PDA

View Full Version : Technique vs Product

mcate
09-26-2010, 07:46 AM
I get people stopping me all the time asking how I make my cars shine so well. I`ve been a shining cars for shows ever since I was a teenager using DuPont Rain Dance, so I`ve found out what techniques work for me. But I wonder what the percentage is: 50% product, 50% technique? 60-40? What does everyone here think the percentage is for you?

Poorboy
09-26-2010, 07:59 AM
truthfully that is a loaded question ... on a detailing board the percentage should be higher on the technique side, but for the general public it will go the other way ... being that I deal with both the general public at car shows and the amount of newbees that either call or write also, I can tell you from my own experiences that product means more to them as well as ease of use.
On the other hand, an experienced detailer should have better understanding of how to achieve a better finish but at the same time has higher expectations, and then gets better results from better products.

Big Leegr
09-26-2010, 08:29 AM
I would say it depends on the product as well. Some are pretty bad, so it would require a much higher percentage for technique over product to get good results. On the other hand, some products are pretty spiffy, almost fool-proof, so you wouldn`t need as much technique to get good results while using such a product.

black bart
09-26-2010, 10:08 AM
I think where technique and product count is while polishing.

After you have a mirror Finnish nearly any product will look good so I use one that is very durable because after I get it looking awesome I want to keep it looking that way without constant reapplying the LSP

JaredPointer
09-26-2010, 11:47 AM
I`d say at least 75% or higher on the skill/technique side, even using a junk product. Using only quality products I`d say more like 90+% process.

C. Charles Hahn
09-26-2010, 01:47 PM
I`d say at least 75% or higher on the skill/technique side, even using a junk product. Using only quality products I`d say more like 90+% process.

Agreed. I`d say that for consumer-grade products that are comparatively mild and designed for ease of use, technique isn`t nearly as important as the product`s own merits. With pro grade products though, where the intention is to get the best possible results as opposed to providing ease of use, the technique required to get the most out of the product is far more important.

Then again, I like to think that because I understand the technique behind given procedures, I can still get better results than most even when using the crappiest, cheapest products I can find.

black bart
09-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Agreed. I`d say that for consumer-grade products that are comparatively mild and designed for ease of use, technique isn`t nearly as important as the product`s own merits. With pro grade products though, where the intention is to get the best possible results as opposed to providing ease of use, the technique required to get the most out of the product is far more important.

Then again, I like to think that because I understand the technique behind given procedures, I can still get better results than most even when using the crappiest, cheapest products I can find.
No shortage of ego with you. :D

Bunky
09-26-2010, 06:11 PM
I think technique is more important than product.

The only difference being the best technique will get the best results with least amount of effort (like applying it too thickly).

C. Charles Hahn
09-27-2010, 12:17 AM
No shortage of ego with you. :D

Hey, nothing wrong with a little self-confidence! :howdy

I would never claim myself to be "the best" or anything like that; in fact I`d say there isn`t a single detailer out there who can honestly say they`ve got nothing to learn or that there isn`t at least some aspect of detailing at which others may be better than they are. :surrender

Having said that, I do want to reserve the right to tell people "I`ve forgotten more about detailing than a lot of people ever learn" should I be diagnosed with Alzheimer`s or Dementia at some point in my life.... :gotcha:

:cheers:

JSFM35X
09-27-2010, 05:02 AM
Technique is well over 95% percent. I have seen guy`s use my machines, pads and polish and know how hard to push, how many passes to make, when you heel the machines and when you stop. Its experience and technique.

I own enough stuff to full a steamer trunk and my car has swirls.

I think this is a case for what you know not what you bought. having said that, I am sure there are some products that are better then others but the difference between them is not a wide gap.

togwt
09-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Process over Product

A wax or sealant can only reflect what is underneath it, so a clean, level well-prepared surface is the most important consideration (85% of a surfaces reflectivity is its preparation) along with applied product clarity. If you apply a product over a surface that is dirty or one that has surface imperfections a wax or sealant will not disguise it, only highlight them.

Product Quality and Technique

Proceed with this in mind; the products you use constitute a very small factor in the equation. Methodology and technique constitute 95%; the reasoning behind the choice of quality products is to eliminate any limiting factors, thus enabling you to place emphasis on technique used. Fundamentally the most important thing about products is how they perform.

Product testing or even improvements to their basic formula in the laboratory is one thing, but how they perform in everyday conditions on actual vehicles is something completely different.