Yep, love at first site;)

Scott P
12-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Silence comes at a price and that applies very much to generators.Lower priced generators simply don`t have the engine type, insulation and exhaust required to make them quiet. If you want a quiet generator, then you will have to pay for it.

Addicted2Bling
12-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Do you guys think a 1000 watt generator will cut it if I plan on running 1 thing at a time??? I in no way want to get it if it means any kind of loss of power on that 1 thing I will be running at a time though

Scott P
12-31-2010, 09:31 AM
Your best bet is to look at the wattage requirements of your tools. They should be quite easy to find.