PDA

View Full Version : A look inside Miracle Detail

Pages : [1] 2

mrclean81
07-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Alright, I know Ive said things in the past on this site and others about my feelings toward Paul Dalton. I dont believe much in Swissvax and I dont believe the mans wax is worth the price of it. That being said, I feel that his work is unbelievable, his marketing is top notch, and I wish I made in a year what he makes in 2 months. Ive watched tons of his videos, watched his stuff on Top Gear, etc but I had never seen these videos and found them pretty interesting.

YouTube - 3M meets Paul Dalton of Miracle Detail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkyQyjUAJYM)
YouTube - Miracle Detail shows 3M what detailing is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsWyiHEhUjk&NR=1)

C. Charles Hahn
07-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Watched his stuff on Top Gear?

Since when? I`ve watched every episode of New Top Gear there is and never once seen him on there.... or are you saying he details all the cars for them?

mrclean81
07-23-2010, 06:21 PM
He made some appearances on there a few years ago. I dont have Speed anymore so I never get to watch it. Im pretty sure those clips are floating around youtube somewhere too. It was nothing really mind blowing...just short interviews and some shots of him doing his thing.

C. Charles Hahn
07-23-2010, 08:05 PM
He made some appearances on there a few years ago. I dont have Speed anymore so I never get to watch it. Im pretty sure those clips are floating around youtube somewhere too. It was nothing really mind blowing...just short interviews and some shots of him doing his thing.

Sounds like the "Top Gear" you`re referring to is different than the one I`m thinking of. Do you mean the show with these British blokes?

http://img.motorpasion.com/2009/05/topgear460-795361.jpg

mrclean81
07-23-2010, 08:10 PM
I`m pretty sure we are talking about the same show, but there again its been a long time, I`ve watched a lot of tv since, and could have the shows mixed up. Wouldn`t be the first time I`ve been mistaken.

Pander5
07-24-2010, 12:35 AM
"Fifth Gear" (another British show) did a piece on Paul a few years ago.

mrclean81
07-24-2010, 01:05 AM
"Fifth Gear" (another British show) did a piece on Paul a few years ago.

I bet that`s it. Sorry about the confusion.

black bart
07-24-2010, 06:32 AM
People who pay him that kind of money for a detail have more money than brains.

We all know that their are hundreds of people that can do a detail that is just as good for a fraction of the price.

As for Mr. Dalton power to him he has found a way to market himself and make a lot of money. :bigups

Beemerboy
07-24-2010, 10:35 AM
People who pay him that kind of money for a detail have more money than brains.

We all know that their are hundreds of people that can do a detail that is just as good for a fraction of the price.

As for Mr. Dalton power to him he has found a way to market himself and make a lot of money. :bigups

I agree with ya BB, there are tons of great detailers that can do as good a work at much less. This guy has found a nitch and good for him.

mrclean81
07-24-2010, 03:56 PM
I found his price list a while back, and while he`s known for his outrageous prices, some of his work is not much higher than what some members here would charge. I agree that most of his procedures are no differant than ours, which I believe says something about DC members as well. Quality work is quality work no matter what. If Paul Dalton is able to charge $1200 and a guy working out of his garage at home charges $250, that doesnt mean one is better than the other. It just goes to show that good marketing, a wealthy customer base, and being in the right region of the world makes the differance between 1200 and 250.
Heres that price list I found.
Miracle Detail - Car detailing - Paintwork Correction (http://www.miracledetail.co.uk/treatments-and-applications.html)

Premiere Auto
07-24-2010, 06:04 PM
I`m a big numbers guy...take a look at this based on current british pound exchange rate of .6478 pounds per 1 USD:

Ultimate detail @ 1500#: $2315.00 USD @ 32 Hours yields: $72 per hour
Connoisseur @ 525# : $810.00 USD @ 16 Hours yields $50.00 per hour
Premier @ 375# : $579.00 USD @ 6 hours yields $96 per hour
Mini Detail @ 225# : $347.00 USD @ 3 hours yields $115 per hour

trhland
07-24-2010, 06:23 PM
I`m a big numbers guy...take a look at this based on current british pound exchange rate of .6478 pounds per 1 USD:

Ultimate detail @ 1500#: $2315.00 USD @ 32 Hours yields: $72 per hour
Connoisseur @ 525# : $810.00 USD @ 16 Hours yields $50.00 per hour
Premier @ 375# : $579.00 USD @ 6 hours yields $96 per hour
Mini Detail @ 225# : $347.00 USD @ 3 hours yields $115 per hour

the mini detail isnt bad...

C. Charles Hahn
07-24-2010, 10:15 PM
the mini detail isnt bad...

Yeah until you realize it includes about the same amount of work most of us would charge around $120 to do....:yikes:

The majority of Dalton`s price is due to the cost of his marketing and the fancy toys/tools he uses. I bet he could get just about the same results without the little microscope camera for his laptop and the ultra-expensive PTG, for one thing. And if he weren`t using a high dollar Snap On tool chest to store his waxes/etc.

mrclean81
07-24-2010, 10:30 PM
If he`s making 50 and 70 bucks per hour on some of these details, thats not all that bad. I know guys here in the midwest that charge 75 per hour. Only differance is Dalton stays busy and those guys are broke lmao. I really dont understand the hostility toward him. Its been that way for years though and prob always will be. He definatly overcharges, but if people are willing to pay that much to have their ego stroked and want to feel like they are getting something exclusive, then thats great. I didnt post these videos to start a flame war on the man. Im in no way a Paul Dalton freak or someone who looks to his procedures to find out what detailing is. I just found them to be differant than what I normally see about him, and thought it was cool that most of his equipment and products (except the swissvax stuff) is things that alot of us use or discuss such as Zaino and 3M. I wouldnt mind having his toolbox either :)

Bunky
07-25-2010, 05:51 AM
He is charging what he is charging because he can. That is the free market system. Is those designer sunglasses, jeans, handbags, etc. really that much better?

It is no different in many service industries. The cost charged does not always relate the quality of the work.