PDA

View Full Version : "My Collection" Threads

Pages : [1] 2

JaredPointer
12-13-2010, 02:06 PM
I`ve noticed these (and a couple of threads started regarding the overall topic) on some of the other sites I read, and was wondering what it is that I`m missing here. I don`t really see them that much over here, but what exactly, is the point of posing all your detailing products and taking photos to put on a detailing board? I like products as much as the next guy - at least trying them and passing them on or using them and keeping some in stock. But looking at some of these threads by guys who just hobby-detail like I do that have the time to pose hundreds of products, take photos, etc. What`s the draw?

Poorboy
12-13-2010, 02:20 PM
I`ve noticed these (and a couple of threads started regarding the overall topic) on some of the other sites I read, and was wondering what it is that I`m missing here. I don`t really see them that much over here, but what exactly, is the point of posing all your detailing products and taking photos to put on a detailing board? I like products as much as the next guy - at least trying them and passing them on or using them and keeping some in stock. But looking at some of these threads by guys who just hobby-detail like I do that have the time to pose hundreds of products, take photos, etc. What`s the draw?

the guy who dies with the most stuff wins :idea no that`s not it :hmmm:

Concours.John
12-13-2010, 02:24 PM
I`m not sure myself. All my stuff is organized in about 8 containers. I`m not going to pull it all out and take pics. Heck I haven`t figured out how to get pics other than my I-phone posted. To each their own I guess.

JaredPointer
12-13-2010, 02:54 PM
I completely agree, and this isn`t really a knock on anyone who likes to show off their product accumulations. I just don`t really get it. Are there that many detailing enthusiasts around that really care to see all the stuff you got? :)

He who dies with the most QD`s wins, Steve. ;)

dirtbustersmd
12-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Jared, what part of Bama are you from?

chet31
12-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I have seen a couple of threads on this, and found them oddly fascinating (even though I didn`t get it either). One guy had complete product lines from at least 5 different vendors and estimated he had spent 3,300 pounds sterling, or about $5K on products. Maybe I liked it because I could potentially show my wife these threads and make my expenditures look modest in comparison.

Concours.John
12-13-2010, 05:49 PM
I have seen a couple of threads on this, and found them oddly fascinating (even though I didn`t get it either). One guy had complete product lines from at least 5 different vendors and estimated he had spent 3,300 pounds sterling, or about $5K on products. Maybe I liked it because I could potentially show my wife these threads and make my expenditures look modest in comparison.

Agreed!!

Bunky
12-13-2010, 06:09 PM
the guy who dies with the most stuff wins :idea no that`s not it :hmmm:

Yup. the ones who sold it to him won !

I saw one collection and they said he was organized. In part, he just put all this stuff out on the floor in groups and took pictures of them.

Bunky
12-13-2010, 06:13 PM
BTW, I did see one guy post some IPA bottles. Now, I know Walgreen`s sells large size IPA so the post was useful.

JaredPointer
12-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Jared, what part of Bama are you from?

East-Central (Birmingham -> Oxford/Anniston)

Big Leegr
12-13-2010, 08:57 PM
I think it`s kind of like wearing jewelry. "See what I got?" Doesn`t really do anything other than look pretty (some products have pretty fancy packaging & high price tags) and allow for showing off.

But then, people take pictures of their cars after waxing them, often with the products used shown as well, so maybe these people feel their car isn`t too show ready, but would like to be "part of the group" by posting pics of the products at least.

Gus-Gus
12-13-2010, 09:48 PM
i partially did it to make fun of Jenna nd i partially did it for the free prize! :D

C. Charles Hahn
12-15-2010, 04:04 PM
In some ways it can be helpful when people show how they actually have their products stored and organized in their work areas, since that information can be used to pick up tips for efficient work-flow while detailing.

Aside from that, my stance is "It doesn`t matter what products you have in your collection, it`s whether or not you know how to use them and DO use them."

Concours.John
12-15-2010, 08:22 PM
In some ways it can be helpful when people show how they actually have their products stored and organized in their work areas, since that information can be used to pick up tips for efficient work-flow while detailing.

Aside from that, my stance is "It doesn`t matter what products you have in your collection, it`s whether or not you know how to use them and DO use them."

I agree. Thinking on taking on help and now realizing how monkey proof you have to make it.

C. Charles Hahn
12-16-2010, 01:03 AM
I agree. Thinking on taking on help and now realizing how monkey proof you have to make it.

Indeed. It`s not really hard to find people who can do the physical labor and complete tasks they`ve been assigned; however finding people with the knowledge, ability, and passion to understand WHY they`re doing what they`re doing and being able to determine appropriate procedures to follow with any number of choice variables is difficult. Those people are few and far between in the world of "professional" detailing, sadly.