PDA

View Full Version : Uaw workers walk out of negotiations

Pages : [1] 2 3

black bart
08-16-2010, 06:05 PM
The UAW workers where to vote on wage concessions on Sunday at Indianapolis, Indiana
GM wants to sell their stamping plant to JD Norman but their UAW contract requires the new owner to assume the contract.
JD Norman ask the worker to vote on Sunday but they walked out of the meeting and told the local tv that was their that GM could close it they were NOT taking a wage cut.

Looks like JD Norman is not going to buy and the plant was scheduled for closing in the fall of 2011 but GM started moving machinery out today.

What the workers are counting on is when GM closes a plant they will transfer the workers to another plant.

The mayor is trying to keep it open because the city gets a million a year in taxes

C. Charles Hahn
08-16-2010, 06:31 PM
I really wish the UAW had been given the big heave-ho during GM`s bankruptcy. They`ve been a major driving force between most of the problems GM, Chrysler, and even Ford have had and are continuing to try destroying as much as they can purely out of greed.

Ronkh
08-16-2010, 07:43 PM
I really wish the UAW had been given the big heave-ho during GM`s bankruptcy. They`ve been a major driving force between most of the problems GM, Chrysler, and even Ford have had and are continuing to try destroying as much as they can purely out of greed.

:yourrock

Agreed. But it`s gonna draw flames.

Ronkh
08-16-2010, 07:44 PM
What the workers are counting on is when GM closes a plant they will transfer the workers to another plant.

I`ll bet hidden somewhere in the contract with Government Motors, they don`t have to take th etransfer and keep drawing a salary. All they have to do is go down to the union hall.

JaredPointer
08-16-2010, 08:12 PM

Very well said. :bigups

I`m sad to see this happening - especially right now. :(

C. Charles Hahn
08-16-2010, 08:46 PM
I`ll bet hidden somewhere in the contract with Government Motors, they don`t have to take th etransfer and keep drawing a salary. All they have to do is go down to the union hall.

I don`t know if there may be a provision like that in their particular local`s contract, but it`s not written that way in the national contract.

F. Laid off employees who refuse any job offer within the Area Hire Area will be placed on a formal leave of absence without Corporate-paid benefits with recall only to a job in the regular active workforce.

Protected Status employees who refuse any job offer within the Area Hire Area will be placed on lay off.

The relevant contract documents:

Appendix A (http://www.uawndm.org/library/contract/Appendix/app-a.htm)
Documents 21 - 30 (http://www.uawndm.org/library/contract/docs/doc21-30.htm)

Really makes their decision to let the plant close that much more illogical. :hmmm: :huh:

Bunky
08-17-2010, 06:10 AM
Many states do not have right to work laws so unions are always involved whether someone likes them or not. Unions are just as political as any organization (government, church) so there is an infrastructure whose sole job is to defend their existence. I am not sure every worker agrees. They still have not learned their lesson. The best strategy is to take what one can get and wait for better days.

black bart
08-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Saw on the news this morning that the workers plan on holding a protest rally at the plant today.
They are protesting GM closing of the plant.
They don`t want the plant to close but say when ask to take a wage cut NO GO AHEAD CLOSE IT.

Bunky
08-17-2010, 10:06 AM
This is about as smart as spectators standing a few feet away from vehicles racing in the desert.

JaredPointer
08-17-2010, 10:20 AM
A paycut is better than a jobcut. I really don`t understand their reasoning here - especially in light of the unemployment we`re currently facing as a whole. But then again, maybe I do understand this reasoning too....

C. Charles Hahn
08-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Many states do not have right to work laws so unions are always involved whether someone likes them or not. Unions are just as political as any organization (government, church) so there is an infrastructure whose sole job is to defend their existence. I am not sure every worker agrees. They still have not learned their lesson. The best strategy is to take what one can get and wait for better days.

Just to be clear, I`m not completely anti-union. There are some instances where unions do serve an important and positive purpose, but in the case of organizations like the UAW that are simply out to choke the resources of the corporations it depends on to supply jobs to its members, they`re hurting everyone else just as much or more than they`re hurting themselves through their actions.

Saw on the news this morning that the workers plan on holding a protest rally at the plant today.
They are protesting GM closing of the plant.
They don`t want the plant to close but say when ask to take a wage cut NO GO AHEAD CLOSE IT.

Obviously the workers there fail to understand that the early closure is largely their own fault. UAW employees have simply had it far too good for far too long; they feel entitled to get their overcompensation at all costs, regardless of what it does to the corporation they work for (actually I think many of these people think they work for the UAW and not the company whose plant they do their jobs in).

Perhaps if the UAW were to stop being run like a for-profit business and returned to its roots as a representative body working solely to uphold reasonable and healthy labor practices for its members, these attitudes would change.

Ronkh
08-17-2010, 03:54 PM

That sorta says it all.

JohnHenry
08-17-2010, 06:03 PM

Way to go, UAW! Stick it to the MAN! :confused:

Ronkh
08-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Way to go, UAW! Stick it to the MAN! :confused:

A pay cut makes for disgruntled people. EX employees don`t vote in union elections.

Unions are a self protecting entity.

JohnHenry
08-18-2010, 09:03 AM
True