PDA

View Full Version : A Little Help Here

Beemerboy
05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I did this car yesterday, its a regular customer of mine. She rubbed up on something and got paint transfer on the side mirror the grainy plastic part. I have tried mineral spirits, APC with a brush and clay. None of which came close. I know that lacquer thinner will work but it will take the finish off the plastic

I`m at a lose as to what to use.

JohnHenry
05-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Dave,

I had a similar situation where I was able to remove the transferred paint from the scratches by using a sharp dental tool (from my gunsmithing stuff). Also, try dipping the dental pick in the mineral spirits.

Obviously this will not remove the scratches, but will make them much less evident.

Jay

04Si
05-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Try the magic erasers they usually will get the worst of this out. You run the risk of more gouges with a dental pick if you are not careful, use this as a last resort.

bigron62
05-02-2010, 01:14 PM
i would consider removing it and repainting the plastic or just get a new mirror if she is real picky .

mrclean81
05-02-2010, 02:35 PM
prep sol might work also

Beemerboy
05-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Its not bothering her. As much as its me. Plus I have a jet black 4x4 coming in that has blue paint all over one side, guy ran over spray can of paint. He has plastic farieings. Its going to be a challenge to get off

Mindflux
05-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Try the magic erasers they usually will get the worst of this out. You run the risk of more gouges with a dental pick if you are not careful, use this as a last resort.

But then you run the risk of flattening out the texture. Magic Erasers are abrasive.

Poorboy
05-03-2010, 06:19 PM
But then you run the risk of flattening out the texture. Magic Erasers are abrasive.

yup :rockon

Try soaking a cloth in APC and let it hang over the mirror for a while ... just make sure it doesn`t dry and then gently scrub it with a tooth brush or soft nylon brush ;)