PDA

View Full Version : Did a little fishing last night

Pages : [1] 2

tuscarora dave
07-05-2010, 04:33 PM
A good friend called yesterday and said he just got a fishing boat and invited me to take it out for a night of river fishing. Being a spur of the moment type of guy I ran out and got a fishing license and off we went. This was the first time I have fished from a boat in over 10 years. We only caught a few fish but had a great time so I thought I would share a few pics here on DC.

The beautiful Susquehanna River as seen from Goldsboro PA.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/019-9.jpg

Notice the steam coming from behind the tree line in the pic below.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/018-7.jpg

The lovely Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Plant. For those of you who aren`t familiar with Three Mile Island, it is the nuclear power plant that had a reactor meltdown in the late 70`s nearly creating a "China Symdrome" nuclear disaster. This is why there is steam coming from only 2 of the 4 reactor cooling towers. Dispite popular belief, neither the fish or the people in this area glow in the dark.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/038-3.jpg

A few more of these babies and we could have had a "Pennsylvania Lobster Roll" (Ron) lol.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/042-2.jpg

My friend Mike got the award for the smallest and last fish caught. I wasn`t too sure which was bigger the rock bass or the "Rebel Cray Fish" that Mike caught it with!!

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/051-3.jpg

I got the award for the first fish caught (a 10" small mouth bass not pictured) and the largest fish caught. This healthy channel cat gave up a nice fight. Notice the hat hanging from the pole. Yes I found my Gilligan Hat just in time for Detail Weekend, though fishing was the intended purpose of the hat.I hope you enjoyed the pics, thanks for looking

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/044-3.jpg

Mr. Clean
07-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Looks like a good time, TD! Yes, I do remember the 3 Mile Island "event". Though the years have clouded the memory banks which stored the specifics it was quite a scare at the time.

While I love to eat catfish, and they are fun to catch occasionally I prefer to let someone else clean and filet them. My last years catching primarily trout (by fly of course :)) really ruined me on fish cleaning.

tuscarora dave
07-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Looks like a good time, TD! Yes, I do remember the 3 Mile Island "event". Though the years have clouded the memory banks which stored the specifics it was quite a scare at the time.

While I love to eat catfish, and they are fun to catch occasionally I prefer to let someone else clean and filet them. My last years catching primarily trout (by fly of course :)) really ruined me on fish cleaning.

When I want to eat fish I go to Long John Silver`s. lol. I am a catch and release kind of guy. While the fish around TMI do not glow in the dark, I wouldn`t feel too comfortable in eating any of them.

Mr. Clean
07-05-2010, 05:24 PM
The fly shop owner that outfits me and gives me fishing reports has pretty much convinced to of the way of catch and release. I can do it only because there is usually a group in camp that doesn`t subscribe to that approach so I still get to eat my share of fresh river trout.

While back home, we have quite a few good catfish eateries as well as a few other fresh seafood outlets.

I sure don`t blame you for not eating fish out of those waters; especially the catfish.

Poorboy
07-05-2010, 06:24 PM
nice fishin` Dave ... :rockon

Ronkh
07-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I remember the stores had to throw out milk after the melt down. And Carter came to visit to calm fears..............

As far as the lobster rolls, we`re gonna need a few hundred of them suckers to make a lobster roll for you and me.

You gonna make blackend cat fish with that thing?

tmacsad
07-06-2010, 04:35 PM
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/044-3.jpg

Nice catch Dave :bigups That`s a BIGGIN :inspector:

Tex Star Detail
07-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Awesome. I did some fishing as well. No pics. :( I`m in Missouri right now. Came up for a camping and fishing trip with my 2 Boys. (Parents live up here) Went to State Park with a Spring for Trout fishing. I caught the smallest and biggest trout. It was a good 15-16 inches. (unofficial of course)

:)

Mr. Clean
07-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Awesome. I did some fishing as well. No pics. :( I`m in Missouri right now. Came up for a camping and fishing trip with my 2 Boys. (Parents live up here) Went to State Park with a Spring for Trout fishing. I caught the smallest and biggest trout. It was a good 15-16 inches. (unofficial of course)

:)

As I have already said...trout...rainbow, cut-bow, cut-throut, brown, brookie.......delicious eating. 15" is a big trout. Course, without certification....;)

tuscarora dave
07-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Nice catch Dave :bigups That`s a BIGGIN :inspector:

Thanks, in these parts this is the beginning stages of BIGGIN! The biggest channel cat I have caught here was nearly twice the size of this one. Something like that is a rare catch but they are out there. My guess would be that Jared Pointer catches the BIGGINS out there in the swamps of Louisianna. Oops I mean Alabama.

Mr. Clean
07-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks, in these parts this is the beginning stages of BIGGIN! The biggest channel cat I have caught here was nearly twice the size of this one. Something like that is a rare catch but they are out there. My guess would be that Jared Pointer catches the BIGGINS out there in the swamps of Louisianna. Oops I mean Alabama.

JMO, but that size catfish is preferrable to something larger if your intent is to eat the catch. But yeah, we have lots of big cats pulled out of area lakes around here.

JaredPointer
07-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Haha - I have caught some big cats in my day, although that`s generally not my main target anymore. And contrary to popular belief, the big ones can be pretty tasty to eat. Cut up into nuggets and fried they are pretty good. But for filets and/or the traditional whole catfish like you`d get on a plate at a restaurant, you probably do want something smaller (and likely pond raised).

Wow - I`m just thinking of the thread I could start about all the different types of meat I`ve eaten/cooked that I`ve caught/bagged that a lot of people would think is really weird. :)

tuscarora dave
07-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Haha - I have caught some big cats in my day, although that`s generally not my main target anymore. And contrary to popular belief, the big ones can be pretty tasty to eat. Cut up into nuggets and fried they are pretty good. But for filets and/or the traditional whole catfish like you`d get on a plate at a restaurant, you probably do want something smaller (and likely pond raised).

Wow - I`m just thinking of the thread I could start about all the different types of meat I`ve eaten/cooked that I`ve caught/bagged that a lot of people would think is really weird. :)

Go for it!!! I would love to read all about it!!

Mr. Clean
07-07-2010, 10:53 AM
...Wow - I`m just thinking of the thread I could start about all the different types of meat I`ve eaten/cooked that I`ve caught/bagged that a lot of people would think is really weird. :)

Go for it!!! I would love to read all about it!!

I`m with TD!

JohnHenry
07-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Armadillo, the other white meat.