PDA

View Full Version : Circles or straight lines??

njcarting1
06-22-2010, 06:43 AM
If you’re using a non-abrasive product with a high quality, clean, soft foam applicator pad, and you’re working on a clean surface, then it shouldn`t’t matter which direction you move the applicator pad over the finish because nothing you’re using will be instilling any scratches or swirls into the finish.

Let the panel be your guide
The above being true, then some panels lend themselves better to straight line motions, while other panels lend themselves better to circular motions.

Examples:

Circular Motions
Most people find it’s easier to apply products in circular motions to large panels like the hood of a car. The reason for this is because circular motions act to help you spread your product out over large areas for more even, and thorough coverage. Some people also feel that circular motions help you to better work products into the finish. One thing for sure, moving your applicator pad in a circular motion tends to feel natural, and appears to come natural to most people. (Hand a wax applicator to 10 people and ask them to apply some wax to the hood of a car and stand back and watch how they apply the wax).

Straight Line Motions
Without good technique, applying products using straight-line motions is more difficult on larger panels. Straight-line motions are just as easy to use as circular motions, (and sometimes easier), on small panels and panels or sections that are longer in one direction while narrow in the other direction. Some times the panel itself will determine which direction you will apply your product.

An example would be the painted pillar on the side of the windshield on my Blazer.

Common sense tells you, (as well as the actual application of a product), that it will be easier and more efficient to use straight-line motions versus circular motions to apply a polish or wax to this thin, narrow painted section, than it will be to use circular motions.

The key thing to remember is this,

If you’re applying non-abrasive products, i.e. products that do not scratch or scour the finish, and your applying them with a soft, clean applicator and using good technique, then you should not be instilling any scratches or swirls no matter what direction you’re moving your hand.

Hope this helps…

WOW YET ANOTHER TIPIC THAT SEEMS TO BE ON EVERYONES MIND :inspector::wall:howdy

Bunky
06-22-2010, 10:26 AM
I actually found using straight lines or more what I have seen called the Z-W method (a way of criss-crossing a panel to get even coverage) seems to be easiest for me.

It should be less since there less friction because once you break the static friction you have momentum. It is harder to maintain the momentum in a circular pattern.