PDA

View Full Version : Clear Film

JSFM35X
11-21-2010, 07:20 AM
I need to get up to speed on protective clear film so that I can decide what product to install on my car.

Can someone on the know point me to a forum? I have spoken to several top shops and gotten conflicting information. What I need to know is:

Best product for clarity, impacct resistant that can be polished.

I have been told that 3M Film is the best except it will not cover the whole hood and stops 2-3 inches short on the top. I hate that line. Dirt and debris will collect there and draw my eye.

Xpel is supose to be better than venture shield in appreaance but venture by 3M is stronger (not sure I need is stronger).

My goal is to protect a new vehicle before it gets chipped up and have a product that can be corrected, sealed and look as good as possible. Would prefer full hood coverage.

Thanks,

Jeff

Beemerboy
11-21-2010, 11:08 AM
3M is the innovator of the film and from what I have seen they are the go to for it.

dirtbustersmd
11-21-2010, 02:18 PM
We use XPEL and have no complaints at all. Just make sure you wax the ppf regularly to keep it in good condition.

JSFM35X
11-21-2010, 03:02 PM
We use XPEL and have no complaints at all. Just make sure you wax the ppf regularly to keep it in good condition.

Can you polish out the Xpel? If you hit a but and it leaves a mark that washing does not remove can you polish it out? On White, does the Xpel look in visible as apossed to yellow?

Beemerboy
11-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Can you polish out the Xpel? If you hit a but and it leaves a mark that washing does not remove can you polish it out? On White, does the Xpel look in visible as apossed to yellow?

You can polish the film but use a chemical based polish like PB PP or a paint cleaner :D

GearHead_1
11-21-2010, 04:50 PM
...My goal is to protect a new vehicle before it gets chipped up and have a product that can be corrected...

I mean no offense in this statement but I seriously believe this is a bit of a stretch regardless how the product is marketed. As has been said I wouldn`t count on using any polish other than a chemical polish on a film.

Poorboy
11-21-2010, 07:34 PM
I mean no offense in this statement but I seriously believe this is a bit of a stretch regardless how the product is marketed. As has been said I wouldn`t count on using any polish other than a chemical polish on a film.

I have to agree here Jeff .. cleaning should be possible on all the films, but correction of a film would be a stretch :hmmm:

dirtbustersmd
11-21-2010, 10:32 PM
its all very invisible...from most angles....i have never had to polish the kits, just simply wax them...

JSFM35X
11-22-2010, 02:23 PM

Some of these questions might be off base but that is because I am at the begining of learning about film and the different characteristic`s of each brand. When I get it down pat, I will report back.

I have to agree here Jeff .. cleaning should be possible on all the films, but correction of a film would be a stretch :hmmm:

What I mean is if you kill a bug and it leaves a white mar or scuff I have seen guys on other forums polish it out. Not sure if they all can be polished up?

its all very invisible...from most angles....i have never had to polish the kits, just simply wax them...

Just wax or is sealant ok as well?

Thanks all.

Poorboy
11-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Some of these questions might be off base but that is because I am at the begining of learning about film and the different characteristic`s of each brand. When I get it down pat, I will report back.

What I mean is if you kill a bug and it leaves a white mar or scuff I have seen guys on other forums polish it out. Not sure if they all can be polished up?

Just wax or is sealant ok as well?

Thanks all.

I`d say you are pretty safe on getting any bug or light stains off with a light polish like Pro Polish with no problem at all. ;)

dirtbustersmd
11-22-2010, 05:21 PM
i`ve used wax and paint sealants on the kits and no problem...just dont use a true cut polish, use a chemical based one if the need comes up though i doubt it will ever happen.