PDA

View Full Version : Decal removal, anyone use one of these?

tuscarora dave
09-15-2010, 01:57 AM
I just did a decal removal job on a bus with a heat gun and plastic razor blades. Not only did I yield less than favorable results but It took way longer than I anticipated. In my search for a better way I came across this MontiPower MBX Vinyl zapper tool and wondered if anyone here has ever used one and can speak of it`s performance.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/zap_elec_miva.gif

Additionally, if anyone here has Ideas on how to attach something like that wheel to a rotary polisher I wouldn`t be against a little experimentation. Thanks

togwt
09-15-2010, 04:27 AM
3M™ Stripe Off Wheel p/t 07498

sal329
09-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Another vote for the 3m wheel

mrclean81
09-15-2010, 08:18 AM
If this did work I would buy one in a heartbeat. I remove decals on box trucks at least once or twice a month, usually using the same method you did...heat gun and plastic blade followed by harsh chemicals to remove the glue left over. I`ve got a 3M wheel but really don`t care for it since my drill isn`t variable speed.

Beemerboy
09-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Dave

Be very careful with heat on the paint, you can yellow the clear if it gets to hot

sullysdetailing
09-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Try 3m adhesive remover

njcarting1
09-15-2010, 01:46 PM
If this did work I would buy one in a heartbeat. I remove decals on box trucks at least once or twice a month, usually using the same method you did...heat gun and plastic blade followed by harsh chemicals to remove the glue left over. I`ve got a 3M wheel but really don`t care for it since my drill isn`t variable speed.

My lettering graphics guy uses the same wheel that Dave has posted. It makes short work of removing graphics and lettering jobs.:bigups:bigups:bigups

Not one worry on paint marring after the wheel does its work, it still leaves some glue residue after that will have to be removed...