PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Ford Explorer redesign to be revealed

Mr. Clean
07-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Monday. Not really big news. But wait. The new design will not be unveiled at a auto show, but rather online (if I have the info correct it will be via Facebook). I believe this is an industry first. Will this be the format of the future? Maybe not as the sole showcase venue, but certainly as a supplemental means of reaching the public.

JaredPointer
07-23-2010, 03:24 PM
I think this is a good step forward. It allows us "common people" to get our info as soon as the important folk.

Now if the manufacturers could move one step closer to using the internet as a sales channel so we could rid ourselves of stealerships we`d be moving right along. The worst part of buying a new car is having to muddle through all the crap at the dealerships.

Mr. Clean
07-23-2010, 03:34 PM
JP, IIRC you have the first hand experience with the purchase via internet of your Tundra and if I can count on my memory your experience was positive. I know that a number of dealerships (across the board in terms of manufacture) in this area have implemented internet sales groups. I don`t have first hand experience so I don`t know how or if that works to the consumer`s advantage as far as making the purchase experience more streamlined (or pleasant). I know that as far as new car purchases go, there is a considerable amount of information price, equipment, etc. available via the internet. Knowledge can be leveraged into power in negotiations.

black bart
07-23-2010, 04:09 PM
I saw a artist rendering of what he thought it would look like and man I hope he is wrong because it was UGLY.

I guess we will know in a few days. :surrender
Last fall I bought a new car and it was not too bad other than when they tried to sell me their $500:00 special super doper wax.:eek:

They were hell bent on selling me the wax I had to get a little more vocal with him but he got the message and dropped the pressure to sell me the wax job.

C. Charles Hahn
07-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Facebook. Must. Die. The whole "social networking" fad has gotten simply ridiculous, out of hand, and plain disgusting.

I miss the days when professional media outlets presented the news in a well edited manner.

black bart
07-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Facebook. Must. Die. The whole "social networking" fad has gotten simply ridiculous, out of hand, and plain disgusting.

I miss the days when professional media outlets presented the news in a well edited manner.We have not had a professional Media in years.
Especially when it comes to politics they have an agenda to push.

Bunky
07-23-2010, 06:47 PM

I miss the days when professional media outlets presented the news in a well edited manner.

People need to realize that Facebook is less about social networking but data mining of what used to be very private information.

Mr. Clean
07-23-2010, 07:00 PM
People need to realize that Facebook is less about social networking but data mining of what used to be very private information.

We`ve veered way off topic. But I will comment because I always get a kick out of someone who appears to be as cyber-paranoid as myself. :D I will have to disagree with your assessment on the insidious nature of FB. It can only "data mine" information that is willingly shared. I have no FB presence (and don`t think I don`t take some flack because of that :D), though I have made "appearances" on the pages of others. FB can be, and is a tool used for communication. Like any tool it can be misued and for those with addictive tendencies can become well an addiction. But then so can internet forums. ;) I don`t get the antipathy that it (FB) attracts. If you don`t like it, don`t want to join, don`t. How simple can this be? Just like any other "media" outlet don`t like the programming, change channels.

GearHead_1
07-23-2010, 07:33 PM
... I have no FB presence (and don`t think I don`t take some flack because of that :D), though I have made "appearances" on the pages of others.

I thought I was the only one, I can`t Twitter or FaceBook.

Paul Sparks
07-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Edmunds.com has some pictures posted of the new explorer and and I agree with BB. Looks butt ugly.

C. Charles Hahn
07-23-2010, 08:10 PM
If you don`t like it, don`t want to join, don`t.

Trouble is, when people have adopted it to the point where they won`t communicate with others through any other medium, it leaves very little choice. I`ve gotten to the point where I flat out tell people if they can`t call me on the phone or send an email (I don`t do text messaging either), they`d best not expect to hear from me or be able to tell me anything.

Mr. Clean
07-23-2010, 08:22 PM
I don`t text either, but some people choose to contact me that way. I prefer to pick up a phone if I want to communicate, just because I think it`s faster and I have immediate confirmation that the information has been transferred. Everyone has their own personal preference for communication methods and for disseminating information for large groups of people FB definitely has its advantages over email, phone, etc. Unless we are the person initiating the communication, we either employ their method or we are left out of the loop.

Bunky
07-23-2010, 08:35 PM
How simple can this be? Just like any other "media" outlet don`t like the programming, change channels.

I fully agree but it is an enticing entrapment. Facebook has benefits but like any enterprise (no different going to a foot ball game) there is a profit motive for the group providing the forum. I think some get suckered in and let their guard down.

Now, a realist would say they get what they should get for doing something stupid just Louisiana should not be surprised that New Orleans floods because it is below sea level or oil wells may leak if they are off shore.