PDA

View Full Version : Rustoleum rust reformer

black bart
07-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Anyone have experience with this product ?????
The underside of my 18 year old Explorer was not looking so good.

I wire brushed it and sprayed it with Rust reformer and it looks pretty good but I was wondering about durability.

After a few days too dry I topped it with Rust Oleum Satin Black I did the differential and suspension and related parts including the frame.

The body has rustproofing but this fall I plan on redoing it also.

I don`t know if this will last but it sure made the vehicle look better but I seriously doubt that the average Joe 6 pack would notice.

mrclean81
07-17-2010, 08:46 PM
I`m a firm believer in keeping the frame and undercarriage painted or undercoated. I`ve used the satin black you mentioned and it does last longer than say Krylon. What I use on the trucks at work, and on my own vehicals, is Penray undercoating. It sprays very smooth compared to others, lasts years, and also sprays semi gloss black so there is no need to paint it. It comes with a straw like WD-40 and that will really cut back on runs or clumps. I love the stuff. As far as I know, Auto Tire & Parts is the only place that carries it but I could be wrong.

TLMitchell
07-17-2010, 10:28 PM
I wire brushed it and sprayed it with Rust reformer and it looks pretty good but I was wondering about durability.

I`ll be watching for your reviews on the Rustoleum product. Izzat an OTC product? Someone undercoated the frame on my truck before I got it and it must not have been prepped too well. The undercoating is scabbing off to reveal bright-colored surface rust.

What I use on the trucks at work, and on my own vehicals, is Penray undercoating. It sprays very smooth compared to others, lasts years, and also sprays semi gloss black so there is no need to paint it. It comes with a straw like WD-40 and that will really cut back on runs or clumps. I love the stuff. As far as I know, Auto Tire & Parts is the only place that carries it but I could be wrong.

Just Googled it and NAPA was one of the first places that popped up. Gonna have to give that stuff a look-see too.

TL

black bart
07-18-2010, 06:42 AM
When I had my Ranger pickup rustproofed they sprayed the frame and everything and while it has held up for 6 years I prefer to have a smooth satan black instead of the textured finish.

On my Explorer I will have the rubberized coating on the under-body but the frame and axles will be a smooth satan black finnish.

I apply new undercoating every year to any place that looks like it is thin and needs some attention.

When I bought the Rust Reformer at Wally World I also got several cans of 3M undercoating.

I have not used the 3M before but all other 3M products have always been good so I bought this stuff because of past experience with 3M products.