PDA

View Full Version : New to forum, and detailing

Pages : [1] 2

Wheelman916
09-15-2010, 04:11 AM
Hey everyone... Newb here!

I`ve never been real big on detailing, but i recently entered my first car show... and have been shown the light as to the care my car has been missing out on!

Needless to say, the past few days i`ve been looking at a lot of products and doing some research... which, lead me here!

i hope to learn alot from people with experience like you all have.

Wheelman916
09-15-2010, 04:18 AM
First, I was wondering what products some of you would recommend? As of now, I`m using Meguiar`s Gold Class wash, Meguiar`s Ultimate Quik Wax, and Ultimate Quik Detail spray... I`d say I wash and use the Quik Wax maybe once a month... and use the Quik detail spray to clean up about once a week... I also use a California Duster every couple days.

The car i`m most concerned about buying products for is driven around 4 or 5,000 miles a year, never driven in rain, or 100+ degree weather... and is garaged 100% of it`s "off duty" time...

I`d say i`m ready to commit to a more serious washing/waxing schedule... but i`d be looking for products that make the transition easy... not trying to start off spending 8 hours washing and waxing my car... at least not yet.

Jodaddy
09-15-2010, 03:06 PM
I love Meguiar`s products but i have actually recently used some Poorboys products and im real impressed with the out come! But its entirely up to you! If your going for ease and happy with the final product with megiuars then continue to do that, otherwise if your trying to step it up a notch order some Poorboys but be prepared to spend some time detailing if thats the route you go! Anyway Welcome to the site hope to see you around more. What do you drive anyway? and post some pictures up!

Poorboy
09-15-2010, 03:21 PM
:welcome: :dcrules

Beemerboy
09-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Welcome to the site from Sonoma County CA

Wheelman916
09-15-2010, 05:27 PM
I love Meguiar`s products but i have actually recently used some Poorboys products and im real impressed with the out come! But its entirely up to you! If your going for ease and happy with the final product with megiuars then continue to do that, otherwise if your trying to step it up a notch order some Poorboys but be prepared to spend some time detailing if thats the route you go! Anyway Welcome to the site hope to see you around more. What do you drive anyway? and post some pictures up!

Yeah the Meguiars stuff has been good to me. But the quality I saw at the car show put me to shame...

I`ve been looking into several options:
1. expanding on my Meguiar`s stuff, buying some Gold Class Carnauba and stuff
2. Buying a whole kit of Mother`s products
3. Buying a whole kit of Griot`s products
4. Buying a whole Kit of Zymol products
5. Maybe a whole kit of either Wolfgang or Pinnacle

The last 2, i didn`t know exsisted until i looked around here... but something about them says "YES" to me... haha

Oh, of course! I daily drive a 2000 Honda Civic, and my weekend driver is a 2004 Saleen S281 Speedster...

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/1hot281/photo4-8.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/1hot281/saleen-1.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/1hot281/Honda_5.jpg

black bart
09-15-2010, 05:28 PM
WELCOME TO DC :howdy

Beemerboy
09-15-2010, 05:57 PM
You should also include in your R&D the Poorboys World line, he is one of the site sponsors and makes a great product for the money. I have detailed as a part time biz for well over 30 years and started using Poorboys about 8 years ago. I haven`t used much of anything else since

Wheelman916
09-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Will do. Never heard of that one either! Is there a ton of companies out there that you have to be "in the know" to hear about?

Beemerboy
09-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Will do. Never heard of that one either! Is there a ton of companies out there that you have to be "in the know" to hear about?

Your correct there are tons to choose from. In the days prior to the net is was trail and error, today you can read and get other opinions and make a better educated decision.

That`s why I suggested Poorboys and the cool part is he has sample kits so you can start at a minimal bucks and get a good feeling for his line.

Not a lot of other suppliers do that:D

Jodaddy
09-15-2010, 06:39 PM
ooh another mustang guy, Heres mine :D ( and the fiancee in front of our cars). I have always used Meguiar products which is easy, but sense its not your daily driver i would go ahead and get some Poorboys or Pinnacle (although i have never used pinnacle personally ive heard positive feed back about their products) and spend the extra time and make that baby shine!

Wheelman916
09-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Nice Stang! I love the two tone and the pin stripe... the wheels are awesome too.

Yeah, the price of Meguiars and Mothers stuff is attractive... but since i don`t drive much, I`m considering something a little nicer. I originally intended on Griot`s stuff... but now, I dunno...

Concours.John
09-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Listen to the guys here Iv`e been around for a while and they all have real world experience. You CAN get directed in the right way what your trying to do..

Jodaddy
09-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Nice Stang! I love the two tone and the pin stripe... the wheels are awesome too.

Yeah, the price of Meguiars and Mothers stuff is attractive... but since i don`t drive much, I`m considering something a little nicer. I originally intended on Griot`s stuff... but now, I dunno...

Thanks man, i love the new edge saleens! do you ever take yours out to the track at all?

tuscarora dave
09-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Welcome to DC from Central PA. :welcome:
If you don`t intend on polishing I would suggest something with lots of fillers. Either go with PB Black hole and Natty`s Blue or stick with Gold Class Paste which has lots of fillers but not near the gloss of PB Natty`s Waxes. The problem with going to a higher end wax or sealant is that if you do not intend on first polishing, the higher end stuff tends to exaggerate or magnify paint imperfections.