PDA

View Full Version : Just for you Gearhead 2012 Boss 302 Mustang

Pages : [1] 2

black bart
08-15-2010, 01:58 AM
2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: First live photos! — Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/13/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-first-live-photos/?icid=main|verizon|dl6|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.auto blog.com%2F2010%2F08%2F13%2F2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-first-live-photos%2F)

wallyStang
08-15-2010, 05:22 AM
Ford is really building some badd$$ cars for 2011 :) I hope that car is close to 500 all motor hp!

black bart
08-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Ford is really building some badd$$ cars for 2011 :) I hope that car is close to 500 all motor hp!If you read the article you will see it is naturally aspirated and it is rated at 440 HP that sounds a little ballooned for a NA 302 but it should run better than previous NA engines.

It will be fast enough that a lot of teenagers will be killed and will kill other people with these

wallyStang
08-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Yea, I read that the regular 2011 5.0 puts down 530 to the wheels with just 6lbs of boost. I am only making 470 to the wheels in my stang, but my stang is also 400lbs lighter :). I agree that alot of young teenagers and younge adults will hurt them selves or others. def not a good first car lol.

Ronkh
08-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Thats hot

GearHead_1
08-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I`d take that for a ride. I don`t want a glass roofed Mustang, I think that was a bit of a detraction on some models. Nice to know that they don`t think race cars need to be star gazing. I think it`s awesome getting that kind of HP out of a little 5.0. Ford in years past has usually given away Cubic Inches when compared to the competition. That said, their HP numbers have also been down. You almost had to hit the after market shelves to get them into the same circles as other manufacturers. They really seemed to have turned a corner here. Thanks for the post.

black bart
08-16-2010, 04:43 AM
`The 4.6 with the Cobra Heads flow like a toilet but the engine is only 281 cubic inches and lacks low rpm torque.
The 302 will be better but I would like to have those Boss heads on a 351 small block. :D

On the street were you only go a short distance torque is king first to 60 wins and that is were torque rules.
Ford and GM are using different approach Ford is using technology and GM is using cubic inches, The GM approach sure cost them less but at some point they will need to develop a new engine.

Look what they did with the Corvette 350-366-377-427-then Supercharger.

Both designs are too much for a teen driver we have had several killed around here in the past month and all of them were Camaro and Mustangs some were single car and just failed to negotiate a curve.

You need to use some common sense a teenagers life expectancy behind the wheel of my vette would be about 10 seconds

groebuck
08-16-2010, 01:04 PM
tbh what teen can afford a new camaro of stang? I had a trailblazer ss with ls2 engine @ 398 hp and that thing was a scream to drive but I gave it up because of my lead foot lol..

it`s not so much the new car either - a cheap eagle talon tsi can be modded to 400 hp with little effort and cheap used after market parts -

i am pretty impressed they can get that much mpg from a stang v-8 highway though - i wonder if it is creative mpg again ??

black bart
08-16-2010, 05:46 PM
tbh what teen can afford a new camaro of stang? I had a trailblazer ss with ls2 engine @ 398 hp and that thing was a scream to drive but I gave it up because of my lead foot lol..

it`s not so much the new car either - a cheap eagle talon tsi can be modded to 400 hp with little effort and cheap used after market parts -

i am pretty impressed they can get that much mpg from a stang v-8 highway though - i wonder if it is creative mpg again ??

The engine in my Corvette was dynoed at 1178 HP and I have seen 33.8 MPG it is the new technology that does it.

I think I did a real good job of designing and building the current engine in it.

The multi-fire ignition adds a few MPG and I don`t know why the manufactures don`t use it but it is probably price.

All new cars are built to a price point.

wallyStang
08-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Black bart. The 4.6 4 valve motor with cobra heads do NOT flow like a toilet!!! My friend has an 04 Cobra and all he did was install a really big whipple supercharger with a i forgot the pulley size. But yea the car was puttin close to 800 to the wheels on stock heads and block.

GearHead_1
08-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Black bart. The 4.6 4 valve motor with cobra heads do NOT flow like a toilet!!! My friend has an 04 Cobra and all he did was install a really big whipple supercharger with a i forgot the pulley size. But yea the car was puttin close to 800 to the wheels on stock heads and block.

I think this was Bart`s point. The heads were respectable. I believe he meant the heads flowed well as you can put a lot down a toilet. Decent heads and a respectable bottom end. The 4.6 was a good platform to start from. The lack of cubes was it biggest problem. It needed the huffer to get some air through it. When there`s a lack of CI`s forced air is the answer.

GearHead_1
08-16-2010, 07:46 PM
The 302 will be better but I would like to have those Boss heads on a 351 small block. :D

I have a couple of sets of the original Boss heads. One set has never been run. Always thought I would put another Cleveland together but the years just keep running away. They were a mean head in their day but virtually any OTC aluminum head you buy today will flow with them and weigh half as much.

Southern stang
08-16-2010, 08:14 PM
I may be 18 but I respect anything with power and know my limits driving wise. Over 1k at the rear = :)

black bart
08-16-2010, 08:22 PM
I have a couple of sets of the original Boss heads. One set has never been run. Always thought I would put another Cleveland together but the years just keep running away. They were a mean head in their day but virtually any OTC aluminum head you buy today will flow with them and weigh half as much.`YEP the new technology will beat the old every time.
When I talk to guys at a car show I`m always amazed at how many think the cars from the 60`s are still king of the road.

They were great 50 years ago but sure don`t measure up to the high tech stuff today and don`t even mention the difference in fuel mileage.

I`m glad that people restore them but they are not even close to being what todays technology will allow you to build.

I`m a fan of the restoe rods.

I have a set of AFR 220 heads on my vette put some boost on them and they will make some serious power.

AFR has a 3\4 inch thick deck that is good for boost.

GearHead_1
08-16-2010, 08:34 PM
We are in agreement Bart.