PDA

View Full Version : Taping

Bobby D
03-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Is it neccessary to tape off the whole vehicle before buffing? Do detail shops do this to everycar they detail. Seems like a pretty long process. Please let me know what is the best to do??:band

Beemerboy
03-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Bobby

Any detail shop that is going to do the right job will tape off the trim. I do on about all the cars I do so that I don`t have to spend additional time cleaning the trim after. Most all cars that I do I go over 5 to 7 times so there is a huge chance of getting the trim full of product!

I know that detail shops in my area (no ca ) are not taping but most are all hack shops

Bobby D
03-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. How long does it take to tape a car? Obviously I have never done this before. Is there any tricks to taping the bigger areas of the car?

Beemerboy
03-15-2004, 02:37 PM
10 to 15 minutes is my guess. I always go over the door trim and handles. Seems like a lot of work but when you have to clean them after its a lot easier to tape.

89GTA
03-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Beemerboy, do you just use regular masking tape or a special tape you find is better?

Beemerboy
03-15-2004, 04:01 PM
The tape I use I got at Orchard Supply its blue and is designed for taping walls. It does not have a lot of glue on the back and is easy to work with and does not leave any residue

kimwallace
03-15-2004, 05:50 PM
I use painters tape ... the blue color ... 3m makes it as well as other people ... in fact the stuff at walmart works very well ... the nice thing about the blue tape is that it comes off easy and no residue.

groebuck
03-15-2004, 09:46 PM
I WISH the body shop that did my car taped! they got product on my trim and stained it , scratched my metal trim around door and windows and burned the rubber trim around my sunroof - a nightmare!