PDA

View Full Version : interior glass keeps hazing up - advice?

DR1665
06-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Howdy,

I`ve got a 92 Mitsubishi with a mix of original and aftermarket glass in it. Unfortunately, it`s got a crap, synthetic paint job on it from a previous owner, so it doesn`t get a lot of love externally, but I like to keep the inside looking nice. I`ve got one continually damning problem though. No matter what I do, all the glass gets a greasy haze to it within about three days of a cleaning.

I`ve tried:
- Windex
- Neutron Glass Genie
- straight water
- paper towels (blue, white, quilted)
- microfiber towels
- newspaper

No matter what, inside of three days, it`s cloudy and I hate it. For a time, I chalked it up to my being a smoker, but I haven`t had a smoke since early April and it`s come back at least a dozen times since then.

Could it be the adhesives in the dash/trim breaking down in the Arizona heat? (I have a meat thermometer stuck in the center vents which reads 170*+ when parked in the sun.) Could it be the ArmorAll vaporizing or something? It seems particularly bad after the car has sat in the sun for a couple days.

Any advice? I`m one of those guys who hates fingerprints, smudges, or otherwise filthy glass and this is driving me nuts! Thanks.

Attached: a couple shots of the interior on a recent cleaning (pre-vacuum, crappy cell phone pics when viewed full-res).

Poorboy
06-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Howdy,

Could it be the ArmorAll vaporizing or something?

I think you answered your own question :notme:

DR1665
06-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I think you answered your own question :notme:

Really? Damn.

Okay, topic shift! Best products to:

A) remove ArmorAll from dash and hard surfaces
B) protect from brutal UV damage

Thanks!

Pockets
06-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Really? Damn.

Thanks!

An APC wipe down (diluted with a cotton terry towel) than some natural look no more greasy or cloudy windows :yay

Poorboy
06-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Really? Damn.

Thanks!

first make sure you work on the dash in the shade and when it`s cool, ok i know it hardly gets cool this time of year :mad:

clean it with a diluted APC ... then I would use Natural Look or Leather Stuff, you might be able to find something like 303 locally.

Pockets
06-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Haha we are thinking alike (but I beat you :rofl) :cheers:

Poorboy
06-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Haha we are thinking alike (but I beat you :rofl) :cheers:

I had a phone call in the middle of my thoughts :stick

Dtrick.22
06-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Since you were a smoker you might want to switch out your cabin filter. I also know a company named Clean Air and IZ Einsett make a cleaner that goes into your air vents in the car to clean the odors out and the source that may be making the film. You can get that stuff through AutoGeek if you search by brand.

JaredPointer
06-21-2010, 08:23 PM

Thanks!

I`d either go with 303 Aerospace Protectant or buy you some sort of visors to keep up when you`re not driving it. Preferably both.

DR1665
06-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks for input, everyone. I`ll see about picking up some APC and try to find something like the 303 locally. If I can live with the haze for a couple more weeks, the rally car will be out of the garage long enough that I can park the daily in the shade for a proper cool down and some better interior love.

Don`t think the car has a cabin air filter. I`ve never - in almost 14 years of working on these cars - heard anyone even mention such a thing. All the same, it might be a good idea to pull the dash and clean out the vents. I know there`s a couple spots where some additional TLC would make a world of difference.

Again, thank you.