PDA

View Full Version : Pavers vs Blacktop

JSFM35X
07-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I know this belongs in the "Way off Topic forum"
I need to re-do my driveway. I was thinking about black-top and pavers. The existing blacktop is shot. I love the look of pavers but i am concerned about the staining from run off of the wheels when I clean them and staining from applying tire shiner (I always get a good amount on the drioveway).

Anyone with any experience I would appreciate the feed back. I do plan on sealing the pavers if I go that direction.

Thanks as always for your advise,

Jeff

Poorboy
07-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I know this belongs in the "Way off Topic forum"
I need to re-do my driveway. I was thinking about black-top and pavers. The existing blacktop is shot. I love the look of pavers but i am concerned about the staining from run off of the wheels when I clean them and staining from applying tire shiner (I always get a good amount on the drioveway).

Anyone with any experience I would appreciate the feed back. I do plan on sealing the pavers if I go that direction.

Thanks as always for your advise,

Jeff

I can`t give you an answer her but a few thoughts Jeff ... with our winters if you go with pavers , they better be the very best ... snow plows can do a number on them ... if you go with them, do your wheels and tires in the street it will save you a lot of headaches and worry. As nice as they look, I still use black top and just redo every 5-10 years

MDerleth
07-18-2010, 12:17 PM
I have a large paver patio and love it compared to the normal wood alternative. I also have a 5 year old cement driveway that I sealed with a commercial quality sealant from a concrete store at 30 days and again at 2 years....it shows no staining from car chemicals or anything else that`s spilled on it. I suspect you would get good stain resistance with well-sealed pavers.

For a driveway with much heavier loads, preparation of the sub-base is critical. If you skimp on depth of gravel or compacting, big ruts could develop and ruin the job. At least you can pull up the pavers and re-do, although that`s a major production.

I notice you`re also in Long Island. Consider snow removal...blacktop easy. Uneven surface of pavers could be a major winter pain in the ....

njcarting1
07-18-2010, 12:44 PM
I have a large paver patio and love it compared to the normal wood alternative. I also have a 5 year old cement driveway that I sealed with a commercial quality sealant from a concrete store at 30 days and again at 2 years....it shows no staining from car chemicals or anything else that`s spilled on it. I suspect you would get good stain resistance with well-sealed pavers.

For a driveway with much heavier loads, preparation of the sub-base is critical. If you skimp on depth of gravel or compacting, big ruts could develop and ruin the job. At least you can pull up the pavers and re-do, although that`s a major production.

I notice you`re also in Long Island. Consider snow removal...blacktop easy. Uneven surface of pavers could be a major winter pain in the ....

:bigups:bigups.....:cheers: :cheers:

Reddwarf
07-18-2010, 02:32 PM
While not one of the options you gave, how about stamped concrete? You get the simple concrete but the look of pavers.

JSFM35X
07-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I can`t give you an answer her but a few thoughts Jeff ... with our winters if you go with pavers , they better be the very best ... snow plows can do a number on them ... if you go with them, do your wheels and tires in the street it will save you a lot of headaches and worry. As nice as they look, I still use black top and just redo every 5-10 years

As far as the best, I am considering the Cambridge. is there better? My driveway gets cleared with a snow blower and shovel so snow plows are not a factor. Deciding between a crushed concrete base and a poured concrete base for a few extra bucks b/c i am close the the water and on filled in ground. The person doing the work did a house in the neighborhood 5 years ago and he is on the water. Everything is level and tight. This guy does not wash his cars at all.

Ronkh
07-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Besides the problems listed above with pavers.......

You also may want to consider the damage caused by salt/ice removers. Even if you don`t use em, they state/city/town does. This wll be dripped on the pavers from your vehicle.

I have a "paver" wall and walk way and stairs. They show signs of cracking and breaking from salt.

Even the ones that say they are resistant to salt....... (they`re not)

Poorboy
07-19-2010, 09:11 AM
As far as the best, I am considering the Cambridge. is there better? My driveway gets cleared with a snow blower and shovel so snow plows are not a factor. Deciding between a crushed concrete base and a poured concrete base for a few extra bucks b/c i am close the the water and on filled in ground. The person doing the work did a house in the neighborhood 5 years ago and he is on the water. Everything is level and tight. This guy does not wash his cars at all.

they are good pavers I hear, but it still will be a PITA with a blower in the winter ... I like the idea above about concrete :hmmm: I`ve thought about that myself :idea

BADLANDER
07-20-2010, 07:32 PM
While not one of the options you gave, how about stamped concrete? You get the simple concrete but the look of pavers.

this
:bigups