PDA

View Full Version : Good Deal??

Pages : [1] 2

DT08
06-02-2010, 01:07 PM
What`s up people? I`ve been saving my money from detailing and was hoping to buy a trailer next year. Well, my uncle has a Chevy Astro Cargo Van that he is selling for a $100. My father who is a mechanic has done all the work on the van. My uncle just needs to get it out of his drive way. The van is solid and when I looked at it my mind started running with all the things I could do with it.

What do you guys prefer using.......van, truck or trailer?

Thanks!!!:)

Beemerboy
06-02-2010, 01:22 PM
For a 100 bucks you can`t go wrong

Mindflux
06-02-2010, 01:26 PM

Agreed. Worst case you abandon the project and sell it and make your cash back (or more)

:lol2:

JaredPointer
06-02-2010, 01:30 PM
You could always buy it and fix it up like the A-team van...

Tex Star Detail
06-02-2010, 01:48 PM
What year is the van? Heck, for $100, you can scrap it and make your $ back.
Here is a thread, since you asked about Vans, Trucks, and Trailers....
http://www.detailcity.org/forums/detail-city-opinion-polls/25669-van-truck-trailer.html

Astro/Safari vans are notorious for intake manifold leaks and fuel pressure regulator leaks. I just replaced the whole top and front half of my engine.

Reddwarf
06-02-2010, 07:26 PM

That`s what I was thinking. Hell, I`ll buy it for 100 bucks!

riverbait
06-02-2010, 09:59 PM
I might initially be concerned. But once I see the quality of your work, I won`t care.

tuscarora dave
06-03-2010, 12:05 AM
That story sounds familiar, Check this link out. The owner of this van too just needed to get it out of her driveway as the township was threatening to fine her.
http://www.detailcity.org/forums/off-topic-forum/27683-pics-my-500-gmc-safari-van.html

Jodaddy
06-03-2010, 12:59 AM
100$ Ill take it out to the desert and jump it! then when she dies ill shoot her, then were she dies is where she lies.

DT08
06-03-2010, 05:09 AM
@Tex Star Detail: It`s a 97 with 115,000 miles. My uncle`s old lady started complaining about there being too many cars in the drive way and that van wasn`t being driven so it has to go. Thanks for the link to that thread.

@Tuscarora Dave: Do you still have the van now?

tuscarora dave
06-03-2010, 07:18 AM
@Tuscarora Dave: Do you still have the van now?

Yes I do still have the van though I am not using it yet. I just took it for a short drive last night. I replaced the fuel pump to get it running and out of her driveway then I took it for a 400 mile drive to get the bugs out of it and get a feel for what it may need.

It leaked exhaust at the manifolds so I replaced the front half of the exhaust and had to cut off and drill out the exhaust manifold studs to get the job finished. I replaced the distributor cap, rotor and spark plugs. Replaced a few light bulbs and the windshield wiper motor. I now need to install a new oxygen sensor and re check the plug wires for fit because it seems to be only running on 5 cylinders. After I do these few things I will be taking it in for inspection and will then be setting it up to work out of.

65chevy
06-05-2010, 08:25 PM
dave if firing order is rite then check fuel injectors they are common for bad injectors napa sell updated kit cheaper than dealer by 250.00 dollars

njcarting1
06-05-2010, 10:29 PM
what`s up people? I`ve been saving my money from detailing and was hoping to buy a trailer next year. Well, my uncle has a chevy astro cargo van that he is selling for a $100. My father who is a mechanic has done all the work on the van. My uncle just needs to get it out of his drive way. The van is solid and when i looked at it my mind started running with all the things i could do with it.

What do you guys prefer using.......van, truck or trailer?

Thanks!!!:)

they will all work at that price

tuscarora dave
06-05-2010, 10:41 PM
dave if firing order is rite then check fuel injectors they are common for bad injectors napa sell updated kit cheaper than dealer by 250.00 dollars

Thanks for the advice, I`ll keep it in mind but I am pretty sure I didn`t get one of the new plug wires on securly. Going over to check into it next week after I get paid. once I check it out and put the oxygen sensor on it, it is going to the inspection shop.

DT08
06-07-2010, 08:34 AM
I`m so pissed. My uncle sold it to the junk yard for parts. He only $150.00. Still trying to understand his logic behind doing this when I said I wanted it.