PDA

View Full Version : Beach Sand? What the heck?

MirandaDetailin
04-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Hi Guys.
My wife and I did an interior detailing for a customer on a 92 Jeep Cherokee, it smelled like mildew. As we were cleaning the trunk it had sand that kept coming up evening after brushing and brushing and vacuuming. He said it can from Florida so it was diffidently beach sand.
Any suggestions as to how to get that sand out? Or do I have to just keep brushing till all the fibers pull out!

Ronkh
04-17-2010, 10:13 PM
metro vac

slowride66
04-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Carpet can hold more than 10 times its own weight in sand.

If the nap is extra plush than more.

I have only found 3 ways to take care of this.... so far.

With a powerful shop vac bang on the carpet with your hand or something thant wont hurt the vehicle until all the sand is POPPED to the surface & then suck the sand off the top.

Very time consuming & tiring.

#2 Gut the interior & beat the carpet over a fence or a line like before vacuums were invented.

#3 Prevention Plastic mats with a lip around the edge is the best way to go.

I have http://www.huskyliners.com/

I keep a brush under each seat in my Suburban so that each door has a method of removal.

May be crude but effective.

SR66:bigups

Mr. Clean
04-18-2010, 03:44 PM
...With a powerful shop vac bang on the carpet with your hand or something thant wont hurt the vehicle until all the sand is POPPED to the surface & then suck the sand off the top.

Very time consuming & tiring.

I use the same technique and yet it is tiring, yet effective. On removable carpeted floor mats, hang `em and beat `em just like they did in the days of yore with rugs. Experiment: vac the mats thoroughly, take them out and beat them and scratch your head wondering where all this "grit" was hiding.

slowride66
04-18-2010, 04:01 PM
I have often (when I am beating off the carpet):eek: want to invent a vacuum propelled beater { I picture something antiquated like the wheels & gears of a locomotive with flailing miniature ball peen hammers gently beating the sand up & out of the nap}.

I recently cannibalized a old eureka for its beater head I am going to try to make something for this with this.

If that made any sense.

cmb371
05-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I live and detail here in NW FL. The white beach sand can be a pain. I use a pc set on 5with a black cyclo brush. Vac as the sand come up. Sometime laying the brush at a 45degree angle works wonders. It can take some time, depending on the car and carpet type. Good luck

MirandaDetailin
05-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks Guys, Great ideas! I tried the beating the carpet with something like a brush, which works well. but I recently bought a new PC so that idea of brushing while vacuuming is awesome! Definitely will give that a try.

slowride66
05-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Ok I looked in the acronyms list

WHAT is a PC?

MirandaDetailin
05-09-2010, 09:00 AM
PC stands for porter cable. At least that what I use it for.

cmb371
05-09-2010, 02:18 PM
This also works to deep clean cloths seats. You`ll be amaze how much dust and dirt come up. When you do the seats you might have to use a cloth mask. I do.