PDA

View Full Version : Ancient car waxes???

Pages : [1] 2 3

tuscarora dave
05-01-2010, 12:51 PM
This thread might appeal to our older members here at DC. Now I am not suggesting that any of our members are ancient but the fact remains that a lot of the younger members may have never seen let alone used any of these old waxes.

Recently I was given a tin of 20+ year old wax made by BAF industries. It is a hard Brazilian carnauba paste wax. The other night I applied a coat of Black Hole and a coat of EX-P. After sufficient cure time I applied a coat of this old W-41 paste wax and it looks fantastic. I like old stuff to begin with so I got to thinking that I may start collecting old tins of car wax.

I have heard that today`s V.O.C. compliant paste waxes while as nice as they are just don`t have the longevity of the older non V.O.C. compliant paste waxes. Is there any truth to this statement?

So today I was milling my way around a flea market and I found these old tins of wax. I payed $1 for all 3 tins. The one was never opened and is seems to be perfectly preserved. The other 2 while thay have been opened are still usable.I intend on trying out the Classic Quick Wax on my own car the next time I need to wax it.

The purpose of starting this thread is to get some feedback from our older members who may have used some of this stuff. and to just have a place that you can post photos and or thoughts on any old waxes you may have used in the past or still may be using. I just thought this might be an interesting thread to follow. Thanks in advance for any involvement in this thread, TD

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/001-9.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/002-13.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/003-10.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/004-10.jpg

Ronkh
05-01-2010, 01:56 PM
My wife can`t understand cuz she remember me and her father only waxing our 2/3 times a year.

bigron62
05-01-2010, 06:46 PM
ive got a new tin of simoniz car wax ...yep the arm breaker paste ..picked it up in peru a few years back ...ive got nightmares about that stuff ..i learned to detail on a 69 imperial 4 door

Ronkh
05-01-2010, 07:04 PM
remember blue coral?

JaredPointer
05-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Rain Dance. :)

G.T.Subie
05-01-2010, 07:44 PM
My pop used the Quick Wax years ago. I learned not to wax the entire car in the sun with that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronkh
05-01-2010, 08:04 PM
kit wax :)

black bart
05-01-2010, 08:10 PM
All waxes mentioned in this thread are not that old.
Blue Corral was long after Vista and Simonize and Dynamite cleaner were years before that.

Larry A
05-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Remember, Johnsons Car Plate, Johnsons Carnu, Johnsons J-Wax. Simonize Paste Wax ,Instant Simonize , Simonize Vista ,Simonize Body Guard, Simonize Body Sheen. Dupont #7 Auto Polish, Sevenite , Sheild, New Car wax. Hutcheson Waterproof Wax , Holingshead Venus wax, Aura, Mitchel Wax, Porcelanize, Blue Coral cleaner and sealer, Slax Super X, Lustur Seal, Autobrite, and others that I cant think of right now.

bigron62
05-01-2010, 08:38 PM
i used to use a product called CAR SKIN .. awesome chemical oxidation remover

tuscarora dave
05-01-2010, 08:59 PM
All waxes mentioned in this thread are not that old.
Blue Corral was long after Vista and Simonize and Dynamite cleaner were years before that.

Thank you sir.:D Do you have any oppinion as to the validity of the non VOC being longer lasting than the VOC compliant waxes?

01GreyStangGT
05-01-2010, 09:42 PM
I saw Westley`s polish at my mom`s house.

cartoysautospa
05-01-2010, 10:38 PM
ol dupont # 7 was what I started with back in 1969.......... man that stuff was great, but hard on your arms .lol

black bart
05-02-2010, 02:21 AM
ol dupont # 7 was what I started with back in 1969.......... man that stuff was great, but hard on your arms .lolI had a can of Dupont # 7 sitting in the garage until a couple years ago.

I was cleaning the place and threw it away, I probably could have sold it but the can was rusty and not in good shape.

What I remember most about those old waxes is how hard it was to remove. :eek:

Dynamite cleaner was good for removing heavy oxidation it was one of the best back in the 40`s.

Car care has come a long way since then, I no longer use any wax.

Larry A
05-02-2010, 10:20 AM
i used to use a product called CAR SKIN .. awesome chemical oxidation remover

I remember Car Skin. Also Car Groom, which they called the cosmetic for cars.