PDA

View Full Version : Truth in Online Forums?

Pages : [1] 2

Beemerboy
11-30-2010, 11:44 AM
The one thing that I have enjoyed about DC is how well its run, and the respect all the members have for each other. Over the years that I have posted here, you really get to know the members, their lives, families and such. That`s the cool part to me.

A couple of other car forums that I post on, mainly in the detail section. I always don`t get that vibe. I think that for some its an ego trip, they have to make it sound better than it really is.

So let me thank DC and its members for a great place to talk about my passion of detailing, read and share all of my life! :D

JaredPointer
11-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Everyone has an agenda. ;)

Beemerboy
11-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Everyone has an agenda. ;)

What made this come to mind. Was on a car forum, someone asked "whats the average age" of the posters who are driving a car that in the 60K to 80K range.

On the first page alone not one of the posters was over 30 and more to the tune of 20 ish. Maybe it just surprised me that kids that age could afford a car of that status and price. I can`t with all else I pay a mouth and certainly couldn`t have at 20.

I guess you can paint me a non-believer in some that:D

shuddleston
11-30-2010, 02:01 PM
I could add, my car, wifes car and both kids cars and not make it into that category.

JohnHenry
11-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Not sure if those hi-dollar car claims are bogus or not. I will tell you though that driving past a high school parking lot is a humbling experience for me.

Beemerboy
11-30-2010, 02:05 PM
I could add, my car, wifes car and both kids cars and not make it into that category.

:rofl:rofl:rofl put me down for that one!

Not sure if those hi-dollar car claims are bogus or not. I will tell you though that driving past a high school parking lot is a humbling experience for me.

well in my son`s case..he will be sporting the Mighty 1987 Ford Ranger when he gets to driving age

shuddleston
11-30-2010, 02:09 PM
I bought my son a 97 grand prix GT from a friend for $1,200 and my daughter a 93 Nissan NX with 70,000 original miles for $1,500. Nissan hands down is less maintenance than the Pontiac but doesn`t look as good. Told them if they wanted nicer it was on them.

Beemerboy
11-30-2010, 02:28 PM
I bought my son a 97 grand prix GT from a friend for $1,200 and my daughter a 93 Nissan NX with 70,000 original miles for $1,500. Nissan hands down is less maintenance than the Pontiac but doesn`t look as good. Told them if they wanted nicer it was on them.

My 87 Ranger was $1000 on a lean sale...The 96 Camry was a gift from my MIL that was after my FIL passed away that`s worth about 3K

Even with all the repairs and maintenance, I`ve done in the last two years, I still haven`t broke 6K:D

shuddleston
11-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Nice that`s the way to go too bad I couldn`t follow my own advice I tend to trade alot. Rangers are pretty much bullet proof and Camry has a pretty good track record as wel. Can probably drive those forever.

JaredPointer
11-30-2010, 03:16 PM
What made this come to mind. Was on a car forum, someone asked "whats the average age" of the posters who are driving a car that in the 60K to 80K range.

On the first page alone not one of the posters was over 30 and more to the tune of 20 ish. Maybe it just surprised me that kids that age could afford a car of that status and price. I can`t with all else I pay a mouth and certainly couldn`t have at 20.

I guess you can paint me a non-believer in some that:D

It`s pretty easy to go out and buy a lotta stuff you can`t afford. On the other hand, it`s also easy to be things you are not via the interwebz.

tuscarora dave
11-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Nice that`s the way to go too bad I couldn`t follow my own advice I tend to trade alot. Rangers are pretty much bullet proof and Camry has a pretty good track record as wel. Can probably drive those forever.

My brother bought a 2000 Ford ranger with a 4 cylinder that was run with no oil in it. The previous owner said he would wait until the oil light came on to know when to add oil. My bro paid $400. for the truck and drives it between Hagerstown MD and Watertown NY.

Mr. Clean
11-30-2010, 04:02 PM
It`s pretty easy to go out and buy a lotta stuff you can`t afford. On the other hand, it`s also easy to be things you are not via the interwebz.

ya think? :D
YouTube - Brad Paisley - Online

GearHead_1
11-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Say, isn`t that a Country Western video? Who were those people? ;-)

Mr. Clean
11-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Say, isn`t that a Country Western video? Who were those people? ;-)
Sir, I apologize for not gving a warning. :rofl

I`ll say this about that...it is performed by one of the current superstars of C&W music, though I would hesitate to classify the song as country and definitely not western. :) It just seemed so appropriate as a response to JP`s comment.

As to the cast of characters...Shatner just cracks me up in so many of his most recent roles and this one doesn`t disappoint either.

shuddleston
11-30-2010, 05:23 PM
My brother bought a 2000 Ford ranger with a 4 cylinder that was run with no oil in it. The previous owner said he would wait until the oil light came on to know when to add oil. My bro paid $400. for the truck and drives it between Hagerstown MD and Watertown NY.

That`s pretty cold up that way I used to be stationed at Fort Drum lived in Watertown, NY.