PDA

View Full Version : The Overspray From Hell Finished

Pages : [1] 2

Beemerboy
07-06-2010, 10:02 AM
I did the OS removal on Saturday and polishing on Sunday. I started with a quick wash of just the OS areas, it was all down the one side and tail gate and bumpers. I tried clay to start hoping that would do it but NO!

So I broke out the acetone (MC I couldn`t find Prep-Sol at the place I went to, but thanks for the suggestion) It took some time to remove the OS, the method was to soak a wash towel let the set on an area for about one minute then with another towel with more acetone on it wipe the area, worked like a charm! It took me about 4 hours to get all the OS off, on the bottom where it was caked on I used lacquer thinner and that removed it fast. The frame has a dusting so I told the owner to take to a car wash spray the frame down then paint it black with rattle can paint.

In the polishing stage I used a edge green pad, light cut, Presta mild cut creme polish, and worked the entire truck over, then orbital with a polishing LC pad and SSR1, that brought the finish back to near perfect. Then I took out some black hole and ran that on the orbital with a finishing pad and ended with EX-P by hand
Plastics where dressed with PB TR and a P&S product called bumper coat, I polished the rims by hand they came out OK but they really need machine polishing. The owner wasn`t concerned with the rims as much as getting the OS off the painted parts.

I took the befores after washing the area off, then some of what the paint looked like once I got the OS off then the finished truck.

Gus-Gus
07-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Nice job.. but i still say you shoulda just ran over another can on the other side ;)

Stephan
07-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Dave,

Looks great fantastic work removing that overspray. Did you use the Presta with an orbital? I only ask because I like presta but have found it difficult with my PC.

:bigups

Beemerboy
07-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Dave,

Looks great fantastic work removing that overspray. Did you use the Presta with an orbital? I only ask because I like presta but have found it difficult with my PC.

:bigups

Thanks Stephan, Presta is for rotary only IMO you need heat and the orbital doesn`t create enough.

black bart
07-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Dave thanks for posting a follow-up I was thinking about you last night and wondering how you made out with this job.

Looks like it turned out well the customer should be very happy.
Not everyone could have done this job.

I was a little reluctant to suggest acetone because if left on too long it will soften the clear coat, glad to hear it went well.

GOOD JOB :rockon :bigups :bigups

Beemerboy
07-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Dave thanks for posting a follow-up I was thinking about you last night and wondering how you made out with this job.

Looks like it turned out well the customer should be very happy.
Not everyone could have done this job.

I was a little reluctant to suggest acetone because if left on too long it will soften the clear coat, glad to hear it went well.

GOOD JOB :rockon :bigups :bigups

BB thanks

I had a bucket of soapy water with me, so after I removed one section I would wash it right away..it was more time consuming than anything but it all came out.

One thing that I did notice is that you have to work something like this in the cooler parts of the day. I noticed two spots that I had missed, and went after it late in the afternoon when the paint was hot...that looked like it was going to remove the clear...it got very soft fast...so I stopped and polished those areas with SSR1

black bart
07-06-2010, 11:16 AM
BB thanks

I had a bucket of soapy water with me, so after I removed one section I would wash it right away..it was more time consuming than anything but it all came out.

One thing that I did notice is that you have to work something like this in the cooler parts of the day. I noticed two spots that I had missed, and went after it late in the afternoon when the paint was hot...that looked like it was going to remove the clear...it got very soft fast...so I stopped and polished those areas with SSR1Like I said not everyone could have done that job without screwing it up.

The owner probably does not know how lucky he was to get you.

Some would suggest sanding off and repaint that means $$$$$$$$

Beemerboy
07-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Like I said not everyone could have done that job without screwing it up.

The owner probably does not know how lucky he was to get you.

Some would suggest sanding off and repaint that means $$$$$$$$

I agree I can`t think of one detail shop in this area that would have someone on hand that could remove OS like this. This has been on the truck for over two months.

I will also say that he paid dearly for this

black bart
07-06-2010, 11:41 AM
That is good that you made a good wage for doing that and good for him to not have to pay for a repaint so it was a win for everyone.

Ronkh
07-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Wow, great turn around.......
Acetone?!?!?!?! More guts than me Sir.

Poorboy
07-06-2010, 12:47 PM
playing with acetone is like sex with a 400 lb woman can be tricky and deadly :rofl

nice job :cool:

Ronkh
07-06-2010, 01:40 PM
playing with acetone is like sex with a 400 lb woman can be tricky and deadly :rofl

:lol2: :yay :crazy:

And you wouldn`t want any of your friends see ya do it......... :rofl

mrclean81
07-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Very nice work. Glad to hear Spirits did the trick. I get stuck with jobs like this regularly and its never fun or compleatly safe. Sometimes you`ve just gotta get the big guns out and play rough then hope for the best. Good job man.

JaredPointer
07-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks Stephan, Presta is for rotary only IMO you need heat and the orbital doesn`t create enough.

:wall:wall:wall:wall

black bart
07-06-2010, 02:36 PM
sex with a 400 lb woman can be tricky and deadly :rofl

Is this the voice of experience