PDA

View Full Version : Best car soap?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bunky
09-11-2010, 06:47 AM
In another thread the web site rating PB`s as number one was discussed but my post is now gone so here it is again.

Best Car Wash Soap and Shampoo – Reviews and Rankings | Bestcovery (http://www.bestcovery.com/best-car-wash-soap-and-shampoo)

I had seen that website but not sure how they determine what is best.

The automotive expert listed has this bio:

About Me:
I am an analytical thinker who likes to solve problems using a hands-on approach. I was a philosophy major with an emphasis on formal logic. I like knowing how things work.
I have repaired and restored cars and motorcycles, remodeled houses, and I build and maintain computers for myself and others. I have developed and taught technical programs for community college. And I have developed and sold my own products, including writing the instruction sets.

I am the one people ask: “How does this thing work?” And I am the one people give the phone to when someone needs directions.

I work as a technical writer.

The web site clearly points people to web sites to buy.

It is nice to see Mothers at number 3.

Page
09-11-2010, 07:59 AM
THX Bunky I went to the web site a lot of great things to compare.

Bunky
09-11-2010, 09:08 AM
The fact that I actually agree with some of the various products in the review categories is interesting but the criteria for the rating in unknown. The links to sites like amazon.com to buy makes one think about the site in general. They are not like Consumer Reports (some hate them especially when their favorite product is not top rated).

TLMitchell
09-11-2010, 09:39 AM
I don`t know if anything can ever be rated as "best", it`s all about what works best for you. Gotta admit the guy has a highly regarded list of products in all catagories.

TL

black bart
09-11-2010, 10:33 AM
One thing that is never mentioned on this forum is price.
If one soap is the same as another but one cost half the money then that would be a deciding factor for me.

Nearly any car wash will clean and I don`t consider the smell that seems to be the big thing for many.

So what is left is how well does it shine after the wash.
Does it have polymers to increase the shine and how long will it last.
From what I read it seems like the smell is the deciding factor for some.

trhland
09-11-2010, 12:09 PM
ive been useing pinnacle bodywork shampoo for a few yeacdcccccrs now. its great.
theres so many that are good really . d/p adams/optimum.

Mr. Clean
09-11-2010, 01:07 PM
...the criteria for the rating in unknown...
I was wondering if I was just missing that or not. Without an established quantifiable criteria which can be applied across the board, then this is nothing more than an opinion, and there are a lot of those floating around.

I don`t know if anything can ever be rated as "best", it`s all about what works best for you. ...

TL

I agree. I think some products lend themselves to being measured against another, but car washes and APCs don`t, IMO.

One thing that is never mentioned on this forum is price.
If one soap is the same as another but one cost half the money then that would be a deciding factor for me.

Nearly any car wash will clean and I don`t consider the smell that seems to be the big thing for many.

So what is left is how well does it shine after the wash.
Does it have polymers to increase the shine and how long will it last.
From what I read it seems like the smell is the deciding factor for some.

That about sums it up for me. Car wash soap and APCs are two products that I go through quickly and need replenishing often. I have used some of the higher priced soaps and yes some of them had a feel and or a scent that was maybe a little intoxicating (Sonax Gloss always comes to mind), but they did not clean not one bit better or safer in the end than a number of the OTS wash products.

I don`t look for my car wash to alter the shine in any way. I have used some of the wash-n-wax type washes, but I just want my car wash to...well wash...wash the dirt, dust, and grime from the surface without any unduly harsh cleaners.

Yankee-Princess
09-11-2010, 11:40 PM
I <3 Optimum...I <3 O no rinse even better :D

rabbi
09-12-2010, 07:43 AM
I <3 Optimum...I <3 O no rinse even better :D

What?:passout:

Mr. Gloss
09-12-2010, 07:57 AM
The links to sites like amazon.com to buy makes one think about the site in general.

Bunky, I don`t know what you mean by that. Would you explain?

It seems that many of the detailing stores sell their products via amazon.com.

I don`t believe that it diminishes their reputation, but I see it as a means to reach out to those who may never visit a detail site and affords them the opportunity to expand their business relationships.

Emile
09-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Too many good car wash soaps out there....no such thing as the best.

trhland
09-12-2010, 10:59 AM
i can say if your looking for a shampoo with lots of lubricity very slick. id say pinnacle bodywork shampoo or lusso. these 2 are nice.. super slick..and decent foam..

Tony1
09-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Wow, Duragloss didn`t make it into the top five. I can say for sure Duragloss Car Wash is much better than Mother`s and 3M in every way. I haven`t used the others in the top five so I can`t comment on them.

Duragloss is my favorite car wash and has been for years. Very good lubricity, resists spotting very well, good balance of cleaning power but not too strong to strip your wax/sealant, leaves a nice glossy appearance. You can get it locally and in gallons.

JaredPointer
09-12-2010, 01:58 PM
I`ve used a lot of different soaps in the past few years, and while I do like the smell of some of the boutique stuff versus OTC, I really have to say I can`t see a whole lot of difference. Currently, I`m using Turtle Wax Ice shampoo (from a hint on here from another member that it was actually a nice soap) and I`d say it stands up against some of the stuff that`s 4x the price. And the old NXT soap was as good as some of the nicest most expensive soaps I have tried.

Mr. Gloss
09-12-2010, 02:49 PM
For me, the higher the dilution rate the better. I have to fight with city hall about washing my cars in my driveway or garage since it eventually drains to the storm water system.

Gold Class is one ounce per gallon. That`s 4 ounces to wash a car if you follow recommendations to use at least 4 gallons to prevent swirls and marring.

Poorboy`s World, which I haven`t ordered yet, dilutes 1/2 oz. per gallon (I think). It`s something to counter city hall`s concern about too much soap in the mix.