PDA

View Full Version : California Car Duster

Wheelman916
09-22-2010, 08:31 PM
I have one, and have heard horror stories about them scratching paint and such... any truth to that? anyone else use these? should i ditch it and invest in more quick detail spray and microfiber towels?

GearHead_1
09-22-2010, 08:57 PM
People love to hate these things. I can only speak for myself on this one. I think there is a place other than the trash can for a California Duster. Though I don`t use one often, I will tell you that I am guilty of doing so. No problems on my end.

Ronkh
09-22-2010, 09:19 PM
I had one.
Dusted the inside of my trash can after seeing what it did to my Black car when I got a touch careless.

Jodaddy
09-22-2010, 11:51 PM
I have one, dont really use it that often but havent ran into a single problem as of yet. Im with you, i hear a million stories about them but still havent witnessed it myself. I guess just be careful with it just as your careful with anything touching your car.

Beemerboy
09-23-2010, 09:37 AM
I have used them for years and see no real harm on the paint to speak of. The parafin that is in the fibers attract the dust as you pass over the paint. IMO leaving the dust on the car can cause just as much if not more harm over time

JaredPointer
09-23-2010, 09:44 AM
I have one, and use it. I don`t think (if used correctly) it poses any greater a risk than QD wipedown. To each his own and all, but some people like to exaggerate things on detailing forums. :eek:

CHEVYMAN
09-23-2010, 04:44 PM
I have one no problems at all. Like JaredPointer said : (use correctly) Watch what you do and don`t press down on it , let the fibers do the work.

RTexasF
09-23-2010, 04:53 PM
The only thing better than the one for painted surfaces is the small one for dashboards. Never a problem in ten years. There is a technique to using it.

mcate
09-23-2010, 05:23 PM
I echo what`s already been said: When used correctly they`re fine. Did my black T-bird for years, & now I do my black Mustang. Never a problem. When they get really nasty looking I throw them away & replace.

Ronkh
09-23-2010, 06:07 PM
I have one, and use it. I don`t think (if used correctly) it poses any greater a risk than QD wipedown. To each his own and all, but some people like to exaggerate things on detailing forums. :eek:

operative phrase

black bart
09-24-2010, 07:29 AM
JP really nailed it you can do damage with a QD or PB-S&W if improperly used.
I have seen guys at car shows place their hand on the top and scrub with it.
I use one when my vehicle has been sitting in the garage and collects
Light DRY DUST.
i do not allow it to lay on the surface I hold it up and just pull the tip of the fibers over the paint.
When used correctly the duster can be a valuable tool.

JaredPointer
09-24-2010, 07:41 AM
operative phrase

True. Any detailing tool or product can be used incorrectly and cause marring (or worse).