PDA

View Full Version : De- Badging a Truck

Beemerboy
08-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Today I had a brand new 4x4 to clean its one that I did a full detail on some weeks back...pic attacked for reference

The guy wanted all the glued on letter removed the Chevy emblem on the tail gate and the 4x4 sticker.

The letters I had off in 10 minutes using fishing line and the sea saw method...the stickers pulled off with the edge of my finger nail and lifted pretty quick

Now for the glue that was left on...mother of Jesus that was STUCK on the paint.

I used my heat gun to soften the letters part, and with a good plastic scrapper had decent results, then I used mineral spirits, WD40 and Goo Gone, all of which worked OK but took for ever to get all of it off

The biggest problem was the Chevy emblem on the tail gate...the rubber foamy glue sticker that was mounted to the gate, then the emblem is attached to that was really hard...I ended up using WD40 and the plastic scraper and my finger nail to finially get it off. All in all it took almost 2 hours start to finish...

One thing that I did learn and thank god I was watching, is that a heat gun can yellow the clear on the paint..on the tail gate I started to notice this hue around the letters so I backed off and finished cold with WD 40...after polishing with the rotary it came back out:surrender

Question who has a better method for removing the glue than what I did?

JohnHenry
08-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Dave,

I`ve had good luck with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner when debadging.

I just finished four nice vehicles that had been seized in various LE raids, then sold at auction. At my suggestion, the new owners had as many identifying marks as possible removed due to the vehicles` history.

For anyone debadging for the first time... be sure to check for alignment pins (and holes) behind the badge before removing.

Beemerboy
08-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks I need to get some 3M remover

BADLANDER
08-17-2010, 11:34 PM
http://image.sporttruck.com/f/14476341+w750+st0/0609st_10_z+toyota_tacoma+eraser_wheel.jpg

3m Eraser Wheel hands down

black bart
08-18-2010, 05:28 AM
`I have not used the eraser wheel but I have watched it being used at a local body shop and it will remove pin striping in a heart beat.

They were preparing it for a repaint and it removed the stripe fast I assume it will do the same thing for a decal.

C. Charles Hahn
08-18-2010, 08:24 AM
I totally agree with the 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner suggestion.... it`s all I use anymore.

I`ve got one of those eraser wheels and while I agree they`re slick, I still don`t like them. They make a huge mess of whatever area you`re working in.

Beemerboy
08-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks I looked at that wheel looks like something that would be useful, but a tad over kill for me, I don`t de-badge cars very often. Think I will get some 3M adhesive remover

BADLANDER
08-18-2010, 05:44 PM
for the small price of it, it pays for itself with one use, i took all the pin striping off my truck within 15min, couldn`t even tell that it was on there, if the adhesive remover isn`t working for you, definitely consider the wheel

Concours.John
09-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Totally agree on the wheel, after doing high end collision work, the only tool. 3M adhesive remover for any leftover best used with air driven angle grinder but have used cordless drill.

cheapshot
09-05-2010, 06:23 AM
3M adhesive remover works well, i have used it to strip and replace door moldings. A few plastic razorblades and you could remove anything.

sullysdetailing
09-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Can the eraser wheel mess up the clear

Tex Star Detail
09-05-2010, 08:24 PM
I will jump on with the rest of them, 3M Adhesive remover!
I have used Meguiars Body Solvent, and it is PURE JUNK!!!! (VOC Compliant crap)

BADLANDER
09-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Can the eraser wheel mess up the clear

just dont hold it in one section too long or apply too much pressure and your golden!