PDA

View Full Version : Blue tape

Kdubski
12-01-2010, 06:29 PM
I noticed a lot of people like to mask off sections of the car at a time. My questions is however, since the tape is 1/2``+ thick at times, what do you do when the tape comes off for example the hood? Because that`s a hefty amount of area left over under the tape.

Poorboy
12-01-2010, 07:25 PM
I noticed a lot of people like to mask off sections of the car at a time. My questions is however, since the tape is 1/2``+ thick at times, what do you do when the tape comes off for example the hood? Because that`s a hefty amount of area left over under the tape.

not exactly sure what you are asking, but the tape does not usually go on the paint, even though some do tape edges. If you are talking about how some people split a panel up, it is usually for comparison and afterwards they would go over those areas again.

hope that helps :)

Kdubski
12-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Oh ok because I though detailers mask it off so they have smaller areas to work with. But this answers my question thanks.

Tex Star Detail
12-01-2010, 08:03 PM
And if you ever buy the blue masking tape, STAY AWAY from the "Duck" brand. It is horrible at sticking.

C. Charles Hahn
12-02-2010, 02:21 AM
Personally I`ve gotten to really liking the Meguiar`s masking tape. Does better than the blue or green 3M when running a buffer near it.

Bunky
12-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Personally I`ve gotten to really liking the Meguiar`s masking tape. Does better than the blue or green 3M when running a buffer near it.

Technically, Meg`s tape is 3M too...:D

Poorboy
12-02-2010, 05:15 PM

that`s right :lol2:

CelebrityMobile
12-02-2010, 05:23 PM
I use tape to protect moldings or door handles when i buff. I do not always do it, but if the car is badly scratched then it helps me get the entire surface.

CelebrityMobile
12-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Pinstripes as well.

C. Charles Hahn
12-02-2010, 10:32 PM

True :bigups

Either way, the adhesive on it works better than the stuff on the blue or green tape.:crazy2:

Dubbin1
12-05-2010, 12:30 PM

While that is true, the Megs tape is different from the painters tape.

DJsDetails
12-06-2010, 02:20 AM
3M automotive (green) is what I use. Works just fine, just don`t run right up to it. When you go back over the taped area, you`re going to cover more than the width of the tape anyways; no biggie. If I`m taping, it`s to show a client the difference B&A, or trying to sell a paint correction, in which case it will be a dramatic enough improvement that I don`t need a perfect line; they`ll still be able to see the difference whether or not the correction comes right up to the tape`s edge.

They sell the 3m automotive everywhere but you`ll have to order Meg`s I believe; someone correct me if I`m wrong

C. Charles Hahn
12-06-2010, 11:16 AM
They sell the 3m automotive everywhere but you`ll have to order Meg`s I believe; someone correct me if I`m wrong

If I`m not mistaken, my local PBE Jobber carries the Meg`s stuff as well, but I got mine from Autogeek with one of my supply orders anyway.