PDA

View Full Version : Need some help setting up

mrclean81
07-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Im in the early stages of buying a cargo van through the dealership I work for and plan to set up a great mobile rig with it. I have my choices of about 30 differant ones ranging from Astros to extended Chevys. If I wanted I could even get a Gruman Olson step van (which would be sweet...but no). Anyway, after a long search on DC, Im just not finding the answers Im looking for. First question is how big does my water tank need to be. Im NOT high volume and never will be. I do one car a day. My guess was between 55 and 90 gal. Next question, do I need a water pump to transfer water from the tank to the power washer? My guess is yes, but Ive been told that I dont and now Im confused lol. Third question, how big does my generator need to be? I`ll be running an 1800 psi electric power washer, small air compressor, 6.5 hp shop vac, steamer and extractor, not to mention the rotary and polisher. I dont have the exact amps and watts of all this stuff yet, as some of it is at home and some at work. Im really just looking for a ballpark guess as to what to start pricing. Any info is greatly appreciated.

tuscarora dave
07-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Most people I talk to say no to the pump that gravity will work just fine. I`ll be setting mine up here in a few weeks and intend to start out with a 55 gallon plastic drum turned on it`s side. @ 4GPM that gives ma about 13 1 minute shots of pressurized water.

Remember that you will not be using all of your electric tools at the same time but I would calculate your amp draw rating to include your lights combined with one of your other tools with the highest amp draw and leave a few amps for growth. In other words if your lights and your pressure washer combined draws 17 amps then choose a generator that will run continuously under a 20 amp draw.

I copied this out of a thread over at AG to keep for my own use later, check it out.

gumbedamit AutoGeekOnline

Re: Mobile guys van setups???
I use a full length 2002 Econoline 250 w/200 amp alternator. My rig is completely electric. I have a bank of batteries under the truck with a custom welded rack. I have a total of 500ah of power and a 5000 watt/50 amp inverter. The pressure washer draws the most juice, but I don`t ever have to start my truck after a full day of washing, 15-20 vehicles.
2-9X9 Canopies
4-125ah deep cycle batteries
Northstar 2000psi pressure washer
300 gallon water tank
AIMS 5000 watt power inverter
Generic water pump to feed the pressure washer
This is the heart of my system, it`s quiet, no need to carry any gas and NO POLUTION!
As far as your detailing equipment, that`s up to you. I don`t think the cost of setting it up this way was too much off from a traditional gas setup, but there is something to be said when you don`t have to run a generator for extended periods of time.

Bunky
07-20-2010, 10:24 AM
The battery / inverter approach seems to be the best for self-sufficiency and least added noise (no generator).

shuddleston
07-20-2010, 03:55 PM
I wasn`t succesfull running my tank from gravity. I had to purchase a small water pump in order for the power washer to work. The cheaper power washers might work ok that don`t require alot of GPM.

mrclean81
07-20-2010, 04:10 PM
The one I`m looking at is 1.4 gpm. I don`t want to use a gas powered one for 2 reasons. I don`t want to hear it run and I don`t want to buy gas for it all the time. I found a Snap On electric powered one that was 2000 psi but it was a little on the expensive side. If I do need a pump, any suggestions on one?

shuddleston
07-20-2010, 04:19 PM
You might be able to get away with the gravity flow with that one then. I just bought a cheap pump at Home Depot don`t even remember the name.

To be honest with you I went through all the trouble going mobile tank, power washer, generator and then didn`t even end up using it. I use the customers water and power supply and have never had any issues. If I was to be doing jobs in a parking lot, etc then I see the need to have my own water supply.

They don`t seem to mind about me using their water/power, etc. Heck I have had first time customers that will leave the house open for me and take off for awhile while I am there detailing.

Tex Star Detail
07-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Gravity feed has worked for me with 3 pressure washers. I had the problem when I first started with the PW not sucking the water, but found my shut off valve was too small, thus I bought a new ball valve.

If you are using an electric PW and it won`t suck water from the tank, then you will have to run your generator to run the pump. Sort of a waste?

Generator: You will need just as big as the biggest equipment you are running. Surely you won`t be running it all at the same time, right?
Here is how to determine what size you will need:
Honda Power Equipment - Honda Generators - How much power do I need? (http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/generators/content.aspx?asset=gg_howmuchpower)
It`s from the HONDA site, but it helped me understand a lot about picking a generator.

And for a van, well, get what suits you. I WANT a full size van, but I have a Safari Cargo Van and an Astro Cargo Van. It is just the right size, good on gas, gets into tight spots, and the motor seems bullet proof.....

mrclean81
07-20-2010, 09:27 PM
To be honest with you I went through all the trouble going mobile tank, power washer, generator and then didn`t even end up using it. I use the customers water and power supply and have never had any issues. If I was to be doing jobs in a parking lot, etc then I see the need to have my own water supply.

This is how im operating right now on weekends and its always worked out. This is yet another route Ive thought about. I would save alot of money and space for sure.

Ive looked at the Astros we have many times. There are a few that are lower mileage and in good shape, but space has concerned me. If I wasnt going to run a water tank and generator I would have plenty of room though. This might actually be the direction I go.

sullysdetailing
07-29-2010, 11:20 AM
I have the same question. I am in the process of getting a tank and pressure washer but I do not know if I need a pump or not. What pressure washer do you guys recommend? Where did you guys buy your tanks?